Halifax credit card - when is a payment not a payment???

bearskin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5960 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:(

Dear all,

I wonder if you can advise.

I have a credit card with Halifax, (ipoints) and have done for a number of years.

For the most part I pay off my balance in full, every month.

This month, as I knew I had credits coming through, I paid £95 less than the balance due.

Before the due date, the credits did hit the account as expected.

However, Halifax have charged £93.85 in interest.

I rang them, to be informed that credits don't count as they aren't refunds, they are account adjustments. What???

I spoke to a manager, who said the same.

When I pointed out that:-

A) Their website specifically states that customers should NOT overpay so that an account is in credit

and

B) Does not say anything, at all about credit 'not counting'

The charming manager said that they don't have to disclose that, so they don't!!

Appalling!!!

So, is there anything I can do?

They have told me not to write in and complain, as they have there own process and it will 'go wrong' if I take the untoward step of writing in myself.

Not that this will stop me.....but anything to add?

Sadly as it seems refunds/credits don't count as payments towards the balance due or payment due.....the minimum payment requested at the time of statement date would still need paying regardless if refunds or credits are added at the same period....So the CC company charged you for Not paying the figure as per the statement date...Did there charge a fee for not paying the amount asked, as your thread says intrest which is placed upon any figure outstanding each month...

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Hi,

I paid all of the balance apart from £90 which was covered by the credits.

Well over a minimum payment!!

I don't understand the interest part either!!

But they won't explain in detail. yet!!

Have emailed the ceo as a start.

RRRR now me gets the jist, you paid full balance minus the expected credits, £90.00

If you paid more than the statement minimum payment, then no late payment charges will be payable, as long as the minimum is paid by the due date....Intrest is not charged untill the intrest free days have passed, some cards don't give intrest free days, one of my cards has a balance of £2k and the intrest is only 5.4% per month (special promo), so for your intrest for that period be near touching £100 i would be inclined to ask what APR there are charging you, on your last statement it would show what intrest is payable and for what period and state the APR also, since you pay the balance of in full, the intrest is puzzling ? unless you have a missed payment charges in there somewhere..... Cash advances and the cheques there give out now and then also charge mush higher intrest than normal purchases, and intrest starts soon as the cash etc is taken, not saying that this is the case with you.....I'd be inclined to contact them for the explanination about the intrest due/APR...

Not saying you have, but does the £93.85 state intrest due or balance due, ive confused these many times and shocked myself untill i have noticed my mistake and breathed a sigh of relief.....

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Well, I've just had a call from them, with an apology and a full refund of the charges.

Which is great...but if I'd have believed the call centre, I'd be a tad poorer!

So what happens to those poor souls who don't escalate the complaint?

Hopefully they will re-train the customer facing staff!!

Hi bearskin,

I had something similar happen with my HSBC card last year, I expected a refund to count as a credit and therefore part of my monthly payment they of course disagreed. As this distinction was not clearly set out in their T&Cs I pushed them on it and they gave in to my complaint, refunding the charge they'd applied.

I would carry on with your written complaint if I were you.

Loz

I hate Alliance + Leicester

BT: No longer a customer :)

HSBC: £1222 refunded 28/5/06; Second claim of £737-24 refunded 9/11/06; PPI + interest on personal loan refunded 27/7/08

MBNA: £100 refunded on first claim of £112; £208 refunded on second claim for £108 24/9/07; PPI £256-28 refunded 8/4/08

NatWest: £1581-71 refunded 16/12/06; personal loan CCA agreement not provided