Unauthorised Card Debit

Potos
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need help from anybody familiar with banking practices

A couple of days ago my son attempted to buy an annual season ticket at a railway station.

The ticket clerk told him that due to a problem with his card machine he would have to input the details manually.

He then rang to try for an authorisation code but said that he was unable to do so.

My son left the station and later that day went to another station to purchase his ticket. This time the transaction was refused because he had insufficient funds in his account.

He spoke to his bank who confirmed that the first clerk had been given an authorisation code twice and had attempted to debit my son's account 9 times.

He has reported this to the police who ,not surprisingly, are not interested

He has spoken to the station manger who has "promised an investigation"

The railway company say that it could take up to 10 days to return the money to his account

His bank claim that they are unable to refund the money until they receive authorisation from the railway's bank.

As this is an unauthorised deduction, my son did not sign anything or use his pin number, is his bank correct or are they obliged to do more.

Thanks

Not sure on this one but someone will know!

I had a simial situation but with a mail order firm. They said they could only process 1 item at a time so were going to make 4 transaction 1 for each item but they took the four individual and then another for the toal all together. I got the authorizations numbers and went into my bank who credited the account there and then.

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thanks for the advice.

After numerous phjone calls totherailway company somebody has finally taken the initiatice and sent a fax to my son's bank authorising a refund.

Now to kick some arse

why does he have to get over it its his money which as been took without his permission he has every right to complain about and demand a refund it wouldnt matter if its £2 or £2000 it is still his right to claim a refund

If you took the time to read the thread, they are doing the refund. Therefore whilst it was probably annoying at the time, someone made a mistake. However is it really worth getting all worked up about it now that it has been resolved.

He spoke to his bank who confirmed that the first clerk had been given an authorisation code twice and had attempted to debit my son's account 9 times.

He has reported this to the police who, not surprisingly, are not interested

He has spoken to the station manger who has 'promised an investigation'

I think it's this issue that the OP is most concerned with. Why on earth did the clerk try nine times? Was the cardholder present at each attempt? I would expect the station manager to not only investigate this but to review training procedure; let's face it, if a card won't 'go through' twice (maybe at the most optimistic, thrice) then it won't 'go through', full stop. I would want full assurance from this manager that the clerk wasn't trying to access the account for their own purposes.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Demon, I think it was probably someone who kept swiping the card and not allowing the system to process it, hence the 9 times the bank said they tried to do so. It sounds like it is a training issue rather than a potential fraud issue, and yes it needs sorting out. However I don't think it is necessary for the OP "now time to kick some arse" attitude.

Why? It appears it was a simple operator error, as human beings some of us do make mistakes. Get over it and move on, life is far to short to get all uptight over something so damned trivial.

From the OP

And that is a simple operator mistake,,,,,,,,,,,,hhmmnn:o

Lloyds TSB -Settled in full 30/08/06 :)

Now whoes next :)

• 5 weeks later...

i agree

i work at a shop and use the card terminal frequently, its the simplest thing in the world to use and attempting to debit the card 9 times with 2 authorisation codes is really shifty.

1290 back from the Halifax have it you scumbags

You son should contact his card issuer again. Insist these are disputed transactions and ask his card issuer to confirm that these transactions weren't authorised by PIN or by signature (the can't). Let your card issuer sort it out with the railway company, but ask them (card issuer) to furnish you with a crime number.

It could take a while, but his money should be returned.

I'd also tell your MP about the Police's lack of action (although it's not their fault).

Good luck