probationary employment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

wonder if anyone can help with this.

I am enquiring about a girl of 17 in her first full time job. the probationary period was 6 months and she has done just over 3. She has had a personality problem with her superior - but no problems with her work . At the christmas party her superior told a colleague she would be getting the sack - and today that happened. (very unprofessional in my opinion)

The reason that was given was that she was behind with her work ( not true) - she was not offered any training or chance to improve.

is there any website where i can just check whether she has any rights in respect of at least being told her work was not up to scratch or being offered more training . I just dont want her first job to be ended this way - as it will not look good on CVs

thanks

jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

What an awful introduction to the world of work.

Whilst the minimum limit for being able to pursue an unfair dismissal case is 12 months, there are circumstances where this would not apply - discimination being one of them. I don't suppose her superior is male?

Even if that does not apply, there may be other avenues to explore. Did the young lady have written details of any T&Cs of employment? Any specific conditions relating to the probationary period? Does she know what the company's disciplinary and grievance procedures are?

It is certainly worth an appeal, if neccessary to a higher authority. Was the employer part of a chain - if so, then a letter highlighting the lack of due process and the fact that her impending dismissal was the talk of the Christmas party might be in order. It is extremely unprofessional of any employer to dismiss even probationary staff without due process. There should have been the normal meetings to identify areas of improvement required on both parts - on the employer's to explain any concerns with the employee's work and for the employee to request additional training if required. It would be normal to then arrange subsequent meetings with target dates for improvement to be seen, extending the probationary period if needs be. Probationary or not, any decision to dismiss should only be made as the result of statutory minimum disciplinary procedures.

You may have already looked, but ACAS really are the ultimate source of knowledge - try Acas - Home or phone them on 08457 474747. Absolutely free, professional advice.

Sadly many people experience what this young lady is going through and I can quite understand your worries about the possible effect of future employment. I have been there and fortunately quickly found another job where the employer agreed that the reason for being dismissed from the last position was ludicrous. Now 20 years later it is only a distant memory!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks very much for your replies

Her superior was actually a woman - and apparently she has got rid of several employees in this way.

She has an introductory letter so I will check that - and definitely there was no proceedure or official warning - she was paid yesterday and asked to leave at the same time. Only verbal and no proper reason given.

My main aim is just to prove to them their proceedure was wrong and just to maybe get her an open reference letter she could use when looking for another job rather than having this on her record.

Thanks for the info -I will check the links to help me draft a letter for her.

Jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE