Advice needed - trader refusing to return money

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5796 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In March 2007 we agreed to buy a Toyota Townace from someone we considered to be friend - who deals in exporting and repairing vehicles. The total cost was £1200. He told us it needed some work doing on it which would take a few weeks - we gave him £560 -stupidly without asking for a receipt as he was a friend, and partly because in taking it from us he was doing us a favour in stopping us spending it on something else.

By July after many promises from him, the vehicle was still not ready but knowing he was busy and not wanting to fall out we borrowed a neighbours car to tow our caravan. By December - many promises later, and by this time he had told us several times that it was ready, taxed tested and towbar and he was 'bringing it to you tonight' - we paid a visit to his garage - it is some miles from our house so not somewhere we could go everyday. we saw the vehicle in his yard - wrecked, storing bits of old cars, ready to be weighed in. When confronted he admitted it had never been roadworthy but that he had a Toyota Lucida lined up for us which we could have in a few days. Needless to say - same old promises two or three times every week until May this year when we'd finally had enough. He promised us (again) if he didn't have the vehicle for us in three days he would bring our money back - and here we are still waiting. We've bought another vehicle elsewhere. This so-called friend is still trading, still promising, almost everyday, that he has the money - until we say we will call to collect it !

My husband is reluctant to fall out - I am all for exerting a bit of pressure now but I'm not sure where I stand without a reciept as proof of giving him the money - although a neighbour was there when we gave it to him. I have completed and saved a moneyclaim online form. I am thinking of sending him a letter before action but I'm wondering if this the right way to go about it. Obviously reason and tolerance haven't worked. I'm happy to name and shame him but not just yet

My husband is reluctant to fall out

What, he still regards this person as a friend? The person that has taken your money and constantly lied to you for the past sixteen months?

My advice is, send your LBA and get your claim in. If you don't you will never see your money again.

Your husband might consider him a friend, he obviously sees you as mugs.

How many others has he done this to and how many in the future will fall for his lies.

As gwc says, but first write recorded delivery giving him 7 days to return your £500 and tell him you will use the courts if necessary.

If it hasn't turned up then issue a LBA and give him a further 7 days, then issue a summons.

Unless you are prepared to go all the way to court, then just forget it and move on.