Outlook Express problem - anyone?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone tell me why I keep getting paperclips showing up on all my incoming emails irrespective of whether theres an attachment?

If so, how do I get rid of this problem please...only recently started happening so have I clicked something I shouldn't? Driving me nuts trying to find the real attachments..

Thank you as usual..;)

LOL. :lol:

Sounds like you've enabled Tools, Options, Read, Read All Messages in Plain text.

If you receive an HTML message with that enabled, the plain text copy of the message appears in the Preview Pane and HTML as an attachment.

Check that first? ;-)

Also, what antivirus are you running? If AVG, Run the AVG Control Center

Click the big E-mail Scanner Button, then at the bottom of the same window click

the "properties" button

E-mail scanner properties will come up. Click the "configure" button.

UN-check the box for Outgoing "certify mail"

Click OK until you are back to the Control Center and then click the red X to close it.

Bookworm is quite correct; Anti-Virus software will often append a certification message to your email, which Outlook displays as an attachment. You could also check if you are using signatures attached to your mail; this commonly produces the same result.

Or you could of course swap to a real email client, which, amongst myriad other advantages, reports attachments properly.

LOL. :lol:

Sounds like you've enabled Tools, Options, Read, Read All Messages in Plain text.

If you receive an HTML message with that enabled, the plain text copy of the message appears in the Preview Pane and HTML as an attachment.

Check that first? ;-)

That box is not checked Bookie. Not too sure how to identify an HTML message from any other message though. The 3 checked boxes in the 'read' tab are:

mark message read after display for 5 secs,

Automatically download message when previewing in the Preview Pane

Show Tool Tips in the Message List for clipped items

Also, what antivirus are you running? If AVG, Run the AVG Control Center

Click the big E-mail Scanner Button, then at the bottom of the same window click

the "properties" button

E-mail scanner properties will come up. Click the "configure" button.

UN-check the box for Outgoing "certify mail"

Click OK until you are back to the Control Center and then click the red X to close it.

I run AVG and have followed your instructions (dare I do otherwise :D ) oh mighty one - thank you..

Bookworm is quite correct; Anti-Virus software will often append a certification message to your email, which Outlook displays as an attachment. You could also check if you are using signatures attached to your mail; this commonly produces the same result.

Or you could of course swap to a real email client, which, amongst myriad other advantages, reports attachments properly.

Hey, thanks, that looks interesting. I already have changed over to Firefox from IE and had no problems with it. I've used Outlook Express for yonks and only come across one other emailing system that I didn't particularly like, if I download the one above what happens to OE and all the messages I have stored? I take it you prefer this one, any particular reason you could share with me?

But that's probably cos I'm a girl and I like pretty things rather than big powerful things. :razz:
That would explain your infatuation with all things spicey then...

Back to the thread...use Thunderbird...it does everything that OE does and more, and it also has a great set of add ons like all things Mozilla. Best among these is Lightning that allows Thunderbird to behave a lot like Outlook (proper) with calendars and alarms etc...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Originally Posted by Bookworm viewpost.gif

But that's probably cos I'm a girl and I like pretty things rather than big powerful things. :razz:

That would explain your infatuation with all things spicey then...
Not as flattering to yourself as you'd think, dear. :razz:
  • Haha 1

Hey, thanks, that looks interesting. I already have changed over to Firefox from IE and had no problems with it. I've used Outlook Express for yonks and only come across one other emailing system that I didn't particularly like, if I download the one above what happens to OE and all the messages I have stored? I take it you prefer this one, any particular reason you could share with me?

You'll lose nothing. Like FireFox, Thunderbird very easily grabs everything (including contacts lists) out of Outlook and/or Outlook Express.

As to why use it, well, Thunderbird is to Outlook as FireFox is to IE; viz. it is vastly superior in pretty much every way. Some of the main features can be found here, but, like FireFox, TB's real strength lies it its near-infinite customizability through the use of add-ons and - if you're feeling brave - Chrome scripting.

Realistically, the only reason to even touch Outlook is if you are in a network Exchange server situation.

Thank you, I took the advice to change to Mozilla Firefox and I don't seem to have the slowness problems OE did so I'll take your advice and go Thunderbird, although I must admit, my desire for pretty backgrounds is not something I tend to need and I'm not so techi as to even attempt to understand what Chrome scripting is - but I'll give this a shot.

Many thanks indeed to the ever informative Bookie and to you Tezcatlipoca.