Nursery Charging for Bank Holidays

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5827 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 2yo's nursery is great, he loves it, the staff are really nice and his development since he has been there is tremendous.... but theres just one thing that bugging me.

They charge me full whack fees for Bank Holidays... when, i might like to add, they are shut... no staff, no heating, no electricity, no chef, no cleaner... still charge me £30 for a day they are shut.

They also charge me fees for the week they are closed over the Christmas period, they only charge half fees for this week, but still.... no staff, no heating etc so I dont see why they should be charging me for a service that isnt availible.

I fully understand that they can charge me on days I decide not to take my son into nursery, or days when he is ill... as that is no fault of thiers and is my choice not to send him in. I understand that they have still provisioned for him for that day and have heating, staffing, etc to pay.

Anyone any ideas on this.... I am also looking to take my son on holiday for a week (haven stylee) but I am worried that I am going to have to pay them full fees for this week too.... Should I not be able to take a holiday if I give them say... 4 weeks notice and not have to pay thier fees ?

Any help is greatly appreciated, If you need to know where I live if its relevant, I live in Sefton near Liverpool, Merseyside.

Thanks in advance

Skye

HSBC Credit Card - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Received a blank form

Barclays Partner Finance - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Recieved nothing

GE Capital Bank - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Received signed true copy

Argos Card Services - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Received nothing

Hi

I had the very same query a while ago.

If it is their contract that you signed then yes they can charge for Bank Holidays.

Our nursery only charge for 51 weeks of the year so that the Xmas week isn't charged for.

So you need to look at the contract and see what it says.

Hope this helps

okay thanks

do you work bank holidays?

if not you still get paid for them whats the difference for a nursery worker? or should they not be paid for bank holidays and Christmas? its a shame common sense isnt used more often!!!

Leicesterlad I really don't think there is any need to be rude with your replys.

The OP asked a question that many many parents have asked before and it really not so difficult to answer without being rude.

I think that it is just a case of HOW the Nursery has broken down it's Charges to skyelet.

If the Nursery was to breakdown it's fees so that they were payable on a daily basis, in order to cover it's Costs, it MAY be more prudent for it to admit children on a 'first-come-first-served' basis, to ensure that it achieved it's maximum occupancy/revenue potential each day.

By Charging an annual fee, the Nursery is not only managing to set up a long term budgeting strategy, but skyelet is also securing a guaranteed place for mini-skyelet.

This could be especially important if the Nursery is popular, or there are limited places available in the Sefton area.

...:)

Well i was payin fees on a daily basis, when he was in monday weds and friday...

Now i pay the fees weekly, there isnt really a shortage of spaces, and Leisterlad, i do work on bank holidays and i do get paid for them, having to then pay for double care for my son isnt exactly helping low income familys...

Thanks for the constructive help guys. I shall confront my nursery and ask them how they justify charging on days when they have no costs to cover.

Not sure if all private nurseries are same obviously, but when my son went I had to actually pay to secure his place.....the fees were spreadout weekly/monthly and I paid the same each month, but it was worked out at the daily rate x Xnumber of days per year [EXCLUDING bank holidays] then divided equally per month.........are you sure this isn't how you're nursery has worked it out?

PJ xXx

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

okay lemme explain...

The fees as set out in T+C's were

£20 per half day ( 8 - 12 or 2 - 6, inc snacks)

£30 per full day ( inc breakfast, dinner and all snacks)

£135 per full 5 day week

I am still being charged £135 per full week no matter whether there is a bank holiday in that week or not.

And the Xmas week when they are closed, I have to pay half fees for the whole week they are shut.

Hi

You still need to check what it says in the contract.

I know we have to pay a retainer if we take child out for a holiday but not sure about the way they charging you for the xmas break.

If the nursery are registered with your local county council you could contact the Early Years team there and ask for advice.

• 1 month later...

They charge me full whack fees for Bank Holidays... when, i might like to add, they are shut... no staff,

Since when did any employer not have to pay staff on Bank Holidays?

There's 2 ways the nursery can operate............

1 - charge the same fee every week

2 - not charge for bank holidays and a couple of week's family holiday

But.............

A nursery isn't like a hotel. If your child doesn't attend, they can't fill the gap with another customer for the week.

So.....

If they charge like "option 2", they will probably have a higher weekly fee to make up for the things they can't charge for - so over the year you would end up paying the same amount.

British Shoe Corporation - won :) BT - won :) West Lancs Council - lost :-x 02 - won :) British Airways - still fighting :o STOP PRESS - RSPCA - daughter won with letters I wrote :)