Registering new car

lostthewilltolive
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5922 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Greetings. First time here.

I bought a brand new car which was inported and delivered to me last week. I attended Wimbledon local office to register it after Swansea recommended them.

I had all the right stuff, id, fee etc. I had mugged up on the website too and learned that from time to time they ask for an inspection. However, the chap who imported the car told me this had happened only once in the last eleven years.

They want an inspection. When I asked why she said all imported cars require one as it was policy. I was given an appointment for next Monday to attend there with my car, which I am not allowed to drive there.

I have now learned that it will cost £250 to transport my car there and have faxed Wimbledon asking them, in the light of an inspection not actually being necessary every time, to waive the inspection or cancel it so an inspector can attend my home.

Despite two faxes and one letter, all market urgent, no-one has bothered to reply.

Any advice? Is it legal for them to falsely require an inspection on every vehicle? can I threaten them with exposure? I shall be attending tomorrow to cancel my appointment. Should I retrieve my application and take it elsewhere? I have since heard that Reading are better.

Advice please.

The do retain the right to inspect, and sadly the onus is on your to deliver it at your expense to their local office. I DO think you'll be able to find someone able to take it for under £100 if you're local. Sadly, if you don't go or miss the appointment, you'll not be allocated UK plates and be un-insurable.

Registering an imported vehicle : Directgov - Motoring

see para 2, about driving to mot's and SVA's. Might apply ??

My sister used to import Jap cars and they always drove them back from the Docks. Never had a problem. The police sometime did inspections outside the docks as to safety but not about registration.

She had a trade Insurance which might have hepled.

Cars can be insured on thier VIN number, as well as thier reg number.

I don't always believe what I say, I'm just playing Devils Advocate