Calling All Ex Bank Workers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4417 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"and they are making huge internal changes in how they operate which in the long term will benifit the customers"

And, as a plc, presumably the shareholders too?

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

browne all bank staff can be prosecuted for leaking "insider" information

even posting something simple can be seen as gross misconduct if caught.

Apologies for this one, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE show some respect for Michael Browne. I have the highest respect for Michael and the help he has given many people. His comment directed at me was light hearted banter from a number of years on bank charges forums.

Slap Wrist for you(or chinese burn to you):-D

You are wrong as well on the prosecution thing.

Protection of whistleblowers : Directgov - Employment

That is about whistleblowing.

BUT 100% correct on misconduct. Those who post against their employees can be sacked for gross misconduct.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

"and they are making huge internal changes in how they operate which in the long term will benifit the customers"

And, as a plc, presumably the shareholders too?

You know and so do I, that there are times when you are within an organisation that processes and procedures that, at times, ties you in knots are so much better when the bank brings in or makes the common sense approach. Does that benefit Staff in that their lives are made easier? Does that benefit customers who do not jump through hoops? Or does that benefit shareholders in that people may have more confidence in that financial institution? It's about perspective. Would you say the same if it was not a plc?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

"just becuase the banks win doesnt mean customers have to loose"

I dream of a world where that is the case.

My comment was meant to be light-hearted, I gather it didn't come across that way.

In other news you may be interested to note that Halifax is one of the organisations Nationwide is using as an example. That amuses me if Halifax is itself making massive changes to that way it does things.

I'm in agreement with you both, frankly I believe life would be a lot easier if those at the top had a regular relaity check of life on the ground. Perhaps once every quarter they could pick some gripe raised by staff on the ground and see what its all about.

BTW I gave serious thought to being a whistleblower with regard to charges but didn't because I wasn't sure it would get anywhere. given that there had been two massive discussions on the CEO's blog about charges and the huge level of medai courgage I believe you could make a powerful argument that Nationwide put its interests before that of consumers.

Indeed every bank and BS has on this.

On a positive note I usually have some success removing the kind of rules you speak of, but it does get tiring trying to get someone with authority to see the blindingly obvious.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Indebtstudent, I cannot speak for others, but there are discussions with staff and those at the top on a regular basis as to how to do things better. We have things which are called "work out" events and "town hall" events which are throughout the group.

My personal opinion of the CEO is that he is progressive and can see himself, there are examples I am aware about but will not post on, where the CEO has looked at a process and effectively thrown it out because of the length of time things were taking.

You may wonder, why I am very vociferous on the bank I work for. It is because I know why something is being done, I know that we can give feedback and suggestions that those at the top will look at from a staff perspective, and I know examples which are making improvements for the benefit of customers both now and things for the future.

I know the bad points as well, but if I thought about all the bad points I would probably be on here as a disgruntled ex member of staff. Just my opinion.

The sort of practices you speak of are best practice and I truly wish they were more widespread. Nwide claimed to be open & honest but, certainly at a local level, there was an atmosphere which made it clear that you speak up safely so long as you were saying the right things.

Nobody would accept that a policy or procedure was ineffective, unworkable or simply wrongheaded, even where they plainly were.

There was that, the general decline in the quality of staff (I could count the long servind staff on one hand in most branches), and that whole lying to thousands of members thing (we will defend you case in ful blah blah balh).

And then we got a little booklet saying one of Nationwide's core values is that they don't misleadd. Hmm.

sorry folks but I still don't buy the 'banks are trying their hardest but can make the occassional mistake' line. As far as I can see, and I'm not being cruel I promise, you are fooling yourself. Only this month two more programmes on Tv illustrated the folly of these institutions and the cruellty in which they treat those who bank with them.One programme pointed out that despite the credit crunch and massive losses banks bonuses to staff still went to £6.5 billion pounds!!! I except that most junior staff don't get massive bonus payments but doesn't that just mean that are being had as much as us. The second programme was panoramas one on how the recession is hitting us all. It was a bit glib at times but one point stuck out. A poor middle aged man who couldn't afford his bills anymore,due to infaltion,going through the piles of letters sent to him. It was terrible when he got to the 15th or so letter and said 'look a letter from the bank saying they havn't paid a bill. Thats says it's cost me £50'!

Saying we are progressive, understanding and have focus groups at the town hall just doesn't cut it Im afraid. These are real people being destroyed not just bank account numbers. People will only start trusting banks again when they see actions not words and flip charts.

One postive is that it appears credit unions are making a strong comeback. Perhaps we will end up back in the days of building societies who shared their profits with all their customers. I hope and think that at the end of this credit crunch the banks, city and the finiancial institutions will find themselves at the wrong end of a government backlash to ensure that this never happens again.

Don't mean to sound bitter but I havn't found any bank yet that behaves in a reasonable way.

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy. What is essential in war is victory, not prolonged operations.

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

POST THE LETTER AND SIGN THE PETITION AT POST 88 ON THE LINK BELOW TO GET THE OFT TO INVESTIGATE THE CRA'S

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/campaign/153512-campaign-oft-against-unfair.html

I hold the banks (and others) responsible for the current state of the economy. The only way 100% mortgages and above could work is if house prices went up forever. The banks know better than anyone that this is not the case. Didn't stop the top brass getting huge bonuses based on short term performance.

Nationwide the worlds largest building society (I think), wants to be more like the banks. And the man championing this agenda got paid about one and a half million last year - doesn't he read the news?

He speaks of an organisation with traditional building society values with the size, efficiency and reach of the banks. All I see is those very principles going out the window at a time when they are needed more than ever. It is no accident that building societies took a large chunk of the money which was withdrawn from Northen Rock.

I just wonder how long it will be before more and more members (NOT customers!!!) become aware of Nationwide's worrying split personality.

I'm not going to suck up to anyone on this thread. Never will. I haven't spoken about bonuses, focus groups of people, or one off mistakes. I have spoken about the culture of change within an organisation by the people who work there. Not words but actual change brought about by staff working within an organisation.

Guest Alison82
I'm not going to suck up to anyone on this thread. Never will. I haven't spoken about bonuses, focus groups of people, or one off mistakes. I have spoken about the culture of change within an organisation by the people who work there. Not words but actual change brought about by staff working within an organisation.

I don't really care what the banks do, as long as they are not taking my money I'm fine

Edited by sea-sidelady

How would a bank find out anyway, if you made posts on your private home pc how would they know?

Alison, one day I will be able to answer your question in an open and frank way. The posts I make/have made are contrary to the Staff Code of Conduct. It is disciplinary and it is sackable.

BTW, further to the other comment you have made. I would always be interested in the beast I am fighting.

Thats all very well and the change may be happening for you but take a look on this website and see how it is helping your most vulnerable customers. Type in your banks and name and do a search. see what the complaints are and just for one second..only one..believe them. Then ask yourself if you would stand for this. It's not right,fair or the image of bankers most people were brought up with.

Bank manager used to be someone you could trust who had your and the banks best intrests in mind. Now it seems just the banks.

From professional to spiv in one generation.

These people have no choice. No bank account.. no direct debits..higher bills. But look at how they are treated. Like some stupid cash cow that will just keep paying out. I'm sorry but until the change is seen by them ..it doesnt count, its just words on a flip chart or a powerpoint demo.

Sorry I know it sounds harsh but banks really have shown people the unacceptable face of capitalism. I think the damage to your profession is going to be very very long lasting. Perhaps another generation...

(and i'm a lifelong capitalist!) :(

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy. What is essential in war is victory, not prolonged operations.

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

POST THE LETTER AND SIGN THE PETITION AT POST 88 ON THE LINK BELOW TO GET THE OFT TO INVESTIGATE THE CRA'S

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/campaign/153512-campaign-oft-against-unfair.html

but thank you anyway for your input Yourbank. It's greatfully received.:)

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

• 1 month later...
Perhaps everyone is aware that to post adverse comments on their own institution CAN lead to disciplinary under the staff code of conduct if they are current bank staff.

You asked if anyone who worked for the bank wanted payback? Answer seems to be a resounding NO(quite a result for the Banks' would you not say?)

RBS Group are not making redundancies at all, and in point of fact have no plans to do so at branch/business level.

Credit crunch and bank employees being sacked? In the City maybe, but not the branches. We are firmly recruiting more staff. People may not necessarily want to work in a bank but the pay and overall package is, in my opinion, not tempting me to leave the RBS Group.

Pay, staff benefits and how they treat you within the Group. I don't see the good times being over tbh.

:eek::D

Sorry just saw this and had to bump it.

RBS have a business model for Bank Charges that is so close to the crime of extortion in Scotland that its not funny. Their greed has been their downfall.

I think the good times might be well and truly over for them.

**Owned**

Oh and I hope you enjoy your profit sharing this year.

• 1 month later...
Alison, one day I will be able to answer your question in an open and frank way. The posts I make/have made are contrary to the Staff Code of Conduct. It is disciplinary and it is sackable.

BTW, further to the other comment you have made. I would always be interested in the beast I am fighting.

It`s almost exactly the same in the bus industry. Just check out Bloodbus to see what I mean, a driver writes a blog, First group get wind of it and threaten anyone who posts on the forum with the sack, but they have trouble tracking down the guy with the blog cos he conceals his identity. Same with the banks.

• 2 months later...

Originally Posted by Alison82 viewpost.gif

How would a bank find out anyway, if you made posts on your private home pc how would they know?

How condescending does that sound? Disgraceful attitude to have...

Alison, it is impossible for his employers to find out, not only that but they couldn't really care less about one little fish amongst a sea of thriving sharks!

yourbank, at the end of the day there are loads of bank employees I chat with on other forums who are as blunt as can be and they do not care - if it is factual and their 'personal' opinion then so what? What the hell has my opinion got to do with my employer? I've signed the secret service act as an ex civil servant but that did not mean I cannot speak openly and factually about my job - it means I cannot speak factually about cases, processes and people!

Yea, different if I am say a paedo and run a school - then of course my personal opinion and views would matter as it would have a bearing on my ability to perform my duties.. Your commenting on a public forum does not matter in the slightest and to be honest, regardless of what you may believe, you've never sat down and chatted with your chief exec (i.e. goody) nor do you know him on a personal level so please get off your high horse and stop acting 'big'. Fred 'Goody' Goodwin wouldn't change policy cos a bank clerk asked or suggested it - we both know that. He looks down at you guys as the plankton - accept it.

Sorry, he did look down on you lol - to think the man that used to earn over 5m a year is unemployed signing on at Paisley West JC+! Pure bliss, helps me sleep better at night!!!!

p.s. I'm an ex bank employee and offer this in a neutral opinion. I worked for Natwest (RBS Group) & YB and they are crap - I didn't even bank with them when I worked there! They are shocking and I would say this to the CEO's face - and I did meet him, just to add salt to your hurting wounds (I met 'Goody' when he was a humble CEO at YB, 1997 if memory serves me right)! Never met him at Natwest and was in very high position.... hmmmm, maybe after his knighthood (in 2004 ish) he classed us little people as **** - one ponders?

Enough said.

Edited by SilverLining

SilverLining.....

There is always light at the end of the tunnel - we just have to beat the CRA's in order to see it...

Silver lining, I was sacked yesterday. I hope you don't mind if I don't answer you for the time being. In time, I am sure that I will be able to answer you. I was very paranoid that what I did on the forums would lead me to a place where I would not have a job. I was proven 100% right. I know my place.

Silver lining, I was sacked yesterday. I hope you don't mind if I don't answer you for the time being. In time, I am sure that I will be able to answer you. I was very paranoid that what I did on the forums would lead me to a place where I would not have a job. I was proven 100% right. I know my place.

I am sincerely sorry to hear that bad news, I can understand your feelings at the moment..........if the reason was of your activity on the forums makes me even more upset and angry....I do feel for you but then again....the same happened to that HBOS man Mr Moore and again shows the morality of Banks in general..................folks should demand their salaries be paid in cash and to hell with the greedy Bankers.

I repeat I am sorry to hear about your dismissal.

regards ...sparkie

• Haha 1

How did they find out? I am so sorry to hear you lost your job.. it's bad times right now :(

What did you do that was so wrong?

How did they find out? I am so sorry to hear you lost your job.. it's bad times right now :(

What did you do that was so wrong?

There is another thread on this forum which explains what I am going to say and what I am not going to say. Unfortunately, the reason is gross misconduct and that is as far as I am allowed to actually post on the forum.