2 CSA myths, can someone clarify please?

tendom
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'd like to know -

1. Is it true that if the payments are made directly to CSA that the parent doesn't actually receive all of the money?

2. If a couple live together and the non-resident partner does not have an income, is the CSA allowed to charge the working partner even though he/she is not a parent to the child?

Thanks in advance.:confused:

Re question 1 - the resident parent will get all the money the CSA collects so long as they're not on benefits, then they'll only get £10 per week and the CSA will keep the rest.

Question 2 - so far as I know the maintenance is based on the non-resident parents income, not the household but I'm not certain.

Re question 1 - the resident parent will get all the money the CSA collects so long as they're not on benefits, then they'll only get £10 per week and the CSA will keep the rest.

Question 2 - so far as I know the maintenance is based on the non-resident parents income, not the household but I'm not certain.

Almost right, but not quite.

1 The resident parent will get all the money unless they are on benefits. In that case everything after the first £10 of the CSA payment is classed as Income for the assessment of benefit and your benefit is reduced by this amount. So you do actually get it all, but you get less benefit. it's not kept by the CSA.

2 The only income taken into account for CSA payments is that of the non-resident parent. On this you are right.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to advise you on query 2,

The "non-resident" parents partners income IS NOT taken into consideration

BUT

If they recieve Working tax or Childrens Tax credits then that will be taken into account as ive just found out

Halifax Bank - Owed £1599

23/3 - Data Protection Act sent

24/5 - Data Protection Act finally arrived

25/5 - Demand for repayment sent

04/10 Court bundle filed with court and Halifax

29/10 STAY ISSUED

JAN 08 - Currently being harrased by debt collectors!

Mar 08 - New DCA - Stopped in there tracks

Jun 08 - And another

Jul 08 - Complaint made to HBOS

Nov 08 - My accounts been sold to a DCA

Jan 09 - New complaint issued against HBOS

Mar 09 - Halifax re-aquired the debt

Apr 09 - Applying for Hardship.

at least they removed 2 defaults in selling accounts! :D

I dont not claim to know everything and any advice i give should be treated as MY opinion.

If ive been helpful tip the scales!

or better still

DONATE TO CAG - every tenner helps!

Lets make it easier i think to understand:

the following is taken into account when decided amount to pay:

Your income & NOT your partners

Any benefit for CTC & Work tax you or your partner recieves.

any other benefit such as child benefit , disability benefit IS NOT taken into account

hope this makes it easier to understand

Halifax Bank - Owed £1599

23/3 - Data Protection Act sent

24/5 - Data Protection Act finally arrived

25/5 - Demand for repayment sent

04/10 Court bundle filed with court and Halifax

29/10 STAY ISSUED

JAN 08 - Currently being harrased by debt collectors!

Mar 08 - New DCA - Stopped in there tracks

Jun 08 - And another

Jul 08 - Complaint made to HBOS

Nov 08 - My accounts been sold to a DCA

Jan 09 - New complaint issued against HBOS

Mar 09 - Halifax re-aquired the debt

Apr 09 - Applying for Hardship.

at least they removed 2 defaults in selling accounts! :D

I dont not claim to know everything and any advice i give should be treated as MY opinion.

If ive been helpful tip the scales!

or better still

DONATE TO CAG - every tenner helps!

Almost right, but not quite.

1 The resident parent will get all the money unless they are on benefits. In that case everything after the first £10 of the CSA payment is classed as Income for the assessment of benefit and your benefit is reduced by this amount. So you do actually get it all, but you get less benefit. it's not kept by the CSA.

Not if the non-resident parent has a highish income (over about £50,000 and working abroad so tax free). In a case I know about, what the resident parent received in benefits, including child tax credits, was about £20 a week less than the non-resident parent was paying. The CSA 'allegedly' paid all the money to the DWP. So who got the extra £20? Of course if they'd known in advance, the RP would never have claimed benefits, but once you're in the system it's too late.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.