• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

OFT test case

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, my thing is, that I believe if they start charging everyone for a bank account, then effectively we've been forced into buying a third-party product by legislation (The Wages Act (1984)).

This is a direct contradiction of the ECHR laws.

Is there anyway of handling your finances whether you're employed, unemployed, retired or whatever, without having a bank account?

Total stitch up!:mad:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Future Of High Street Banking In Balance In High Court |Sky News|Business

According to this report today OFT are saying that charges are ILLEGAL not unlawful, It may be a reporting error but if true would make a difference

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

"Thats a hell of a gesture of goodwill from an industry only known to act in their own best interests and stuff everyone else.

If any representative in a bank ever asks if they can help me I am instantly concerned that they believe they can screw some money out of me for their own benefit."

Ha.....I think the banks weill end up generating so much mistrust as a result of the bank charge robbery that they'll find it increasingly difficult to cross sell anything.

Q: How do you damage years of goodwill and trust?

A: Steal £1 billion from your customers every year and tell them its a 'service'

A £35 pound bank charge is not a charge for a service. Its theft.

£4 Billion!

I can see a fight: Wages Act (1986) v ECHR Act !

• Haha 1

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

the barter system

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

Future Of High Street Banking In Balance In High Court |Sky News|Business

According to this report today OFT are saying that charges are ILLEGAL not unlawful, It may be a reporting error but if true would make a difference

No, it wouldn't, illegal means "against or not authorized by law." Unlawful means "contrary to, prohibited, or unauthorized by law...while necessarily not implying the element of criminality, it is broad enough to include it." (Black's Law Dictionary)

£4 Billion!

I can see a fight: Wages Act (1986) v ECHR Act !

Could we see if we can get something written up?

I would be willing to test it in court. ( I am exempt from fees by the way)

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

I'm not sure it would be our remit - and it would most likely cost a bloody fortune!

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

No, it wouldn't, illegal means "against or not authorized by law." Unlawful means "contrary to, prohibited, or unauthorized by law...while necessarily not implying the element of criminality, it is broad enough to include it." (Black's Law Dictionary)

Thank you for that Bookie :D

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

I predict, regardless of the outcome, there will soon be some amendments to or even new legislation to replace UTCCR '99 on the cards in the near future.

This would be necessary to encompass the changing face of customer relations with banks, and the way that banking products are priced, sold, made available (or not), presented to consumers etc post Test case.

Many on site have contended that it is obvious that the Banks have in actual fact been fully aware for a long time of the way these contractual terms have contravened, if not the exact wording then certainly the essence and intent of UTCCR 99.

They have thus just very carefully and cleverly worded their contracts, in the belief that just by simply avoiding the use of certain words, this gave them the ability to avoid being subject to it's applicability.

Thus, post Test case, there would need to be new legislation or changes to UTCCR, to attempt to prevent abuse of consumers rights simply by carefully constructing a contracts wording.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Yeah, in the main, banks have made people accept the payments as "Full and FINAL" settlement - they can hardly go back on that. It would be a binding contract.

------------

------------

If (God forbid) the banks won their case, what's the probability of them claiming back all the money they have paid out? Would they bother or just write it off?

There would be far more to worry about than that! Wait until you get your next gas bill & mobile phone bill with all the new "extra services" you never asked for. There will be a precedent in which companies can introduce new services at any time without negotiation & charge what the hell they like for them.. :p

There would be far more to worry about than that! Wait until you get your next gas bill & mobile phone bill with all the new "extra services" you never asked for. There will be a precedent in which companies can introduce new services at any time without negotiation & charge what the hell they like for them.. :p

Yes, a bit like BT have done :mad:

by Gez :There will be a precedent in which companies can introduce new services at any time without negotiation & charge what the hell they like for them.. :p

And what are the OF watchdogs going to do about it ?- surely that is pressure selling - which IMHO is illegal..........:mad:

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

a BANKING Package?

Dose that mean we just don't sign for it?

What Gez is saying is if the banks prove the "fees" for their "services" are legal it will set a precedent in law and everyone will be able to do the same.

So all sorts of services will start appearing on your direct debit statements and because they are direct debits you wont have any choice, the money will be gone from your bank account.

pete

Why do you think I stopped all DDs and SOs from my bank account nearly three years ago!

Since then no fees and other rubbish and I haven't been overdrawn. Okay I've been charged the next step in the chain, "Non payment by DD fee" but that will soon be deemed illegal too.

Bank's are entitled to make a Direct debit charge its just that they cant make an excessive charge. so maybe £0.0000001 would be lawful ;)

To my knowledge I don't think any of the banks have actually paid back one penny of the charges that have been claimed back from them. All of the settlements have been exgratia payments that happen to be for the same amount :rolleyes:

So if it went our way we could reclaim the charges as what most people recieved from the banks were payments of goodwill. :)

The OFT have ruled Credit Card charges are unlawful if they are over £12 already.

I wonder what government departments profit off banks.

So if it went our way we could reclaim the charges as what most people recieved from the banks were payments of goodwill. :)

A cunning plan :lol::lol::lol:

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

The OFT have ruled Credit Card charges are unlawful if they are over £12 already.

I wonder what government departments profit off banks.

The OFT have said nothing of the sort, they have said they will not investigate any charge of £12 or below but a court of law would have to decide if a charge was excessive.

Thats why all of the credit card companies have set their charges to £12 so they wont get investigated by the OFT the charge of £12 still has to be proved in a court of law and it never will because its still way over what it costs the credit card companies.

• Haha 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks