style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5684 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:mad::mad::mad: Hi all

Last night when I got in from work I had received a letter from my L/A. THEY ARE STILL MAINTAINING THAT I MUST PAY BAILIFFS AND I AM ON HOLD TIL 20TH OCTOBER.

Sorry for shouting, but I am in tears with all this. I am in dispute with L/A as I have sent a letter of complaint to L.G.O LAST week. A sum of money has *gone missing* WHICH I had taken from my pay packet-I have paid it-it WAS taken from ME, so that in itself is *dispute???* And yet the Council WON'T take the case back from the bailiff!!!!

What more can I do???????

I do not know where to turn now and I am near suicidal with all this.....Please please please please help!!!

Thanks

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sugar, have you spoken to your MP about this?

Also, I see Tomtubby is around this morning, perhaps she can have a look? (can't seem to pm her)

Please don't give up xx

Hi KJD

Thanks..no not spoken to mp....I am going to have go bankrupt next month because of all this....sat here at work in tears...can't do my job...this is affecting my life....I feel so down.Tomtubby - yes has helped me with this case and I am just waiting for advise....oh gosh.....it's all too much.........................:(

I cannot believe that this local authority have still not addressed this problem. This is very worrying. You and I have spoken a few times about this and I know that a very good letter was sent to the LGO but it can take a while to get a response.

Rossendales do know that there is no likelyhood that they can gain any entry into your property and in fact they did return this debt back to the council. And yet, once again your local authority have bounced it straight back to them again. The COUNCIL are very much at fault here.

I do know that you are planning to file for your own personal bankruptcy because you simply cannot take any more of the constant threats of bailiffs and although I understnad this, it is such a shame that this has to happen. I am quite confident that the LGO will find this case awful, but we have to wait for their response.

I know that you have also now received a form from the council to ask details of your income and you are sending this back to the council today. Hopefully this is all they require.

Please do keep us all up to date on this

Do NOT make yourself bankrupt!!!!

In time these idiots will realise that their current strategy isn't working and that THEY and not you will have to resolve the matter.

When threats and stupidity cease having the desired effect, all that is left is common sense and compromise.

You'll get there

Hiya Tomtubby:) (waving) Yes I sent the council a stern letter with income/outgoings, proof of income etc.I also e mailed them with everything scanned in so there is no confusion at their end!!:D

FairParking :) Hi I really really do not have a choice about bankrupcy, I wish I did, but this council have screwed me over financially for a number of years and I was working all the extra hours to pay THEM...2 att. of earnings, bailiff's AND trying to pay the years bill. 4 lots of money they have fleeced me for. I wish to god I wasn't going bankrupt but it is the only way forward for me.

Will keep you all informed. Thanks for the help guys/girls!!

You seem very sure that you must go bankrupt.....

It's a nuclear option, not one you can afford to take lightly and it's not the solution you might think it is, or what certain advisors make it out to be, I've been through this with my council - they threatened to make me bankrupt early this year for about £7k, and even issued a Statutory Demand, but when they found that I didn't have sufficient assets for them to grab, they bounced it back to the bailiffs. Who will in due course hand it back to the council.

I'm sorry to see the stress you're going through, I know something of the desperation you must be feeling, but you will come through it.

No matter how desperate you must feel, the council and the bailiffs are only following a programmed path, a bit like rats in a maze. And until they accept that you won't let them in, and can't pay anymore they will act in their robotic way.

You can get through this, don't give up.

One last thing and then I've got to get to bed.

You have successfully repaid debts of more than £26,000 over the last six years - you deserve a medal for that!

This is just when you need to keep going, and fight back.

You can do this,

Good luck and good night,

Chris.:)

Chris

I have also tried to persuade Sugarbabe not to go the bankruptcy route but she can see no future with the council unless she does do this.

We did in fact help with the letter to the LGO and I personally spoke with Rossendales on behelf of Sugarbabe and was told by them that in fact they had previosly returned the case back to the council as Nulla Bono ( no effects, nothing to seeeeze etc). Despite being returned, the council bounced the case straight back to Rossendales. Following my conversation with them about a month ago they once again returned the file back to the council and a letter was then sent to the LGO.

Sugarbabe is amazed that AGAIN the council have returned the case back to Rossendales.

Frankly, this will not look very good at all to the LGO.

We need to keep trying, because at this stage of the game going bankrupt won't actually help, she has already paid off the major debts, which I find amazing because I certainly wouldn't have, I'd have made them accept £1 a week for the rest of my life!

Now it seems to me that what's really getting to her isn't the money, it's the stress of the hassle from the bailiffs!

Bankruptcy will cause more problems than it appears to solve.

And she can fight back, they'll only bother with her if they think they can get to her, which they have - that's the key to this in my opinion.

Hi Chris

Thank you for the kind words- but without going into too much detail here, my ex left me over 26 thousands of debt to repay. I just didn't want to have to tell all here in an open forum so to speak.

I have NOT repaid all of it, just the rent arrears and household bills (and of course my L/A!), the amounts L/A and bailiffs were taking from me has made me behind with debts and indeed my own bills - simple terms, I have worked and worked for nothing except paying the bailiffs and council.

I have had a car repossessed when my ex did one, with finance outstanding on it!!! (joint names) all this happened in 2001/02 - whilst I was suffering severe depression. My ex has obtained further credit at my address since he left - I HAD to put a notice of correction on my credit file AND I have returned back to my maiden name because of all this. My solicitor took a year to locate him to serve divorce paperwork and then he disappeared again when we were trying to locate his whereabouts for the debts. He hadn't paid rent to the tune of over £3,000 and C/T was 2 years behind! Water, gas and electricity had not been paid for either. I was unaware of any of this. This man had control of the finances to pay the bills and upshot is HE NEVER PAID THE BILLS for 2 years and then he disappeared! At the time I nearly lost my home, so I have managed to repay ALL the rent arrears, (court costs now outstanding) I had the joint bank account fleeced when he went, I was left with NO MONEY whatsoever at that time with 2 kids to look after. My head was totally mush, I didn't know what day it was at that time, and I HAD to keep a full time job going, not easy when you have been screwed over big time!!

I had no idea of the severity of the finances till long after he left-I was in a total mess, emotionally, mentally, physically,and more importantly financially. I worked and worked and paid what I could to keep my home and C/T. I had help from C.A.B in 2003 and as usual just kept paying and paying but was never catching up with C/T. So weighing everything up and with all the advice I have been given I CANNOT see any other way for me to go and draw a line under all this. I have ALWAYS been borderline for claiming any kind of financial assistance - Tax credits etc etc. This is the only place that I have received any sort of help - I was and sometimes still do feel suicidal with all of this but I am not getting any younger and my health has suffered greatly because of the worry, stress etc. I cannot take credit for paying £26,000 debts, the car was refinanced and there is now over £8,000 outstanding on it., at that time I told the company to take the car as I couldn't afford the repayments. My ex wanted a newish car and I foolishly at the time agreed. We borrowed £4,000 for the car, paid over £4,000 back and he refinanced it to lower payments - I didn't know this-BALANCE NOW OVER £8,000. I haven't paid them for well over 5 years, but the letters still keep coming, this would be included in the bankrupcy. They have the car back.

The car I am using at this time is my dead brothers car, I was told by my nephew at the time of my brothers death that I could use it as I needed one for my job, I have to travel every day to another town for my job. This car is the car I am worried about in the bankrupcy, but that is in another thread.

I have read from this site that debts over 6 years old etc etc, reclaiming all my bank charges (around £1000 in the last 3 years and still happening) but tbh I do not understand any of this - I have taken advice from both C.A.B and CCCS (last year when my brother died) and these companies have both said the same - bankrupcy, I have tried the token payments of £1.00 but simply cannot afford them all-So you see this is why I am going bankrupt. I do not want to but what choice do I have. I have the full bankrupcy fees allocated to me by United Utilities and my court date is 12th November with the help of C.A.B.

I understand the implications and I know my credit will be shot at for ANOTHER 6 years but I really do not care at this time, my ex has screwed my credit file up anyway. This will allow for peace of mind and for me to draw a line under what that lying, evil man did to me and be able to afford FOOD for myself, something that I haven't been able to do for such a long long time. I rely on friends to buy food for me and my dog at the moment.

No I do not want pity or sympathy, there are people who are a lot worse than me and I have struggled and struggled with this decision and I have not taken it lightly. Thank you all for your help and support - it has kept me sane on here for the last few months. I just get so very weary with it all and I DO appreciate the fact that Tomtubby has helped me and shown me the way to stop these outrageous bullies(bailiffs) trying to extract monies from me that I do not have. It is a long battle and I am sorry for this long post but I hope this makes my post more understandable to why I have to go bankrupt.:(

Sugar x

Edited by Sugarbabe47
Forgot a sentence.
  • Haha 1

It’s no good. I can’t not comment on that, Sugar. That was such a moving and heartfelt post and I really feel for you. And that’s admiration as much as regret for your situation. Compared to some of your posts over the last week, you are now coming across as being in control. I can’t offer any advice re bankruptcy as never been there been there personally. But I will say that nearly two years ago I was at that awful point of desperation where I had resigned myself to two options – ‘doing a runner’ or the big S. But at the last moment I couldn’t go through with it because of my children and what it would have done to them. I eventually plucked up the courage to talk to someone and now it’s in the past (I’ve got a very forgiving and supportive family!) I say this to show that I can empathise with the despair you have obviously felt. And it’s a great testament to your strength of character that you are now coming through this, albeit having to go BR. I’ve got several acquaintances who have gone or are about to go BR as well and the one thing they all remark on is the overwhelming sense of relief it has brought. It doesn’t carry the same stigma it used to and if you have taken sound advice (which it sounds like you have) then you have to do what you feel is best for you and your children. I think the reason so many people on here have tried to put you off is because it is not something to be gone into lightly.

So, apologies to those CAGgers who don’t like posts to be too personal or mushy, but I just had to give Sugar a virtual hug and a pat on the back for the above post. And sincerely wish you every encouragement for the next few months.

There is a bankruptcy section on here if you haven’t already had a look. There was one very long thread running last year which followed a lady who decided to go bankrupt. I’ll try to find it.

All my very best wishes to you and yours.

Karen xx

PS Can I be there when you tell the bailiffs?!!

Sugarbabe47

I've just had the quickest of reads through your thread and wanted to ask you whether you have a solicitor? Putting everything onto a formal footing may be the answer in the circumstances. I may be slightly biased towards the legal profession, though, as I'm hoping to qualify as a Barrister.

I would reiterate the opinions about bankruptcy; don't, if you can avoid it.

I think that there is still some way to go in this case - it would be such a shame if you declared yourself bankrupt and then discovered that the case could have been resolved in another way, such as via legal advice (as opposed to the CAB, who are great, but not often legally qualified to solicitor level).

You may be entitled to Legal Aid.

KJD

Thank you. I would love to be able to take a picture of the bailiffs faces when I go bankrupt, but hey that aint going to happen!! They are scheduled to come again 20th October, its all beyond a joke.

And I aint laughing, crying yes but not laughing.

My kids have left home and I have only just recently told my daughter the situation -they have no money and I have done everything in my power to ensure they have the best start I can give them and to protect them from all this.

I already have a thread in the bankrupcy section, getting ready for the big day..:( Thanks Karen x x (for the hug!)

Soleil

No I do not have a solicitor. When I had one for my divorce and trying to locate the lowlife ex of mine I lost all faith in the legal system as at the time I was told it would cost ME to chase him for HIS debts and then NO guarantee that I could get him to pay his share of joint finances, basically I was told that because he had run I was left to pay HIS debts. I had NEVER EVER had a credit card until he talked me into getting one-I was the main account holder, and I NEVER used the damn thing!!:mad: How gullable I feel. A lot of stuff ended up in my name also as he could NOT get ANY credit. He used and abused me in all sense of the words.So legally it looks like its down to me to repay the debts.

Sugar x

Sugababe. I really feel for you. I was left in a similar situation in 2002, luckily not to the tune of the same amount as you were. I struggled for the past 6 years not realising there was help out there. You are a brave woman to have kept on fighting. If bankruptcy is the way forward to ease your torment and to get people off your back, and you honestly believe that then that is the way to go. You will be able to stand with your head held high.

Good luck.

(((((((((((((((((((((((sugababe)))))))))))))))))))))))

Beating the DCA's day by day

My fight:

NDR - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Bank of Scotland - CCA'd 12+2 passed

CFS - Win by Technical Knock-out!:lol:

HFC Bank - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Chantry Collections - CCA sent

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana :D

<---------- Have I given you top advice, have I made you laugh, click on the scales, it won't hurt you! :grin:

Sugarbabe,

Your post is amazing.

There's nothing I can add to some of the lovely posts that have been made, since I couldn't have put it better.

You will get through this, you'll see, and it will make you stronger and wiser.

I picked up on a point you made and only have this comment to make:

The damage Bankruptcy does to your credit file lasts for a long long time, only County Court Judgement's drop off the file after 6 years. When I referred to £1 a week for the rest of my life that's what I meant.

Keep your sunnyside up!;)

When things go wrong as they sometimes will,

And the road you're on seems all up hill,

When funds are low, and debts are high,

And you try to smile, but can only cry,

When care is pressing you down a bit,

Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

:D Couldn't resist it!

:mad:Hi.

Got home from work tonight at 9pm.....made a brew and sifted through my mail, and then I saw it....:eek:Letter from LGO. I didn't want to open it before I had chance to have a decent brew and some toast for my tea. Well I opened it LAST...I just couldn't believe what I read, I had to re read it over and over again. Law, law, law....sick to death of that word, who's frickin LAW????

I will quote some of this damn letter, here goes:

"The law says that, before investigating a complaint, the Ombudsman must normally be satisfied that you have made a written complaint to the Council and that it has been given an opportunity to investigate and reply. The Ombudsman normally expects that the complaint should be considered through all the stages of the Council's complaint process and he has decided that 12 weeks should usually be allowed for this to happen.

From the information I now have, it appears to me that the Council may not yet have had this opportunity. So I am sending a copy of your complaint today to the Council and I am asking the Chief Executive to put it through the Council's own complaints procedure, or to otherwise respond to your complaint"

Fact Sheets

I enclose....blah blah blah....

Next Steps

We will normally allow the Council 12 weeks to fully respond to your complaint: in this case that period ends on 05 December 2008. (In calculating the 12 weeks we have allowed for the fact that you originally compained to the Council on 12th September 2008.)

If the Council completes its response to your compaint before 05 December 2008 please telephone us on........Tell our Advisor that you have had this letter and quote our reference number. It would help if you have with you the Council's written or email response to your complaint when you call as our Advisor will ask you some questions about what the letter or email says.

If the Council has put your complaint through its complaints procedure then we usually expect you to complete that process before the Ombudsman will investigate the complaint. This is explained in more detail in the enclosed FAQ sheet.

As explained if your complaint has not been resolved, please contact us again once the 12 week period has been completed or the Council has sent you its final response to your complaint."

And enclosed was a fact sheet called.....PREMATURE COMPLAINTS.

I am at a loss for words, only swear words spring to mind....I have BEEN complaining SINCE 18th FRICKIN JULY 2008....by my feeble calculations coming up to 12 weeks, but hey, I have also had an ADVICE Company intervene on my behalf, COMPLAINING ALSO since July 08. Does that not count for anything in this god-damn country??? Livid....very very livid.:mad::mad::mad:

I am so so fed up. Any advice anyone. I DO NOT HAVE 12 WEEKS.

Oh I am angry, so bloody angry with this. I may as well open up my home and throw them all my frickin shirt off my back, and let them take what little I have, if they get past my BIG GERMAN SHEPHERD first.

The L/A will also now know that I am going B/R :mad:so they will be sending the heavies again to try and suck the blood from my drying veins. ah well better get to bed, these are telling on me working 10-12 hours a frickin day to pay this L/A and they STILL expect me to pay the bailiffs- they can go and stick their premature............................better go to bed before I say something I shouldn't, I hope the L/A and bailiffs have read this thread.

And I hope they sleep well.:mad::mad:

Night Sugar x

Edited by Sugarbabe47
ranting too much

good morning..well i hope it is the morning you are reading this & you have had a good sleep.

time to take a deep breath & p'haps take a step back from all the frustration this issue is causing you. getting wound up will not help your case nor how you are perceived by those that are giving you the troubles - the council.

as strange as it might sound [& forgive me if this Q is already answered earlier inthe thread] have you formally, by letter, ever requested the council to invoke their complaints proceedure regarding your issues with them? [this is what ombudsman is elluding to].

if not, you need to do this today & now.

this will compliment the letter going to the council from the ombudsman.

[i would also think he will include a rather stiff letter to the council telling them to get their act together also, but you will not be a party to that!]

you will hear from them [the council] very very quickly, as they will act upon [your] his forwarded complaint letter as soon as they get it.

keep calm, keep your chin up, but be firm with them. above all keep to your offer of £XX PCM & push for the [admitted] lost payments and compensation due to their muck-up.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Chris

I was hoping TT would whizz in this morning, but time yet.

Thanks a lot. Pressure??? I feel like a kettle just about to blow!!!!

I am getting angrier by the day with all this, if I had to speak to any official I would lose it big time so I am grateful that everything has to be in writing!!

I am sorry if my anger and frustration is coming out in my posts.

Sugar x

nothing to be sorry for, I've been their, still am actually, just waiting to be made homeless.

Just because the skies are falling doesn't mean you don't deserve a life and a laugh in the meantime.

And when you get used to being under siege you harden and learn to find ways around it - there are always ways around the problem, you just have to spot them.

Keep smiling:)

Oh Chris,

Now I feel bad, at least (fingers crossed!) I still have a roof over my head, hey got 2 spare bedrooms tho! Hmmm...got me thinking, maybe I should take in lodgers?? :D Would be an extra income, but I DO HAVE SERIOUS TRUST ISSUES....Nah don't think I could ever ever let anyone share my home again after what has happened!!! Any way my home is a tip at the moment, I am waiting for Kim and Aggie (how clean is your house!) to knock on my door - lol I wish.

My washing machine packed up a while ago (now damn well hand washing!), then after I read the letter from LGO last night, I tried to vent some anger out by hoovering, now the bloody hoover packed up last night, can't afford to replace both of them. Back to hand sweeping the carpets for me it is!! In this day and age ...lol...reminds me of times when I was starting out in my first home,with nowt! I never thought I would go back in time though!And certainly not at my time of life!

Yup. Like I said earlier there are a lot of people worse than me and I am thankful for small things, I thank you again.;)

:D see I can smile....Sugar x

Edited by Sugarbabe47
Forgot to say something