Anyone else think this is disgusting?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5712 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Contact these people

About us

I think the metro are on very very dodgy ground here particularly as they are one of the principal forms of transport in Tyneside....Also they know full well that very few disabled people use electric wheelchairs to travel......Those that do tend to be totally immobile in body........The majority use the type of scooter your mother does & to ban their use is disgraceful as it will cause, throughout the region, many hundreds if not thousands a considerable loss of amenity.

How on earth do the people who make these unthinking decisions sleep at night

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

689404 I imagine an awful lot of the Metro staff are peed off about this as well......some will almost certainly have friends or relatives who fall into this category being discriminated against

• Haha 1

If their argument is to be followed then because occasionally, about twice a year, someone falls onto the track then the trams shouldn't run at all

Of course there are going to be accidents that's in the nature of daily life.........There's a risk to all who leave their home........ Are they going to stop the blind using the system..........Are they going to stop children..........No there is probably a great deal of truth in thinking this is based on economic grounds........Most such users are elderly so travel free............they may delay the trams slightly when boarding.........& with their scooter they take up more room than an able bodied passenger

These cretins who thought this up would probably like to ban mothers with pushchairs if they thought they could get away with it but if they tried then their true motives really would be exposed

Mr Garner could ensure there was a member of staff available at each station to assist scooter users.....problem solved........"we'll be consulting with disability groups"..........Should have done that before virtually imprisoning disabled people in their homes......Mr Garner.....another unthinking.......uncaring bloody bureaucrat

Wonder how long the 'consultation' will take....just long enough to cause many disabled great trouble no doubt....& anyway what's to consult...........no matter how you try Mr. Garner you can't discriminate against the disabled...........it's unlawful you Cretin

How many years has the Metro been running? & they exclude one group after just 2 accidents in how many years

No but they could have one person on each train who's duty would be to help

Forget the consultation it's no doubt a sham

The best thing you can do is for a large group of scooter users to converge en mass on a particular station & board one of the trams........lets see them trying to forcibly eject a load of disabled....& don't forget to invite all of the media

At the very least you might bring the whole system to a crashing halt if they refuse to move the tram after your boarding

I havent got a clue about trains!!

But I wish there were more like you!

My mum got a letter back from Nexus after my sis-in-law sent them an email, and they were quite narky with her, saying it 'wasnt discrimination, it was health and safety.' Time for Round 2 methinks :D

Ah! H&S......that old chestnut used by all & sundry to try & escape their responsibilities

The Metro is a public service & they have a strict duty not to discriminate against anyone & in particular the disabled. They cannot rely on H&S to avoid that duty.....they have to make an accommodating to suit all passengers & which complies with the H&S regulation..........just banning a certain user ain't gonna hack it for them I'm afriad.....or placing conditions on use which for some will be impossible to fulfil ain't going to either

Do as I suggest & complain to the authorities

If this was allowed to continue though, I can see the headlines when an accident turns serious, 'They knew this could happen and still allowed scooters on'.

I don't really see how a walking person could stop them shooting forward into the doors.

As long as they are seriously looking at a way to stop it happening, then I think it is probably the right short term measure.

I see your happy for the disabled to be confined in their homes, even short term,.........The Metro is a vital transport system for Tyneside..... also accidents happen all the time & in this case there have had a grand total of two! on a system that's been operating for years............I'm sorry but if we followed your logic even the able bodied wouldn't leave their homes for fear of an accident

Mrs Ryan I have already suggested who you should complain to......they can & often do take firms to court if they refuse to comply

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In assume she better not run out of anything then............Sorry but sounds no better than being in prison.......... let out once a week for good behaviour.

Not good enough I'm afraid ................never mind ALMOST going to court you must get the authorities to prosecute Nexis because if this appalling behaviour by the jobsworths is allowed it will be the thin end of the wedge believe me

The disabled confined to their homes until allowed to leave by the local transport company. Unbeleivable....It would be funny if it wasn't so bloody serious

Edited by JonCris

Are these days of her choosing & what happens if she's not feeling well can she arrange another day that same week or does she have to wait until the appointed day comes around again.

Your mum doesn't have to be involved to that extent. You can be her litigation friend & move things forward to legal action against this bunch

• 4 weeks later...

A mobility scooter is NOT a motorcycle & before anyone suggests it neither is it a car ........ It's a mobility device for the use by the disabled amongst us so rather than try to find ways of restricting their freedom of movement even more by introducing driving tests (for which they will no doubt have to pay) we should be making it easier for them to get out & about even if they are seen by some to be an inconvenience to the able bodied who must have right of passage at all times as their journey is infinitively more important than that of a disabled person:mad::mad:

Ban all vehicles everywhere then everyone will be safe............ apparently

Of course there are incidents it's just a fact of life but to single out the disabled who already have enough problems because of very few incidents compared to the number of scooters in use is nonsense

I bet compared to all other modes of transport, road or pavement, that per numbers of population disability scooters are the safest form of transport around

• 1 month later...

Good glad to hear the lawyers are on board, quite right too

There are far to many nasty little people in minor positions of power these days who's goal in life is to pick on the weak & vulnerable in the full expectation they can't fight back