Will I have to pay 9 years SORN fines?

preeder1963
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5859 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Your Open Question

Show me another »

Will I have to pay 9 years SORN fines?

I bought a 1978 Lambretta GP in about 1996 and had various attempts at restoring it and getting it roadworthy etc. After alot of money and a few years breaking down everywhere I gave up.

The tax ran out in Feb 1999 and the same year I sold my house and moved. The scooter was left in my dad's garage and I forgot about it. Out of sight out of mind and I did not revise my V5 registration document.

Now I am thinking of having another go at it and have looked at the online tax application and realised the thing should have been Sorned in 1999 - but I just can't rememebr the fuss back then about it. Any reminders in the interim would have gone to my old address - although I have had my car details up to date in the interim with DVLA.

If I now apply for an updated V5 and for a new tax disc am I going to be liable for 9 years worth of penalty? It looks to me like 9 years worth of back tax and possibly £1000 on top of that. In which case it gets crushed!

Welcome preeder.

The scheme only applies to vehicles where a licence is in force on or after 31 January 1998. It follows that vehicles that have not been licensed for a number of years because they have been taken off the road for restoration (e.g.), do not fall into the SORN scheme.

Your Lambretta was taxed for two months following this, so legally I suppose you are.

Will the DVLA charge you all that back time? that's hard to say, I wouldn't think so, then again knowing the DVLAs only mission is now to make money and not to reduce crime or tax evasion (as published) you wont find out until you send in the documents.

Just to reiterate though, I doubt very much they would charge you, they probably haven't even got a record of the bike any longer.