• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Pootle's Very Own Thread ;-)

pootle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6520 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

586rJKEE4 :wink:

hello. All this news of refunds are very encouraging. I've been a less than perfect Co-op customer (had my credit card taken away, not allowed to increase overdraft etc) and thus they've made heaps of cash in charges from me.

I'm going to have a look through my statements and see just how much.

I am concerned that they might demand instant repayment of my credit card or overdraft in retailation (and seems to have happened to some people) but surely if it got to that stage then I could just say "ah, forget about it all then?" If I was successful, I'd actually use the money to pay off my overdraft or a good chunk of my credit card. That would help my cause wouldn't it?

Thanks for such a useful site btw.

Welcome.

Yes, they might... then again, they might not, there is no set policy anywhere, even within the same organisation.

But if you threaten them with court action, they pull your o/d & card from you, you cave in, then:

1-They can still close you down, and you've gained nothing and lost everything.

2-You have just shown them that bully tactics do work, and next time you go begging to them, they'll be in an even better position.

Would paying your o/d out of the refund help you? In what way? Do you really believe they're going to look at your account, and say: "aaah, good chap, he'll put it back in, let's give him the money"? Really?

Sorry for being so blunt, but you need a reality check here. And you need to be prepared for the nastier options, including having to defend your claim in court.

Nothing wrong with being blunt, at all! And I do SO need a reality check!! (as do probably lots of other people who have heard about this for the first time - this is being touted as simple as sending of a letter on other BB's :roll: )

You make some very useful points, and apols if I am coming across as a bit simple. I have read the FAQ's!

Slightly o/t but can a bank just close an account because they feel like it? Or rather invent some reason losely based on fact to close it?

I think my first step is seeing if I can open a 2nd bank account I reckon!!

Yes the bank can close your account if they wish. I've just answered you in another thread about a new account

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

And by the way, sorry I didn't spot it earlier, could you please start your own thread?

Me? Start my own thread about what?

About me starting a claim?

About getting another account?

Aww!

You've made me feel all special now. And in the good way. Not like when my teachers used to say I was special :(

*ahem*

Yeah! Banks! Aren't they awful! etc etc.

Thank you!

• 4 months later...

Right. I shamefully joined this BB months ago, and have done absolutely nothing.

However, I've got my act together, and gone through all my bank accounts etc and have prepared my first letter, requesting a refund of £580.

Watch this space! And thanks to this site for helping us all out, innit!

Hmm...I requested a new cheque book last thursday (the day after I sent in my first letter requesting a refund of charges) and I haven't heard anything yet, when in the past, it's been almost immediate. Doesn't look very promising, eh?

I'm a priviledge account holder, so really I'm paying a premium to get things like a cheque book anyway. I'll give it another day or so, but anyone got any top tips on how I should approach this?

Spoke to customer services last night about another issue, but also asked if they had recieved my first approach letter requesting a refund, and detailing charges.

I spoke to a v helpful person who confirmed they had received it on the 17th, and it was being dealt with by "team 4" (or something) and that I should expect something soon.

When I pressed the guy on what "something" was he got a bit flustered, almost in a "I've let the cat out of the bag" way, so fingers crossed, they'll be a refund coming my way soon. If it's just a response letter, well, that's better than nothing. The 14 days is up this time next week btw.

Watch this space, innit!

if anyone's interested...

I got a letter on Saturday, dated the 19th of July with mostly a standard response of "we're sorry you aren't happy etc etc but we will contact you again to reply specifically to your letter, within the next 7 days. We will try to phone you, but if we cannot reach you will write to you" signed by Sharon Rankin.

I have a couple of "number witheld" calls on my mobile which I've missed, so I'm guessing it was the co-op...is it worth me trying to speak to Sharon Rankin, or is it best to leave everything to letters? Has anyone else heard from Ms Rankin?

Me again....

The 14 days from my prelim letter are almost up, and its time to start drafting my LBA

QUESTION: should I address it to the same person (Ms Burgess) that I sent my prelim letter too?

I'm only asking because I got a letter signed by Sharon Rankin saying that they would be in touch to address the issue in 7 days (this deadline has passed btw)

Whaddya think?

I addressed all my letters to Ms Burgess. none of the replies have come from her but they do get acknowledged/ fobbed off by someone called David wyman. I started court action 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting.

Good luck!

I got another letter on saturday saying something along the lines of "sorry, we said we'd respond in 7 days, but we haven't. We'll deffo respond in the next seven days. Honest"

Or something.

No skin off my nose. My LBA is going in the post tomorrow, and they can take up to 14 days to sort it out!

Any news nellio? I got my chocolate bar though!

Harumph.

I sent my first letter outlining the fees I was requesting back, along with a schedule, and copies of statements back on the 13th July. I recieved one letter saying I'd get a response within 7 days. Then another letter saying "sorry we haven't sorted it, but we'll definately sort it in the next seven days" and then yesterday I got ANOTHER letter saying it'll take them SIX WEEKS to investigate! What's to investigate? I've given them all the statements etc.

I should just get the LBA sent off, eh?

Looks like the co-op are starting to drag...

Bah!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6520 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks