• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

c.c. v HSBC ***SETTLED IN FULL***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6563 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After looking at the process for a while I put in a claim against HSBC for 3000. I did this on the 31st of May. I heard nothing from them, so on the 21 June (1st date I could) I entered a plea for a judgment by default. This was accepted and has been posted on to them. It is now 27th june and I have not received any word or payment from HSBC at all. The next step is to enter an "enforcment warrent". This enables the courts to send out the baliffs to collect the money from them. (Wouldn't that be cool). Does anyone know if the is a lenght of time that I should wait? It will cost me another 120 to do this but I would pay twice that if I could be at the bank when it happened to see their faces.

I made the claim through Moneyclaim and it just feels weird that all of this process has happened with no contact from the bank at all. Does anyone have any idea what to do?????????? When I have read past cases the bank has always seemed to make an offer at some point or repay the money straight away. I feel I have done all that I should and still have no result for all of the hard work I put into it.

I think it's very strange that they did not Acknowledge the claim, but wouldn't be the first.

It's likely that they would now seek a 'set aside' - possibly claiming never to have received notification of the court case.

Did they previously respond to your initial requests by letter?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

They could still apply for, and get, a set aside, but not submitting a defence in time is not going to help them.

The best thing to do is to ring the court nd get confirmation of the timescales involved - i.e. when can you enforce the debt - I don't know this off hand.

Be sure to include subsequent court costs when seeking recovery.

If you get to enforcement, let us know and we can try to publicise it.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Have been on to the courts this morning. They have told me that a judgement has been issued by default on the 21st june. They have said that I am now within my rights to send in the baliffs. I asked them if it would be worth ringing the bank to see if they intend to pay up, they said to try it. Just got off the phone to the bank and they have said that they do have some corrispondance on file from me but that it has been sent to their legal department. Have been told that I will get a call back today regarding this issue. I am usure what to do. Should I wait a couple of hours and if I hear nothing then put out the warrent or should I just screw them now?

• Haha 1

Personally, I think it's an oversight on their part - they have probably got so many to deal with that they have missed yours - I wouldn't get heavy until you are sure about what has gone on.

You need to get in touch with their solicitors, I think (who are handling all the post-action stuff), and have a sensible telephone conversation - chances are they will escalate your claim and offer you a settlement sharpish.

There are contact details for DG somewhere in the HSBC forum.

Does anyone disagree with me? - HSBC have behaved with similar patterns for all claims so far, this seems to be an exception.

CC will be back shortly with an update - some PMing and phone calls have resulted in more clarity being brought to bear. :)

See the steps I took to get my bank charges back.

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Thank you Consumer Action Group.

Read my blog.

Collage001.gif

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Today has been fun.

It started with a call to moneyclaim to see how things were going. We found out at this stage that because the bank had not paid we could issue a "warrent" for the money we were owed from the bank as we had been issued a judgment by default.

We called the bank to ask if they were going to pay and they passed us from pillar to post.

In the mean time we were getting advice from several people off this site. (thank you). We decided to call the bank back and ask them for the money to be paid into our account today, if it wasn not paid in then we would issue a warrent for it. We even asked if they wanted the baliffs to go to our local branch or head office. (They said head office as that was where the legal dept was)

The man we spokes to said that he would speak to the legal dept and then let us know what was happening. He called back an hour later and told us that 3300 would be in our account by the end of toay. This is the full amount that we were owed. This bit of news has suprised us as we were prepared for the fact that they would drag their heels for a lot longer. There was talk that the bank could have got the order "set aside", which would in effect take us back to the beginning of our claim, but luckly they haven't. Lets just see now if the money goes into our account today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to all of the people who have offered advice and support to us today, it was much needed and appreciated. Will let you know if the money goes in and make a donation tomorrow.

Great result - well done. :)

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Read my blog.

Collage001.gif

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

fantastic news, bet you were getting more than a bit nervous there ;)

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Let us know - we are getting nervous...:)

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Read my blog.

Collage001.gif

Well done, thats great news! after all, remember it is YOUR money not theirs.:)

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

CONGRATULATIONS

This is great news, well done.

Would you please fill out our survey - Bank Charges Refund Survey

(and don't forget we can only survive if we get donations!! cough cough)

Hi,

Well done, I am new to this and need to get a claim rolling for my wife as HSBC have taken her for a mint for a long time.

From reading this site the steps i should take are;

1, request DPA letter (where do i send this too)

2, Issue 1st claim letter to HSBC ask for reply in 14 days(where do i send this)

3, Issue 2nd claim letter giving them another 14 days

4, If not payment then use moneyclaim through the small claims court

One final question, are people asking for there overdraft interest back?

Thanks

I will keep you posted on progress.....

Hello

We sent all of Data Protection Act and letters to our local branch. Maybe this is why they didn't defend the case. We were told by hsbc they had to send it to headoffice when they received it. I think someone made a mistake with the forms and we got lucky.

So far you seem to be going in the right direction. Make sure you keep all your paperwork together and log any calls that you get from the bank along with a brief note of what they regaurded. If in doubt when the bank contact you say you want everything in writting and as such dont wish to carry on a discussion with them.

Dont let the phase you keep to the stratagy and you will be fine. You will get a standard letter that basically dismisses you, IGNORE IT.

We didnt ask for the interest but I think that you can. We got interest on what they owed us at8%.

GOOD LUCK and let me know. Enjoy dreaming of what to do with the money.