style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5710 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have been with bh for almost 2 years now and havent had any problems util that is i got paid off 6 weeks ago and have really struggled to pay them so much so i tried to end it 3 weeks ago when i couldnt cope. i currently owe them £255 and cant seem to get back on track as i only just got my income support etc etc fixed out but with the little amount i have coming in i cant afford to pay what i owe although i could now pay my weekly payment i have 5 kids and im barely eating so i can cut back but bh is stressing me out and i know they will be at my door first thing monday. all the things i have from them i need and some things only have around 100-150 owing per item...suite,washing machine etc has anybody any ideas please help

Hi alli28 and welcome to CAG. We have a special forum just for people having problems with Brighthouse. I will move your post there where I'm sure you will receive lots of help and advice.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Instead of buying over priced items from Brighthouse why not try your local Freecycle group, a lot of things go on our local one, it's a way forward for a lot of people in tough (and not so tough) situations. I used Freecycle to get rid of my big old computer desk and got a much smaller one for nothing, lots of TVs, sofas and beds go on the list, not to mention washing machines and fridge freezers.

Try that instead of Brighthouse - you might very well be surprised.

i understand what you are saying and yes thats a good idea the only thing that bothers me is that ive paid lots of money for these things and most are almost paid of and if i let them take them back then i lose all those things along with the large amounts of money i have already paid. if they take them back they sell them on as used goods and still make another large profit from someone else where as ive already paid twice over for them.

Hi, alli28.

Can you not borrow the cash from family or friends, then pay them back.

I know that's easy for me to say, but that's what I'd do in the same situation.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

i have borrowed quite an amount from family to get by the last 6 weeks until my income support etc was sorted out and have only just paid it back so id feel terrible asking again. i also have rent arrears with my housing association and they are taking me to court for eviction but i only have arrears because my housing benefit is still not sorted out which is another huge burden i have. applying for all jobs that i see because its the only way to sort my situation so which is why i was hoping bh would be understanding (but their not)..im also a bit of a quiet person and im easily bullied by people like bh im just wondering if i should stand up to them more..thanks for the advice though i do appreciate it

Hang in there, and do what you have to do. I know what you mean about asking the family, I've done it myself and felt awful when I only just managed to pay them back the week before.

I hope you get something sorted, soon.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi Alli28

I've been through all this with Brighthouse and my friend is also at the moment, given no choice having to apply for benefits.

Stay strong Alli because your kids need you and Brighthouse aint worth it hun. It will sort itself out one way or the other. You'll get lots of advice off here, I don't know what I'd have done without this forum!

Hi alli28

First and formost - stop worrying. Regardless of what Brighthouse try to tell you, what you owe them is NOT a priority debt. The roof about your head, heat, light and food IS!!!

Have you read through my Brighthouse factsheet? If not, you'll find it HERE. Most of your questions will be answered in it.

From what it sounds like to me, you are considerably further than half way through your agreements. Brighthouse absolutely CANNOT forcibly enter your home and repossess their goods. In fact, if you have just paid more than one third of the total agreement amounts they will need a court order - and even then they still cannot forcibly enter your home.

If you have optional service cover, and you are in arrears, the service cover has lapsed so don't continue paying for it. Even better, follow the advice in the factsheet and remove it altogether.

All the time you are in arrears you will be penalised with late charges. So, dependant upon your circumstances (and current credit status) it may be a good idea and call their bluff and let them apply for a court order to reposses. By doing this, you will force their hand and the account will have to be frozen. Believe me, Brighthouse very very VERY rarely go to court for anything - because if they do they will have to disclose the amounts you have already paid - which, as you know, will probably be staggering!!!

A court will have the power to force Brighthouse to accept a reasonable payment plan to reduce your arrears - and NOT penalise you for it.

Don't be bullied. Don't be intimidated. Only communicate in writing.

Please keep us informed as how it all goes. Remember, we're here to help.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

update 4 brightouse,, they said they would be fair and allow another week 4 me to pay which will be £336 next week or they will come uplift the stuff but i wont let them take it i am going to offer them a weeks payment nextweek plus maybe 20 towards my arrears but if they turn me down then i will call their bluff and see if they want to go down that road. i have an appointment with a lawyer next week to get his legal opinion on it..thanks for all the advice really appreciate it

Thanks for the update.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

Gimme a 30 mins or so, and I'll sort you a letter out. ;)

Lefty

;)

Here ya go...

Send this by recorded delivery to Brighthouse head office, and copy to your local store.

Insist any reply is IN WRITING and refuse to discuss the matter over the phone...

Account(s) number(s) XXXXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am currently experiencing some financial difficulties and, as a result, have fallen behind with my weekly payments to Brighthouse.

I am receipt of a default notice for £XXXX

I do not wish to return the goods voluntarily, and as I cannot afford to pay this amount in one instalment, I would like to offer the sum of £20 per week on top of my regular weekly payment of £XX to clear my arrears over the next XX weeks. This payment plan can start immediately.

I have made this proposal (and made an offer of payment) at my local store, but my payment was refused. I was told that Brighthouse will not/cannot accept “part payments”. This “policy” only places my account(s) further into arrears and invokes further penalty charges. I find this both immoral, unfair and in direct contravention to OFT guidelines regarding the collection of debt:

Physical/psychological harassment

2.5 Putting pressure on debtors or third parties is considered to be oppressive.

2.6 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

f. pressurising debtors to pay in full, in unreasonably large instalments, or to increase payments when they are unable to do so

g. making threatening statements or gestures or taking actions which suggest harm to debtors

Naturally, I hope you will accept my offer (above) and allow me time to bring my account(s) up to date in both a fair and affordable way. Of course, by accepting my offer, and by me maintaining regular payments (on time) you agree NOT to apply any further “penalty” or “late payment” charges to my account(s).

Please confirm in writing your acceptance or refusal of my offer in order for me to make the necessary payment arrangements, or to prepare for my defence in the County Court as appropriate.

Kindest Regards

YOU

cc - Brighthouse local store

Your local Trading Standards (this never hurts) ;)

Keep us posted!

Cheers

Lefty

;)

i have ben with bright house for just over a yr and have nothing but hell from them i am also currantly talking to my solicitor as they have disclosed personall infrmation about my account to my referees such as how much im in debt by,and how many weeks i have also had them banging on my door threatining me and even called the hospital when my appendix burst to see if i was there.they have threatend with the police and to come in my home whilst im not there to take my goods.bearing this in mind i only didnt pay them after waitng 3 months for them to fix my sofa.does anyone know if this against the law in someway or another i.e the data protection act/harrasment act??

Hi Sandro

Typical of this company! My Dad was on a life support machine and they harrassed me so nothing surprises me with the MC GANGSTA BRIGHTHOUSE CREW-(the accounts manager I deal with at my store is about 4 ft 3 so he can only wish lol) They're bang out of order ringing the hospital and bang out of order discussing your personal info to your referee contacts as well, but Sandro, this is so typical of them.

Well as you can see by the many posts on here, you're not on your own.

You'll get some good advice on here so stick around and don't panic too much. Until you get some proper legal advice, don't let them in your house. In fact, I had all this off them last year 'we'll come in your house' and blah blah blah. I welcomed it because they would have been filmed on a nice little CCTV I had tucked away so I welcomed them with open arms.

I can only offer you support as I'm not well up on the legal stuff but others on here are. You've done right by making the first steps going to see your solicitor so you're on the right road.

As worrying as it is for you, don't let them get you down, they're really not worth the hassle and the agro, they'll back down somewhere along the line. Take care x

thanks for the letter lefty i shall be using it.. yesterday the accounts manager was at my door asking me to put my things back and i said to him most of my stuff is almost paid off and i did offer you my weekly payment plus an additional 20 to my arrears but was told this wasnt acceptable, i also told him that i wanted the service cover cancelled as i wasnt aware that it was opptional and he said he couldnt that he would need to speak to his boss, so anyway i have arranged to go speak to them this tuesday and he added if i didnt come in he informed me that brighthouse no longer let people away with owing them money and that debt collectors bigger than him would come to my door and take the stuff. i wish i had recorded his threat now because thats exactly what it is.

You should have said 'well if they do, be assured that I will be recording the heavy handed mob and sending the tape to the so called many community charities Brighthouse so kindly donate too.'

They'll see just how much this company really does care huh!

They cna only tke items subject to a court order, and if this hasn't been put in place when the 'heavy mob' turn up phone the police and report a robbery in progress, as that is what it is.

The police willbrobably say 'civil matter' pnce they declare themselves bailiffs but state that they don't have a proper warrent and aren't properly licenced and it is NOT a civil matter and you want full details (name, rank and no) of the police saying that to report them further.

thanks for the letter lefty i shall be using it.. yesterday the accounts manager was at my door asking me to put my things back and i said to him most of my stuff is almost paid off and i did offer you my weekly payment plus an additional 20 to my arrears but was told this wasnt acceptable, i also told him that i wanted the service cover cancelled as i wasnt aware that it was opptional and he said he couldnt that he would need to speak to his boss, so anyway i have arranged to go speak to them this tuesday and he added if i didnt come in he informed me that brighthouse no longer let people away with owing them money and that debt collectors bigger than him would come to my door and take the stuff. i wish i had recorded his threat now because thats exactly what it is.

I can't offer any guarantees on the template letter, only that it has worked once before ;)

As for the "optional service cover", if you're in arrears (which you are) it has lapsed already...

OPTIONAL SERVICE COVER TERMS AND CONDITIONS

C - YOUR OBLIGATIONS

(B) - pay each of the amounts due for the OSC contract in advance by the due date for such payments to BrightHouse. Subject to its right to terminate the OSC Contract in accordance with condition E, the OSC Contract is renewable each time your regular instalment is due under the Agreement. If the amount is not paid the OSC Contract will lapse...

E - WHEN BRIGHTHOUSE MAY END THE OSC CONTRACT

(1) - BrighthOuse may end the OSC Contract on giving you 7 days' prior written notice if it can show that any of the goods can no longer be serviced economically or effeciently, for example if the repair exceeds the current value of the goods or the spare parts required to effect a repair are no longer available.

(Ain't that a great "get out" clause, eh? Picture this... You're reaching the end of an agreement - and have shelled out a small fortune in OSC cover payments - and your product breaks down. If the product can't be repaired ecconomically by BrightHouse they will simply cancel your OSC contract leaving you with nothing!)

(2) - BrightHouse may at any time end the OSC Contract on giving you 30 days' prior written notice and in any event it will end when the Agreement ends.

I - GENERAL

(2) - The OSC Contract shall, subject to condition D (When BrightHouse May End The OSC Contract) continue in force until you give 7 days' notice to BrightHouse or the Agreement comes to an end.

Here's what will happen on Tuesday... you may get the offer of an account re-set. This entails signing a new agreement, which takes your outstanding balance, PLUS your arrears and starts “fresh” with a BRAND NEW agreement spread over a slightly longer period.

You should think very carefully before agreeing to this, because you risk losing all the rights you have accrued regarding repossession and early settlement, making it easier for Brighthouse to repossess their goods should you get into difficulty again.

Personally, and remember this is MY opinion only, as you are close to finishing your agreements I would be inclined to call their bluff and let them take you to court.

I would, however, continue to offer the payment (plus additional £20) at the store each week and record the dates, times and names of staff when it is refused. I would save the payments (maybe in a post office account) and allow them to build up. Then, if they DO take you to court (which I honestly don't believe they will) you can make your offer to the judge and PROOVE you have been willing to pay and, furthermore, have the funds available to bring your account up to date.

And remember, ONLY communicate in writing. You DO NOT have to speak to them on the telephone and you CERTAINLY do not have to entertain them at your door.

Keep us posted

Cheers

Lefty

;)

i have ben with bright house for just over a yr and have nothing but hell from them i am also currantly talking to my solicitor as they have disclosed personall infrmation about my account to my referees such as how much im in debt by,and how many weeks i have also had them banging on my door threatining me and even called the hospital when my appendix burst to see if i was there.they have threatend with the police and to come in my home whilst im not there to take my goods.bearing this in mind i only didnt pay them after waitng 3 months for them to fix my sofa.does anyone know if this against the law in someway or another i.e the data protection act/harrasment act??

Hi sandro12

Your questions could be answered much better if your started a thread of your own. Threads get "messy" and replies can be confusing if more than one subject is covered.

To start a thread of your own, go back to the Brighthouse sub-forum and select the NEW THREAD icon.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

thanks for the advice folks, didnt make it up today ive had a migrane and barely been able to get out of bed never mind visit the manager at bright house but i did call them and tell them id be up tomorrow to discuss things further with them so hopefully things will be sorted but ive a feeling they wont be so i have typed up leftys message and all ready to post off if things dont go well with them i will keep you posted. im just wondering if anybody at all has ever beat brighthouse with things like this or going to court?

im just wondering if anybody at all has ever beat brighthouse with things like this or going to court?

Read THIS

Cheers

Lefty

;)

thanks lefty...at the moment ive decided not to take out an account reset from them which was offered and still offered them the original amount plus the extra 20 to arrears. i have to go back on monday to find out about the service cover to see if they are going to cancel it. but by looking at the default notices on some of my items then i see that i have example.. washing machine total amount payable 663 amount paid to date 568 and that amount isnt including the optional service cover that i have paid over last 2 years so id say ive probably paid about close to a grand so maybe my best option is to test them and see if they take me to court..i didnt realise just how much ive paid for washing machine etc etc but i will see what they say on monday and ive already posted the letter from lefty it cant do any harm and i can only try. but if they come to the door in future i will be recording everything they say. i refuse to be bullied by them and threatened and normally im a quiet person but theres only so much that a person can take