GE Money refusal to pay back ppi

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please could you advise me if possible on how I can respond to GE Money.

I have received a letter back from GE Money informing me that they will not be refunding my ppi. They included my copy credit agreement on which I have signed next to the cross the sales assistant marked for me to sign and my copy account cover policy. They have written that recent fines by the FSA relate to policies purchased after Jan 05 and mine was purchased March 03. They wrote the process they had in place at the time of the application was to make it clear the policy was not compulsory and I had 30 days to contact them and cancel if I wanted to. (At no stage was PPI discussed during the application). They also stated that following my DSA request they were sorry they couldn't provide me all the information I requested and if a refund were appropriate they would estimate the unknown premiums paid by using an average of the known premiums paid. GE Money end the letter by saying I can contact the FLA if I remain dissatisfied.

In the letter I sent GE Money I said I wanted a refund due to following:

1. having recently looked at the paperwork for my store card I now realise that I have been paying for insurance that I did not know I had taken out so could not have been explained to me.
  2. your salesperson did not discuss account cover premium with me at all or inform me that the policy was optional. The application in store was a very quick process where by the sales person asked my name address and phone number and then asked me to sign next to the sections marked with a cross. Your sales person did not tell me in store I was signing for Account Cover Premium. I believed I was putting my signature to an application for credit.

3. I am concerned the sales person that sold me the policy has no financial background and the policy was not sold in my best interests.

4. Also due to the fact GE Money have been fined by the FSA for failing to treat your customers fairly when selling Payment Protection Insurance and I do not believe that my policy was sold in my best interests.

Any advice please.

Please could you advise me if possible on how I can respond to GE Money.

I have received a letter back from GE Money informing me that they will not be refunding my ppi. They included my copy credit agreement on which I have signed next to the cross the sales assistant marked for me to sign and my copy account cover policy. They have written that recent fines by the FSA relate to policies purchased after Jan 05 and mine was purchased March 03. They wrote the process they had in place at the time of the application was to make it clear the policy was not compulsory and I had 30 days to contact them and cancel if I wanted to. (At no stage was PPI discussed during the application). They also stated that following my DSA request they were sorry they couldn't provide me all the information I requested and if a refund were appropriate they would estimate the unknown premiums paid by using an average of the known premiums paid. GE Money end the letter by saying I can contact the FLA if I remain dissatisfied.

In the letter I sent GE Money I said I wanted a refund due to following:

1. having recently looked at the paperwork for my store card I now realise that I have been paying for insurance that I did not know I had taken out so could not have been explained to me.
  2. your salesperson did not discuss account cover premium with me at all or inform me that the policy was optional. The application in store was a very quick process where by the sales person asked my name address and phone number and then asked me to sign next to the sections marked with a cross. Your sales person did not tell me in store I was signing for Account Cover Premium. I believed I was putting my signature to an application for credit.

3. I am concerned the sales person that sold me the policy has no financial background and the policy was not sold in my best interests.

4. Also due to the fact GE Money have been fined by the FSA for failing to treat your customers fairly when selling Payment Protection Insurance and I do not believe that my policy was sold in my best interests.

Any advice please.

Hello Bobby,

A standard response putting the onus on you, but if fact they have to prove that it was not mis-sold and you know it was, so just continue with the claim.

The fact that the account opened in 03 means that the fos will not investigate the claim, so the court option may be the only course of action you have if they do not comply with your request for a refund.

Now you mention that your credit agreement has been enclosed. Is it a credit agreement or a pre-contractual application form that was filled out in the store:grin: Can you let us know please:grin:

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hello Hellhasnofury,

Thanks for replying. I dont really want to go down the court route with this one, they owe me about 150 quid may be less, I am not sure because I have missing statements that they could not provide.

The form they sent me was the pre-contractual application form that I filled out in store. The also sent me a copy of GE Money Account Cover Policy Document.

We are also chasing GE Money for miss-sold PPI, however our claim is now at the court stage and GE have until next Thursday to file their defence.

To be honest, going down the court route is not as daunting as you may think, In fact i think the small claims court is bloody excellent!!

In your case as your claim is for approximately £150 I expect it would not be financially viable for a Solicitor to be allocated to the case due to their hourly rate. It could go one of two ways - win or lose, but with out trying you will never know.

The chance of GE settling with out litigation - slim to none

Hello Bobby,

I agree with SAB, the court route is not at all daunting unless you are the one being taken to court:grin: :wink: The only thing that you have to do correctly to start with is cover all of the bases with your particulars of claim. It need to be right first time.

If your claim is only for £150 or less, the charge for the claim will be no more that £30.

Why have they not provided the missing statements, did you do a SAR. If you did, maybe send them a sar non compliance letter and report them to the information commissioners office.

Please do not feel pressurised into issueing legal proceeding if you do not feel that you want to, but please remember they took your money and are laughing all the way to the bank, with it:mad:

If you decide to do so, we are all here to help and guide you.:-D

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi Bobby,

As Hellhasnofurrys info, If you have submitted SAR and they have not supplied all info get straight onto the ICO and lodge complaint with them. I had to Involve the ICO, FLA, FOS, FSA and hellhasnofurry in my claim with GE. Mind you my claim was not a straight forward one.

PS HHNF - Hiya..lol sorry Im not around much.. Moving House etc just now , should be settled again in couple of weeks..lol

But Im still working on PPI etc.. Sort of Concentrating on info on FIRSTPLUS at the momment.

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Hi Bobby,

As Hellhasnofurrys info, If you have submitted S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and they have not supplied all info get straight onto the Information Commissioners Office and lodge complaint with them. I had to Involve the Information Commissioners Office, FLA, FOS, FSA and hellhasnofurry in my claim with GE. Mind you my claim was not a straight forward one.

PS HHNF - Hiya..lol sorry Im not around much.. Moving House etc just now , should be settled again in couple of weeks..lol

But Im still working on PPI etc.. Sort of Concentrating on info on FIRSTPLUS at the momment.

Ian

Hellhasnofurry:lol: :lol: :lol: Ian, I told you not to talk about that:eek: :lol:

Hello,

Thank you for all the replies, I have only just read them, been on holiday.

I did send a S.A.R. and they said they were sorry they were not able to get me all the information I require.

I will send a letter to the Information Commissioners Office.

I too am chasing GE Money for PPI. Basically I had a pre-existing medical condition that was never discussed at the point of sale. Nothing was discussed about the insurance infact.

Today they have sent the following...

In short form....

1. Thanked me for my letter.

2. Although the sales assistant completed the form - I signed it agreeing to the terms.

3. Advising me that sales assisstants are trained to provide correct information and to ensure that customers are fully aware what they are signing up to! There is no requirement for them to record sales process and that a welcome pack is sent out with a policy and a 30 day no quibble guarantee.

4. Pre-existing medical condition - evidence required by them. "...please be advised that we will reimburse you for any additional charges incurred should we find any evidence of mis-selling".

5. Decision remains the same (not refunding). However, once received required evidence, we will investigate your complaint further and review this decision.

6. Nonsense about if I am not happy contact the FLA.

ENDS.

Can I have comments as I am a bit confused.

Basically on my medical records prior to taking this account out, I thought I was suffering from arthritis. However, recently I have been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

Many thanks

Janet

• 3 weeks later...

Hello lilal,

I sent GE Money another letter yesterday asking them to look at my claim again and informed them I will be reporting them to the FO,

FLA and the ICO.

Have you had any luck with GE, have you had a Court Date yet?

I am also attempting to get back ppi from GE. I entered into a DMP and the ppi was cancelled. Once my payments reached the minimum amount required to pay GE re-started my ppi without my consent. They have now written back to say that they have evidence of the account being part of my DMP but say when an account falls into arrears the cover is suspended and when the account is up to date the insurance is re-instated!