Enforceability of gambling debts

Zamzara
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5976 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was speaking to someone the other day who has huge credit card debts incurred through online gambling.

As I understand it, gambling debts were not legally enforceable before September 2007 when the law was changed.

Does anyone know if the change is retrospective (makes old debts enforceable), or does it only apply to debts incurred after that time?

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Gambling debts incurred via credit cards have always been enforceable in the usual ways (subject to valid credit agreements etc)

The gambling debts that were unenforceable were debts owed to the bookmakers themselves ie credit account debts

I have heard though of someone who racked up a huge debt on credit cards by on-line gambling over 6 months. He appealed to the credit card lenders saying it must have been obvious to anyone monitoring his account that he had a real problem which was quite clearly spiralling out of control. He argued that, surely as a responsible lender, they should have taken some kind of responsible action (ie stopped his card etc).

The credit card company, after some consideration of his situation actually 'wrote off' a large part of his debt.

You never know!

Regards

GTW