Students and National Insurance

Surfer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In 1998 at the grand age of 48 years I went back to uni to obtain a BA in Business Studies. After obtaining my degree I obtained work and off I went. As I am now not too far off going on pension in 7 years time I decided to get a forecast. I have only been working in Britain for about 14 years. As it was low I queried this and was told it was because I never paid any NI between 1998 and 2001, 3 years. To make up I have to pay in a lump sum of approximately £500 and I cannot spread the payment. As I don't have £500 at present this means in effect I will not be able to even get the basic pension.

I was under the impression that because you were at uni it was like signing on the dole and your NI would automatically be updated. Can any one throw any light on this otherwise it may not be very feasible for people to return to uni at a later stage in their life as they will lose NI credits.

I'm afraid you don't pay get NI paid for you when you are a student as you are in education, not earning or unable to work, as you would bewhen the government pays your NI when you are on benefits.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I'm afraid you don't pay get NI paid for you when you are a student as you are in education, not earning or unable to work, as you would bewhen the government pays your NI when you are on benefits.

This is true, mature students in particular are suseptible to under paying national insurance. I'm not too sure about having to pay the £500 as a lump sum but you can pay class 3 national insurance (also known as voluntary national insurance). That costs £7.35 per week and that might fill the gap in for you?

There's more information from the NUS on this link: http://resource.nusonline.co.uk/media/resource/Information%20Sheet%2018.pdf

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)