Some banks ask 'have you been bankrupt'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend has applied to open a current account with Natwest, one of the questions was had she been bankrupt? When I last banked with Natwest this wasn't asked on opening an account.

Say years ago you had been bankrupt but it was now off the credit reference files (you had nice clean files) do you think they would turn you down?

Anyone had experience of this.

I was with TSB and had to go through hoops to get out my wages each week,

Went into RBOS and explained the my circumstances and opened an account straight away and recently the cooperative bank with no probs.

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 3 weeks later...
Would the administrator of the bankrupt allow them a bank account?

Of course they are allowed a bank account, albeit only a basic one, just only a few places offer them, Nationwide & Co-op are the popular ones for undischarged bankrupts.

Seq - I think NW Step is only for discharged.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Of course they are allowed a bank account, albeit only a basic one, just only a few places offer them, Nationwide & Co-op are the popular ones for undischarged bankrupts.

Seq - I think NW Step is only for discharged.

I thought that absolutely anything of a financial nature, once a bankrupt, had to be approved by the administrator?

Anyway, this is useful-

Bankruptcy - Bankruptcy Bank Accounts

I thought that absolutely anything of a financial nature, once a bankrupt, had to be approved by the administrator?

Anyway, this is useful-

Bankruptcy - Bankruptcy Bank Accounts

Not exactly - a budget is worked out and a % of surplus income, if any, is then agreed upon to pay for 3 years and then it is up to you what you do with any money you have left.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

hi

When my hubby was made bankcrupt he was allowed a step account from Nat West.

7 years later when his file was clear he went to upgrade it but when he came accross the question "have you ever been bankcrupt?" he answered honestly and said yes and got turned down.

When he went into the branch and spoke to someone they asked when he had been bankcrupt and he explained that he was discharged and his file now clear and she said tick "no" then, so he did and got accepted. She said the question is worded wrong and should be "are you bankcrupt?"