Pinky ~V~ Capital One

AuntiePink
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The bullet has been bitten! Today I finally sent a CCA letter to Capital One complete with postal order. My statements have the date the account was opened on them as standard but that's not to say they've got a proper agreement so, as of today...

the clock is ticking...

:p Wanting out of the red and into the pink! :p

If I've been nice please tip my scales. If I've been naughty, tip 'em twice! ;)

CURRENTLY CAGGING -

NatWest Bank - no response to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), 40 days passed

Natwest CC - no response to CCA, 12+30 days passed. Calls continue, I ignore.

Sainsburys CCs x 2 - Current T&Cs rec'd in response to CCA request. Letter sent re lack of prescribed terms. Calls continue, mobile set to auto ignore.

Capital One - Copy application form rec'd in response to CCA. Letter sent re lack of prescribed terms. Standard final response received. Calls continue, I ignore.

• 2 weeks later...

Received these from Cap One this morning. Can someone that knows what they're looking for cast an eye over for me please? The T&Cs are the current ones but the two pages of 'agreement' are photocopies so I think I may be on a hiding to nothing here :(

CapOneLetter.jpg

CapOneCA.jpg

CapOneCAp2.jpg

Apoogies if they're either too small to read or completely mahooosive!

CURRENTLY CAGGING -

Sainsburys CCs x 2 - Current T&Cs rec'd in response to CCA request. Letter sent re lack of prescribed terms. Calls continue, mobile set to auto ignore.

Capital One - Copy application form rec'd in response to CCA. Letter sent re lack of prescribed terms. Standard final response received. Calls continue, I ignore.

Thanks, Steven, I thought as much. I guess the next step is to SAR and reclaim charges then? Every little helps, as they say!

CURRENTLY CAGGING -

Deffo have to go the way that i went, CCA route wont work!

NatWest - WON! £3350 Paid back

Vodafone - Default removed

Citicards - Judgement awarded for £1898, default remains though...for now....

Capital One- WON! Settled out of Court £392 + Default Removal!

The first part (with your signature) is an application form. Are those T & C from 2003 when you opened the account or are they the current ones? Their letter says they are the current ones, surely they have to be the ones from 2003 to make it a valid CCA.

I think they're current, they're not photocopied like the agreement anyway.

CURRENTLY CAGGING -

Sorry to say Steven, but that ISN'T an enforceable agreement at all, but a standard mailer application form with T&C that are unrelated. This type of "agreement" is not allowed under SI 1983/1553.

Basically pre May 2005 agreements MUST include the prescribed terms within the body of the signature document and NOT be a separate T&C document.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

its gotta be said that those T&Cs could be from any document,

the bit that stands out to me is the "these terms are taken from.......of the terms and conditions you sign with us" well clearly these must be the terms you sign if they are part of the agreement so that bit under the Regulated by the consumer Credit Act really blows em out of the water, unless tehy can prove that they are on the back of the part you signed

On their website, they tell you of the procedure they use to issue you with a card and an agreement.

On their website under FAQ's it gives you the procedure once you have filled in the form. It says :

Do I need to sign a credit agreement?

Yes. After you've been accepted, we will send out two copies of the credit agreement to you. You need to read and sign the one with the yellow band at the bottom of the page, and send it back to us. The second is for you to keep.

On your paperwork above, there are no terms. How much credit you had been given, what the APR is etc. You have an unenforcable agreement and they know it. Hence the waffle in that letter.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Thanks ben, pt and uk for the correction.

Perhaps you could take this opprotunity to elucidate. I have seen other agreements on this site that have been deemed properly executed and the only T&Cs on the page with the signature relate to the DPA.

I assumed what was posted above were two side of one document - presumably this would not do from what you have said.

Are you saying that an enforceable agreement (pre May 2005 anyway) must have all the T&Cs on the same page as the signature? What is the difference post May 2005?

Thanks ben, pt and uk for the correction.

Perhaps you could take this opprotunity to elucidate. I have seen other agreements on this site that have been deemed properly executed and the only T&Cs on the page with the signature relate to the Data Protection Act.

I assumed what was posted above were two side of one document - presumably this would not do from what you have said.

Are you saying that an enforceable agreement (pre May 2005 anyway) must have all the T&Cs on the same page as the signature? What is the difference post May 2005?

Hi Steven,

aint the law fun:)

the "may" thing is to do with the agreeements amendments which amended the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553).

the biggest issue i have with that document is the fact that the regs require the prescribed terms to be within the agreement not in a separate document entitled T&Cs, now if its a 2 page document the problem you sometimes come up against is if the document is linked I.E it looks as if the two pages are part of the same document

here however,it would be very easy to argue the T&Cs do not appear to be part of the same document. the burden is upon the creditor to prove the document is valid and compliant the question i would ask is why would the document i am purported to have signed have such a reference under neath it unless it was not part of the signature doc

regards

paul

Ooerr! If it's any help to my learned caggers, the terms and conditions were an actual copy on proper foolscap length paper and current so I didn't bother scanning them in (but can do by all means).

The two pages above were photocopies. The 'Credit Agreement' has 2 barcodes/serial numbers on but the 'Credit Agreement Regulated by...' has none.

CURRENTLY CAGGING -

here however,it would be very easy to argue the T&Cs do not appear to be part of the same document. the burden is upon the creditor to prove the document is valid and compliant the question i would ask is why would the document i am purported to have signed have such a reference under neath it unless it was not part of the signature doc
In this case (as I assumed) the T&Cs could be on the back of the sheet with the signature - ie part of the same document. Because it's a photocopy, you can't tell. However, they only have to demonstrate that a properly executed document exists when they get to court in which case they can just produce the original, surely.

Why do you need to send a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) if you already know what the charges are?

I don't know how much the charges come to yet, I was doing the CCA as a first step.

CURRENTLY CAGGING -

failure to provide cancellation rights would render this unenforcable under s64 CCA 1974

64. Duty to give notice of cancellation rights

(1) In the case of a cancellable agreement, a notice in the prescribed form indicating the right of the debtor or hirer to cancel the agreement, how and when that right is exercisable, and the name and address of a person to whom notice of cancellation may be given,—

(a)

must be included in every copy given to the debtor or hirer under section 62 or 63, and

(b)

except where section 63(2) applied, must also be sent by post to the debtor or hirer within the seven days following the making of the agreement.

(2) In the case of a credit-token agreement, a notice under subsection (1)(b) need not be sent by post within the seven days following the making of the agreement if either— (a)

it is sent by post to the debtor or hirer before the credit-token is given to him, or

(b)

it is sent by post to him together with the credit-token.

(3) Regulations may provide that except where section 63(2) applied a notice sent under subsection (1)(b) shall be accompanied by a further copy of the executed agreement, and of any other document referred to in it.

(4) Regulations may provide that subsection (1)(b) is not to apply in the case of agreements such as are described in the regulations, being agreements made by a particular person, if— (a)

on an application by that person to the Director, the Director has determined that, having regard to—

(i) the manner in which antecedent negotiations for agreements with the applicant of that description are conducted, and

(ii) the information provided to debtors or hirers before such agreements are made,

the requirement imposed by subsection (1)(b) can be dispensed with without prejudicing the interests of debtors or hirers; and

(b)

any conditions imposed by the Director in making the determination are complied with.

(5) A cancellable agreement is not properly executed if the requirements of this section are not observed.

There is a right to cancel box on the terms and conditions they sent but of course, they're the current terms, nothing to do with what I signed in the first place.

CURRENTLY CAGGING -

Below is a credit agreement from Clydesdale. The only T&Cs with the signature relate to DPA. I presume the other T&Cs are on the back - they didn't send anything else in response to CCA request. I know this is not enforceable as it stands but I know that they have an enforceable agreement they could produce in court.

cfs%20agreement.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well it seems Ms Renshaw has finally got round to my file as I received this today...

finalreply.jpg

The continued overleaf part was just about the phone numbers, nothing important.

Now pondering the next step... :|

CURRENTLY CAGGING -

My friend has the same identical letter. They sent the CURRENT terms and conditions to you, so they have not complied CCA 1974. The terms and conditions sent, should be from the time you signed your agreement.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers