Help with retrospective planning permission

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5840 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. This is my first post on the forum, so Hi everybody! :).

Ok, ive been trying to find information now for ages on the rules about retrospective planning permission.

We had a new garage built and were told that we would never get permission to have it built, but that if we went ahead and then waited 5 years it would automatically be granted, retrospecively, provided that there were no complaints/objections within that time period.

Is this the case, only we cannot find any information anywhere that backs this up.

Any help or right direction pointing would be most appreciated!

thank you

There is a period of time whereby the local authority cannot issue an enforcement notice that requires you to demolish, the duration is around 5 years.

Permission is never automatically granted, you will need to apply for it as you would a normal application.

If your garage is within permitted development rights you may be able to request a certificate of lawfulness, which is a lesser fee that full planning.

You will probably need building control approval too.

These matters vary from authority to authority, you should telephone your local planning authority; they are usually helpful.

Retrospective planning is a risky business, as if you fail you may have to demolish. I would not apply unless you are selling.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.