• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

OFT test case

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5950 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Phantom await the judgment.

The scare story your hearing has probably been put around by the banks. - you might like to know that a consumer has within the last few days been offered full settlement by one of the banks involved in the OFT case - they may well be beginning to think they may lose

Yup I have the letter to prove it lol

Although for some reason i cant view the thread i started on it, along with 99% of the subscribed thread i had, is there a problem with the site or is it just me who has the problems:???:

:madgrin:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a problem with the site or is it just me who has the problems:confused:

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

There is a problem which is being sorted, although I did see your post ICY, and will respond once it's sorted. Congratulations in the mean time. Please bear with us while things get sorted.

Thanks.:)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

hangs ten

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

I have just realised that this is a credit card account, i have a claim for one of each with same bank and thought this one was for the bank account, however this claim was stayed on request of the bank due to the OFT case ages ago, so now i am even more confused, sorry to all if i have got it wrong :(

:madgrin:

I have just realised that this is a credit card account, i have a claim for one of each with same bank and thought this one was for the bank account, however this claim was stayed on request of the bank due to the OFT case ages ago, so now i am even more confused, sorry to all if i have got it wrong :(

Oh Bu**er!:mad:

Still it's a move in the right direction. - after all most credit card companies are still hiding behind this case & refusing to pay out until it's final outcome - even most of the county courts are supporting them in this disregard for the rules

From the BBC website:

As the judge admitted at the close of the hearing, he has "a great deal to do" before he can make his judgment available so has "no idea at all" when he might do so.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

In court, several bank barristers expressed unease that Mr Justice Smith's eventual findings might leak out in the time between him circulating a draft ruling to the parties to the case, and handing down his final public decision.

So. the banks feel that they have something to worry about! Sounds like its going to be in our favour! 8-)

But why do you think they are worrying about premature leaking of his findings?

I can only imagine it is because they want to be in a position to leak it themselves and so impart an early spin to it. If this is the case then the assumption has to be that they'll come out all guns blazing that Justice Smith is personally prejudiced in his views as witnessed by his use of the word "clobbered" to define banks imposition of unfair charges.

Legally, they might have to produce a profit warning etc if the judge finds against them, and it would cause substantial volatility in their share prices either way.

I think, personally, what the banks are saying -in terms of being worried about a leak - is fair enough.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

But why do you think they are worrying about premature leaking of his findings?

One reason may well be that the banks will need to prepare, because, as soon as news gets out that the banks have lost this part of the Test Case, they will be inundated with enquiries. It may well be a meltdown situation.

The other important issue is how it relates to the Courts and how they react/ cope.

You might just be right Andrew..................

One estimate I have heard bandied about was that they stand to lose £3.2 billion a year in current revenue in bank charges. They will lose that income and will need/ want to make it from elsewhere.

In addition to that loss of annual income, if a very rough calculation is done, assuming 6 years claims to repay those that have been unlawfully charged, the banks could face liability, potentially, of over £19 Billion.

That does not cover claims for interest by claimants, but that's another issue.

It will also raise an administrative nightmare for the banks because, as Martin Lewis so aptly put it - this should be done automatically to everyone, not just those with access to the internet or putting in a claim. They automatically took the money out of peoples accounts they should automatically put it back in. To every account holder in the land. Now this will mean employing a mass of temps to reconcile all those charges on our accounts to know who to pay back and I am sure their systems are not up to sorting this out automatically.

What goes around..... ! :D

Sarah

Had a meeting with the bank manager this morning and she said the direct debit charges were administration fee's.

What ya think?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

Unfortunately it means nothing if it is not in writing. In fact it seems that it also means nothing if it is put into writing, signed and given to a court of law. There are possibly thousands of claims in the system where the written defence is that all the charges including those for unauthorised overdraft are to cover admin costs, but for some crazy reason, those will be ignored.

It seems ridiculous when you think that those are the very claims that the OFT say brought about this "test case", yet those those are the claims that will be swept under the carpet never to be examined.

Before I started my first claim, the "customer service" guy I spoke to in India also told me that my charges were a penalty for going over my agreed limit!

It will also raise an administrative nightmare for the banks because, as Martin Lewis so aptly put it - this should be done automatically to everyone, not just those with access to the internet or putting in a claim. They automatically took the money out of peoples accounts they should automatically put it back in. To every account holder in the land. Now this will mean employing a mass of temps to reconcile all those charges on our accounts to know who to pay back and I am sure their systems are not up to sorting this out automatically.

Sarah

Hi Sarah - How right you, and Martin Lewis, are. There should be absoloutely NO need for Court Cases and claims should the banks loose. Trouble is, who is actually going to make them do it, given all the evidence we already have that all the regulatory authorities, and our Legal system, are almost totally toothless when it comes to dealing with the banks?

All the best - Adam.

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

there should be know need for court days but i doubt the banks will give up so easy on a civil claim.

Sarah

No mention of the interest from Martin then? Sorry, but I want my interest too, even if it is just at the statutory 8%.

No mention of the interest from Martin then? Sorry, but I want my interest too, even if it is just at the statutory 8%.

The 8% stat interest only comes into play once you file at court ..... If the bank were to just pay everyone without them claiming then no-one would get the 8% :)

saint :)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5950 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks