What to do about excessive Bailiff fees?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I need some advice. It all started last July when I received a parking ticket for being parked in a residence bay without displaying any form of permit/ ticket. I appealed against the ticket as I honestly did not see any visible signs stating these parking restrictions and to top it all when I actually searched for the signs they were about 150 yards away and partially obscured by hedge over growth. My appealed failed and as I failed to lodge my representation within the statutory time limits I now owed London borough of Barnet £120. I failed to pay this and as a result it increased to £150.

In February this year I received a letter from Equita Certificated Bailiffs requesting payment of £223.39. I called them and agreed to pay £100 now and the balance by 14th March 2008. I travel quite a bit and totally forgot. On 18 April I received another Equita letter dated 16 April (Removal Notice) asking for the balance. I called on the 21st to pay the balance but was told that the cost was now £475.89. I wanted to know why the additional £352.50 as the balance was £123.39 as stated in the letter which I received. The person on the other end of the line was not interested in what was in the letter all he knew was that I had to pay £475.89. How do you reason with people that are unreasonable? At that point I dropped the phone.

I have since received 3 letters- Warrant of Execution (dated 21 April), Removal Notice letter (dated 23 April) and Bailiff Removal letter (hand delivered, dated 28 April). I have been advised by friends not to park my car outside my home. My wife who is 8 months pregnant is at home all day with our 14 month old son and is petrified and very worried with all these bailiffs’ threatening letters and visits.

I was prepared to pay the balance owed but it seems that they smelt blood and wanted more. Any advice on course of action to take would be most welcome.

I think you are more likely to get a response to your post in the Bailiffs Forum so have moved your thread to there.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.