Help with my mother's computer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5827 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I need some help. My mum's computer has had a hissy fit and i have a nasty feeling it's died a horrible death.

When you turn it on it comes up with the following message.

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup by using the original setup CD Rom."

Does anyone know what this means and if it can be rectified? I have tried putting in the windows disc but nothing happens.

Any advice gratefully received.

****CAUTION*********

If your not sure what you are doing in the BIOS then DO NOT TRY as you can mess up over things. ***********************

******* There is a chance that you will lose all saved data on the C:/ so only attempt if there is nothing important on there.**********

Have you checked that the CD boots first within the Bios? you will need to boot the PC (watch the screen carefullyand it will say (to enter setup press / F11 / Delete / F8 or something) and then enter the Bios and make sure that the the CD/DVD drive is the first boot method. then F10 to save the changes and reboot the Computer, the Computer should then boot from the CD.

any problems

just Shout

JC

Edited by jannercobbler
more info

If my posts have helped you please use the scales at the top of my posts :)

Any opinions from Jannercobbler are strictly my own and I have no affiliation with any group or services.

The two most beautiful words in the English Language are "Cheque Enclosed" - Dorothy Parker

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/399-abbey-letter-sent.html

Me v Abbey - £3000 + Int + Costs + Credit File Cleaned.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Court Claim started - 31/5/2006

Allocation Questionnaire Filed - 24/7/06

Court Date allocated 31/10/2006

Me v Citi-Cards - CCA Sent 27/07/06

Me v Citi-Cards - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Capital One - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - CCA Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - DPA Sent 03/08/06

Hi there, try this: put in windows disc, go to Start - from the menu pick Run, then Browse, from the drop down window select D: Drive (should show the Windows disc as being in D: then click OK. The programme should then start to run, follow the on screen instructions.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi there, try this: put in windows disc, go to Start - from the menu pick Run, then Browse, from the drop down window select D: Drive (should show the Windows disc as being in D: then click OK. The programme should then start to run, follow the on screen instructions.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Unfortunately that doesn't work from a DOS screen which I think the OP is inferring?

maybe you could move this thread to IT help for OP Please?

If my posts have helped you please use the scales at the top of my posts :)

Any opinions from Jannercobbler are strictly my own and I have no affiliation with any group or services.

The two most beautiful words in the English Language are "Cheque Enclosed" - Dorothy Parker

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/399-abbey-letter-sent.html

Me v Abbey - £3000 + Int + Costs + Credit File Cleaned.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Court Claim started - 31/5/2006

Allocation Questionnaire Filed - 24/7/06

Court Date allocated 31/10/2006

Me v Citi-Cards - CCA Sent 27/07/06

Me v Citi-Cards - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Capital One - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - CCA Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - DPA Sent 03/08/06

we had problems like this too think u need a man that does :)cos if your anything like me i couldnt sort it it was a trojan did it to us twice now got better virus checker but still have to be vigilant illl bump this for u and nudge a mod for u (i said nudge ;))xxkia

Below are the steps I would probably take with this error - if I wasn't in a position to take the drive out and plug it externally into another machine:

boot off a windows CD and select Recovery console.

chkdsk c:

If this says errors found and corrected or words to this effect, reboot and see if it has heped. If not, you need to replace the affected file - this depend of whether we are talking about XP or 2000 (not seen this yet in Vista) - from recovery console:

Windows 2000 instructions here: Sorry can't post link - as not made enougth posts - can PM it if it is 2000

XP with System recovery on:

C:

cd \system~1

cd _resto~1

dir

cd RPxxx (where xxx is the greatest number shown from dir command)

cd snapshot

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

with System recovery off (this will prolly need drivers reinstalling and may loose other settings)

c:

cd c:\windows\repair

copy system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Thanks all for your advice. I had another go with it but it just kept turning itself off when I tried anything. We got a man in and he's fixed it now - we could have bought a new computer for what he charged but my mum's happy so that's what counts.

Thanks again

xxx