Disabled Passengers:Are we invisible & do we count?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When I wrote this, the time was 02.45 in the morning & I couldn't sleep.

The reasons? I have spinal canal stenosis in my cervical & lumber regions of my spine, an Arthritic Right Hip, Asthma, Angina & I’m also in the early stages of possible Emphysema.

I’m currently on the NHS waiting list for Hip replacement surgery at The Kent & Sussex Hospital in Tunbridge Wells & I’m in absolute agony.

On Sunday I had the misfortune to endure the Train trip from Hell. I’d been to my native Black Country hometown of Tipton for an old schoolmate’s 50th birthday party & caught the 08.59 train to Birmingham New Street Station to catch the 10.00 from there to London Euston. As the train approached, I along with my fellow passengers, were “shepherded” down the platform, away from the First Class carriages, by some Bolshi Jobs worth sort of person with the Catherine Tate Laurens character “I AINT BOVVERED” sort of attitude. Given I was using my walking stick & carrying for me what was a heavy bag on my shoulder, I made my way, limping along the platform to the rear of the train. When I got there, it appeared that all the seats were taken, so I started to limp back towards the middle of the train, to see if I could spot a seat there or pay £15 (reduced to £10 due to my Disabled persons Railcard) to upgrade to First Class. The Guard blew his whistle & the train doors closed as I was trying to get on & the train pulled out.

To say I was angered is a slight understatement! I expressed my disgust with the Bolshi “girl” only to be told “There were seats right at the rear of the train”!

I eventually got home to Tunbridge Wells 6 hours after I left Tipton.

Granted some of the overcrowding on the train was due to Cruft’s being held at the N.E.C. But surely you’d have thought A) Virgin/ BR would’ve put on more trains or

B) Some respect towards my Disabled plight would have been expected.

Don’t get me started on the lack of facilities for Disabled people on the London Underground. For a City that’s due to stage the 2012 Olympics & Paralympics, the facilities for Disabled travellers are truly in the 21st Century, a joke!

Still, this is the UK of 2008 & for a Disabled person to be treated in such a way in my opinion, is unforgivable.

You have obviously had a bad experience and as a railwayman myself i find it disgusting to hear the way you were treated. But I have a piece of advice for you, if you ever need to travel to Birmingham again use the Chiltern service to and from Marylebone. There is a telephone number that you can call to arrange disabled assistance. Passengers are met at the front of the station and taken to the train and will be met at the other end and taken to either pickup point/ taxi rank or bus stop. The journey to London may take longer than Virgin but we are a freindly and we do take care of our less able travellers. But as always the choice is yours....

FOR THE BENEFIT OF OUR FRIENDS IN THE NSA USING THE PRISM SYSTEM. HELLO FROM THE UK.

Pardon the pun.....

A light at the end of the tunnel.:)

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

"if you ever need to travel to Birmingham again use the Chiltern service to and from Marylebone".

Thank you for your reply.

I might just do the journey that way next time, as I've also found out it works out £10 cheaper.

Soth Eastern also have a number to call, but I can't remember what it is at the moment.

It's a bit more difficult at an un maned station, but at amaned station they should call ahead to your arrival station and let them know that you will arriving on the 10.20 train at platform what ever

If what we say helps you, then please tip the scales.:cool:

So why didn't you just get on the train and then find a seat, instead of wandering up and down the platform until the train left?

A bit obvious isn't it.

What a plank!

You've obviously not tried walking through the middle of a crowded train,carrying a large bag & using a walking stick!

According to Polaris we do, but he AIN'T BOVVERED!

Must be the same sort of person who refuses to give up their seat to a lady, an elderley person, a disabled person or a pregnant woman.

I felt that someone had to state the bleedin obvious, and it might help someone else making the same silly mistake and then trying to blame others.

What a plank!

You've obviously not tried walking through the middle of a crowded train,carrying a large bag & using a walking stick!

According to Polaris we do, but he AIN'T BOVVERED!

Must be the same sort of person who refuses to give up their seat to a lady, an elderley person, a disabled person or a pregnant woman.

They will get old one day!

Polaris

Personally, I find your first response inappropriate, which you then went on to compound. If you felt the need to reply in the manner that you did, then you should have given further thought to not posting at all on this thread.

The OP was not blaming others. I am not disabled myself. It is a fact that we do not do enough in this country to ensure that everyone has equality of access to services that everyone else takes for granted. That is a fact, sadly. More needs to be done about it. Attitudes need to change.

I suggest that you perhaps put yourself in the OP's position or consider if this had happened to someone close to you.

Travelling on a train is bad enough for the able bodied, imagine what it must be like for someone who does not have full mobility. Perhaps you should consider your own "chip" and what caused you to demonstrate it.

• Haha 1

The OP was not blaming others.

"I along with my fellow passengers, were “shepherded” down the platform, away from the First Class carriages, by some Bolshi Jobs worth sort of person with the Catherine Tate Laurens character “I AINT BOVVERED” sort of attitude."

"I expressed my disgust with the Bolshi “girl”"

I disagree, they seemed to be blaming everyone else, and being quite insulting and nasty about it as well.

I suggest that you perhaps put yourself in the OP's position or consider if this had happened to someone close to you.

I was putting myself in the position of the station staff who had this angry passenger ranting at them.

Yes life is not easy if you are disabled and a great deal more could be done to help. However people like the OP who have a problem with the world do not help the situation.

At the end of the day the problem was that the train arrived, the OP did not get on when given the opportunity to do so, and the train left. Anyone who has ever used a train knows that they do not wait around for long, and certainly not long enough to wander up and down the train looking for an empty seat. Hence my reply that the solution to their problem was obvious, i.e. when the train arrives, get on.

Polaris,

you have obviously felt you need to justify your earlier comments. CAG is a community which helps all mkind of people with all types of issues.

The post title should have given you a clue- "Disabled Passengers, are we invisible and do we count?". In my opinion the answer is a resounding no to the first part and a resounding yes to the second.

There can be no argument that this country falls far below the standards of providing standards of service and facilities which are accessible by all. This is a forum relating to public transport and the problems encountered in using that service. In this case, the OP highlights how the service failed her and how that failure affected her.

Other posters on this forum would normally suggest how the problems raised can be constuctively resolved.

I will relate to pertinent aspects of the OPs post.

The reasons? I have spinal canal stenosis in my cervical & lumber regions of my spine, an Arthritic Right Hip, Asthma, Angina & I’m also in the early stages of possible Emphysema.

I’m currently on the NHS waiting list for Hip replacement surgery at The Kent & Sussex Hospital in Tunbridge Wells & I’m in absolute agony.

Both of the above statements highlight a severe medical condition.

Given I was using my walking stick & carrying for me what was a heavy bag on my shoulder, I made my way, limping along the platform to the rear of the train.

The above statement shows the OP followed the staffs instructions which were clearly having an adverse impact on a visibily disabled person.

When I got there, it appeared that all the seats were taken, so I started to limp back towards the middle of the train, to see if I could spot a seat there or pay £15 (reduced to £10 due to my Disabled persons Railcard) to upgrade to First Class.

The OP could not see seats, took action to find others in the middle of the train and also tried to resolve her situation by buying another ticket. At that point, the train left, leaving someone distressed and having to find a way home which took her 6 hours. The OP was not wandering about.

The Guard blew his whistle & the train doors closed as I was trying to get on & the train pulled out.

To say I was angered is a slight understatement! I would have been exceptionally angry, as would any other person, without a disability

But surely you’d have thought A) Virgin/ BR would’ve put on more trains or

B) Some respect towards my Disabled plight would have been expected.

Don’t get me started on the lack of facilities for Disabled people on the London Underground. For a City that’s due to stage the 2012 Olympics & Paralympics, the facilities for Disabled travellers are truly in the 21st Century, a joke!

Still, this is the UK of 2008 & for a Disabled person to be treated in such a way in my opinion, is unforgivable. Yes, sadly it is unforgivable!

By highlighting these issues we can hopefully do somthing in the longer term to campaign for improvements in access so that everyone can enjoy all facilities.

The OP does not have a problem with the world, that is a label you dreamed up.

The OP could not get on the train as it departed while looking for a seat. The OP needed a seat as it was not possible to stand for obvious reasons.

The fact remains that your post should not have been made if you felt that strongly, as given the sensitivity of the situation you were only ever going to come across as antagonistic and uncaring. Perhaps on reflection, you would agree that it would have been more prudent not to post in this instance.

Well Polaris we could continue this all day.

However, today is my first birthday membership with CAG which has unfortunately coincided with replying to your posts.

In that year, I don't think I have come across such unconstructive and unhelpful posts as yours. I have read thousands of posts in that time.

CAG is a forum to help people help themselves. It raises issues that are unfair or unlawful and endeavours to find solutions. In this case, it relates to British Rails attitude towards disabled people. There are many, many instances in the press when this problem has been highlighted, yet British Rail have still not done enough to resolve it.

I do hope, that if you find yourself in a position when you need help, that you get constructive suggests and comment. Presumably that is why you came here in the first place?

I think your posts sum up your position and outlook on life better than I could. I therfore don't think there's anything further to be gained by feeding your baiting. I would rather help the OP and other genuine members of this community.

• Haha 1

Well Polaris we could continue this all day.

It seems we can, you lot really don't like criticism do you.

Anyway, yet again, the OP has a nasty attitude and the problem and the solution was in their hands.

• 1 month later...

In 1981 I started as a passenger guard at a Yorkshire Town.

The main form of traction was DMU's, with 2/3/4 coaches.

Bags of room for all the passengers and thier baggage, with a big brake van in the middle.

We had express trains from a large Lancashire Port to a large Northumberland City. These trains had 8 to 10 MK2 coaches and ran at 90mph. They used Class 47s, Peaks and Deltics to haul these trains.

Now we have 2 coach bendy buses which have no luggage capacity, no brake vans and soon fill up.

Under BR considerations for all types of passengers was standard.

Now with privatization if it dunt pay it dunt run

I have come back from Manchester and stood with one foot on the floor cause the train was packed solid.

Its not the workers who are at fault but the culture of the modern railway is profit, with little or no social thinking.