• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5076 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right the way through.

I dont think there should be stays on just to see this test case through.

This is the point I am trying to make.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The law is clear in this area.

There has already been thousands of pounds returned to customers.

If the oft win there will be a settlement of how much they can charge.

I personally do not think they can say 3 or maybe 6 or even 12 pounds are fair.

You know this is going to happen because the oft said they are not going to chase credit card charges under £12.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

They certainly have

its now the 2006 regulations

JOSH IOU---The payments have been made as Gestures of Goodwill and no lability admitted. There has been NO PRECEDENT setting case on Bank Charges. Barwick lost even though no one turned up, thousands of others lost as well by not attending court because they believed a templated MCOL would get them their money back.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

bookworm, thousands can refer to 2000.....I am looking for a source for verification and at present can only rely on the number of times I have read of people losing by default across all forums. THIS is not evidence though so I withdraw the comment thousands and replace it with hundreds until such time as I can find the source of my assertion.

However, I stand by the fact that no bank has been taken to court and lost on bank charges themselves(excluding OFT test case which has yet to be concluded).

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

:Dwhat kind?

However, I stand by the fact that no bank has been taken to court and lost on bank charges themselves.
Beg to differ again. I had the dubious honour to be the first documented win against First National Motor Finance, part of Abbey, in court, with a judge clearly stating that the charges levied were a penalty, back in November 06. Someone called Barcode told us he had won against Egg, but I can't remember when precisely. We've had wins against Citi, especially after they got cocky when they got a win in NI and decided to go to court every time. I could go on and on, but we have a few won cases in court, and I don't just mean by default either.

All this which is taking us far from the purpose of this thread, but I thought such worrying comments needed highlighting and querying.

All this which is taking us far from the purpose of this thread, but I thought such worrying comments needed highlighting and querying.

No kidding

You cant drop it can you?

Let's start again.

You said:

It does not matter how much they charge us if we were not given the chance to negotiate the price it is an unlawful amount.

The current Regulations say:

In so far as it is in plain intelligible language, the assessment of fairness of a term shall not relate...to the adequacy of the price or remuneration, as against the goods or services supplied in exchange

You have yet to persuade me that what you said is not incompatible with the Regulations.

But we also need to consider fully the implication of what you say. Let's suppose we are concerned with a hotel booking (what applies to a banking contract must apply to a hotel booking). The price advertised is for a certain amount. You book a room. The price was not individually negotiated. According to you it is an unlawful amount and, moreover, “the contract cannot be enforced in a court of law”. Are you telling me that if you stay in the room when you come to leave there is no obligation to pay?

Booworm, it wasn't precedent setting which is what I quoted originally in my initial eroneous post 1053.(please post evidence of the precedent setting case on bank charges alone).

To go back on topic, are you guys aware that the FSA are proposing that hardship claims are being defined as £500 worth of charges during the year? I have read this across other forums. The topic is interrelated as the OFT test case was the cause of the FSA waiver in the first place.

Booworm, it wasn't precedent setting which is what I quoted originally in my initial eroneous post 1053.(please post evidence of the precedent setting case on bank charges alone).
No, of course, it wasn't. Who said it was? Neither was Berwick (not Barwick) which you mentioned alongside the alleged thousands of lost cases you mentioned in your post.

I'm really not sure of where you are going in your reasoning, or even what is your point. First you mention that no case has set precedent in the matter, which I don't think anyone was disputing, you then say thousands lost their cases, then reduced to hundreds, with no evidence whatsoever to back this up (so far anyway), and all this in an attempt to show what?... I really don't know. I know it won't be the first or the last time, but I am confused. :wink:

Bookworm, Josh IOU says he did not agree with the stay on cases. What I have badly done is to state that there are people who have gone to court and lost on the same basis as going to court and won. For example, Barwick went to court on the same premise and thousands of others yet, despite this and the same legal arguments, he lost along with another claimant who did not turn up. The not turning up at civil court is an example, ie they filled in templated MCOL's, assumed the bank would pay out and didn't turn up to court. If the stays are removed then the situation could go the same way with one judge saying claimant wins and another saying claimant loses. The OFT test case will set a precedent. That was the idea I was trying to get across and I appreciate that the manner in which I was trying to explain that was not clear enough. Does my post make more sense now?

Why only lift the stay on hardship claims?

Are the banks saying they will only repay hardship cases?

Are you seriously saying one only qualifys as being a so-called hardship case if you have £500 on one claim?

You want to see the list of creditors I deal with on a daily basis. Then you will see why I get confused on simple legislation in a thread like this.

I rely on the acuracy of people on here to keep me on the right track. I am not just saying that I really do.

I might be able to create large posts like this on a thread but thats only because there is creative backround. I am crap at letter writing.

Which is where a site like this is extremely useful. I put that in bold to highlight the fact not to shout it.

You no its a shame this site was not around when I worked for Northern Rock. Thenmaybe the debt problem might have not goten so big. But lifes a pig and we all need to help each other.

;)Reminders here and there are verry helpful as there is alotof info and it is verry easy to get caught in all the hype if you like.

I am sure thereare many others with an arm of a list of creditors who they owe dosh to. But my name was mentioned so....

I still would love to sit opposite the bank in court and makethem look at the list I have And say look you cintributed to this and you could of done something about it ages ago but you did not.

I read merely the first two statements you wrote. apologies but will re read the rest of the post now.

Define hardship?

Not being able to pay off bills without getting charged.