is it a legal requirement to give a reciet?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5852 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

we were having a dispute with a trader (acorn design) over the cost of a set of plans drawn for the house.

although we had a greed the cost of the survey and fees before hand we were disapointed in the level of quality of work and were trying to negotiate with the trader

the problems were:

being charged for a structual survey of the house which said there were no forseable issues then being charged arounnd £2000 extra for works such as upgrading purlins and rafters to meet building regulations.

we were also verbally assured that when we got the quote (25,300ish) that this would be the final charge and would include everything, we have then been charged for inspector visits and extras (reasons in next paragraph)

we were very unhappy at the extras as these were shown on our sets of plans, but the set of plans that acorn design passed to the builders were several versions old and were missing vital things such as the radiator in the hall (charged extra), the fireplace in the living room (charged extra) and the removal of the old leaking flue from the roof (charged extra)

we wrote to him with these concerns when his final bill arived, we then receaved anotehr letter with the bill again (increased by £30) with a letter explaining very few things and addressing none of our concerns but saying if it was not paid within 28 days further charges would be leveled ontop of the bill and intrest would be charged at 10% above base rate (currently around 6% isnt it making it 16% intrest)

we then paid this bill to avoid these charges with a further letter asking for our concerns to be addressed exspecially the concern about paying under duress along with a reciet to be sent.

a month on neither a letter detailing our concerns or a reciet has been recieved.

any suggestions or comments welcome

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Generally, there is no legal requirement for a receipt to be given. There are some exceptions, such as bureau de change. A receipt, I believe, must be given if requested in some circumstances. Some legislation requires post contractual inormation (i.e, distance selling regs).

In the absence of any documentation or proof of terms of a contract, a court would need to look at all the circumstances and determine what is reasonable if they cannot determine what was agreed to.

It is too late for you in this case, but ALWAYS obtain quotes etc in writing as well as their terms and conditions. If it isn't in writing, one can promise the earth and usually get away with it.

I would write to him demanding a receipt or face court. You could simply send a cheque for the original amount agreed and let him take you to court for the rest. It would be up to the trader to show that this was necessary and reasonable. If you pay any amount that you do not agree to, pay by cheque and mark it "paid under protest". You can then challenge the costs later in court.

cheque was sent and cashed a long time (a month) ago

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: