Sony laptop woes **SORTED**

David Horn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bit of a strange situation with a Sony laptop bought from Comet in July this year. It freezes randomly when playing games, showing an error message that says "Memory Parity Error - Contact your hardware vendor".

I called Sony, and they said that it's "a Windows thing", and since a memory testing program says the RAM is OK, won't look at it without charging me. Comet agree with Sony.

The manager of the store explained that the guarantee only covers the hardware; that this is a software problem, and that it is my responsibility to prove otherwise - despite the fact that a hardware specific error message is displayed on the screen when the laptop crashes!

I have no idea what to do now, because Comet delegate everything to Sony. The manager says he has no authority to offer a replacement now it's two months old, and that I should try to avoid playing games. Everyone higher up the line at Comet Customer Services agrees with him.

Any advice before I stick the thing on eBay and suck the £200 loss?

Cheers,

David.

Below is the text of a letter I sent to the MD last week, but I can't see there being much chance of a reply:

Dear Mr Harvey,

I purchased a Sony VAIO FZ11L from the Exeter Comet store in July for £799. One of the reasons I bought it was to run games, for which I chose, paid for, and expected a premium product.

Sadly, the computer has a hardware fault preventing it from running any demanding game successfully, with the machine freezing a random during play and requiring me to switch the computer off and on before I can use it again. As you can imagine, this is extremely frustrating.

Sony is unable to solve the problem over the phone and cannot advise further without inspecting the laptop, at which point they will charge me if a fault is not found. Given that it only occurs when playing games (and very occasionally at that), it seems likely that Sony will be unable to reproduce it. The manager of the Exeter store explained that your guarantee only covers the hardware, and not any software installed, and that it is my responsibility to prove otherwise - despite the fact that a hardware specific error message is displayed when the laptop crashes.

Regardless of where the problem lies, the point is that the computer is not doing what I bought it to do, and Sony accepts that as of this moment they don’t know how to fix it. Your store says that it is Sony’s responsibility, and the customer, me, is trapped in the middle with a computer that is not fit for its purpose and essentially useless for anything but browsing the internet, something a machine a quarter its price could do.

I chose to buy from you because I have, in the past, received exemplary customer care and support, and I am surprised to have been let down like this. I am more than happy to accept a replacement machine and am not pushing for a full refund.

I look forward to receiving a reply from you within the next 14 days. If not, I am afraid that I will have no choice but to take the issue to the Small Claims Court, as regretfully I cannot see any other solution.

Yours sincerely,

David Horn

Firstly, it is for Comet to sort this out as that is with whom you have a contract with, not Sony.

Secondly, within the first 6 months, the presumption is that the goods were faulty to begin with. It is down to the seller to prove otherwise.

How Sony can say that it is one thing without even looking at it is, frankly, a joke (bear in mind also my first sentence).

Thirdly, the guarantee is additional to your statutory rights, and does not replace them. In this case, you are seeking restitution as granted by Parliament, and not by what some company says it will do. The guarantee is irrelevant in this case.

I would go back to the shop and quote SoGA - goods must be of satisfactory quality and as described - and tell them to sort it. You are entitled to a repair, replacement or (partial) refund - whichever is the most cost effective and convenient (it is for Comet to chose which).

Hi Gyzmo,

There-in lies the problem! The crash only occurs when playing games and memory tests come back clean. Comet will send it off to Sony for inspection; Sony will say that it's software-related because they're hardly likely to spend several hours playing games on it, and then I have to pay the inspection bill, likely to be over £100.

This is the real issue, unfortunately, as regardless of whether it's hardware or software, the responsibility is on me to prove that the problem is inherent in the laptop, at my expense.

Thanks,

David.

Hi Gyzmo,

There-in lies the problem! The crash only occurs when playing games and memory tests come back clean. Comet will send it off to Sony for inspection; Sony will say that it's software-related because they're hardly likely to spend several hours playing games on it, and then I have to pay the inspection bill, likely to be over £100.

This is the real issue, unfortunately, as regardless of whether it's hardware or software, the responsibility is on me to prove that the problem is inherent in the laptop, at my expense.

Thanks,

David.

No, it isn't, and you are not listening to what Gyzmo said:

Within the first 6 months of purchase, it is up to them to prove that it is isn't faulty, NOT for you to prove it is. Nor can they make you pay for the tests and/or repairs. However, with the clock ticking on the 6 months, I would hurry up if I were you. ;-)

Hi Bookworm,

I do see where you're coming from, but if the laptop passes Sony's own tests, surely that would be more than enough to counter my evidence that it is faulty? On top of this, Comet obviously believe that Sony is entitled to charge, and if Sony decide that I ought to pay, they have my laptop as an excellent bargaining chip.

Why not take the laptop AND the game (or several) to the store - they can't turn round and say that all the games are faulty. And the costs bit again does not matter. Sony can charge Comet if they want - that is between them and nothing to do with you.

• Haha 1

Hi there,

Happens on Sony's OEM version of Vista Home Premium and my university copy of Vista Ultimate. Haven't tried XP because it needs a floppy drive to load the SATA drivers.

The games it's most prevalent in are Microsoft Flight Simulator X (which I use a fair amount because I'm working my way towards an ATPL), and Bioshock. Doesn't happen in Worms Armageddon, but it's a 5 year old game. I haven't got any newer games to try, but I'll hunt out some demos on the internet later. 3DMark2005 runs through correctly, but at times you can play for hours and hours before it'll crash.

I believe that the games do indeed use DirectX, but I've downloaded the latest version for Bioshock, and it crashes regardless of whether Bioshock is set to run in DX9 or DX10 mode.

There is no error code given. The full message is:

*** Hardware Malfunction

Call your hardware vendor for support

NMI. Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

*** The system has halted ***

Sometimes the writing on the blue screen is corrupted, and sometimes it freezes up and never gets to the blue screen.

Hiya Gyzmo,

Been there, done that, I'm afraid! The manager and staff just said that they weren't qualified engineers and so couldn't comment on the situation. :(

No one is expecting them to be so, but it is still their obligation to sot it (using a third party if necessary). Saying "we don't know" is not an acceptable response.

No one is expecting them to be so, but it is still their obligation to sot it (using a third party if necessary). Saying "we don't know" is not an acceptable response.

I quite agree, but do you see the situation they've put me in? They are prepared to send it off to Sony on the basis that I will pay if Sony decide it's a Vista issue. The manager will not budge on this issue, and says the buck stops with him.

Three possible scenarios now present:

1) I send it off and it comes back fixed. Unlikely, I think, given that it passes memory tests.

2) I send it off, Sony send me a bill, and I have to pay it to get the computer back. ~£100 out of pocket.

3) I send it off, refuse to pay, and Sony refuses to give the computer back to Comet. With no support from the company, I really do not see any options open to me.

I would love to go down and just get involved in a shouting match, but it comes down to the fact that I either end up without a computer, or £100 down. It is very easy to say that Comet has these obligations, but if they simply choose to ignore them what is one to do?

I really do appreciate all the advice given here, but reading through the archives in the Comet forum reveals one, perhaps two threads where someone has been successful against them.

That's why I think the best option is to simply eBay the thing and be rid of it. At least I can honestly say it's in perfect condition... ;-)

Heat is main problem with laptops and gaming intensifies this, unless its specifically made for gaming jet engine fans are not installed as standard.

Probably there lies your problem, memory gets overheated, errors start to appear.

Hardware and software problems , but who to blame?

If they do either of these things, you get Trading Standards on their backsides.

I am not sure how much clearer any of us can make it: These are your STATUTORY rights, they can not simply pass the buck.

I can also tell you that if you try to flog it on ebay and the buyer gets the same issue, you are opening a whole new can of worms for yourself.

Ultimately, it is your choice, we have given you all the advice we can as regards your rights, what you do next is up to you.

From your posts. I strongly suspect that you have a highly intermittent video memory problem.

The memory diagnostic that you have run will not test the VRAM.

My advice is to take the advice above from Bookworm and Gyzmo.

Take it back to Comet, outline the problem and tell them that you want it sorted - SOGA makes them liable, whatever nonsense they are saying about Sony. If Comet send it to Sony and Sony say it's software, pay us - it's not your problem.

You don't care if it is hardware of software - you want it fixed in order that it is fit for purpose. As gyzmo says, if they won't budge, the your next stop is trading standards.

2 pieces of advice. they have tested the memory so there is no issues with the physical memory. this is what i suggest you do.

place the sony OEM vista CD into the drive and restore it to factory settings. before turning on for the first time call sony/ go into store and tell them to test it. because it does not have Antivirus software or other personal stuff, just the standard stuff supplied. if the fault occurs then it has nothing to do with you personally.

just be sure the games you play are designed for vista. also play with the settings of the games.

for instance the sony may have 128mb video memory but you have game set on full graphics requiring 256mb memory.

by wiping computer back to factory settings is first step sony would do. and if it cured it then obviously they would ask for £100.

try different games, like the new fifa 08 which is vista certified.

by sony doing memory tests etc they have proved it not physical fault. but by wiping computer you can prove it not software either. thus under SOGA they have to look into it in more detail without worrying you about costs.

just be sure when you wipe it. it only has the OEM vista sony supplied and you offer them to borrow a vista certified game to test.

putting your own software may cost you the £100. but if its just has the software they supply then they wont charge you. especially if you wipe it and not turn it on to set it up for first time, letting them do it.

to note about software. because software is so volitile with human errors, viruses and incompatibily software the whole fit for purpose excludes software. if it is a setting in the wrong place or a incompatibilty issue then you will be charged. if it is an issue with vista then sony will send you a fresh vista oem disk to install.

so make sure when you wipe the computer you leave it for them to setup and test. then they cant blame you for changing settings etc

A happy ending:-

My letter to the MD got a very rapid response. After talking to Sony, he put me through to someone experienced in their tech support department who instantly agreed with my diagnosis of the VRAM.

The next day I got a call back asking me to go into my local store and choose a replacement, where a different (and extremely helpful!) manager offered me an additional £50 discount on a newer model - I have a rather swish Toshiba now with an HD-DVD drive, and FSX works beautifully.

So Sony still sucks, but once I got through to the right person at Comet they went the extra mile for me, which is what I was used to. So I'm happy, and they're going to get the sales for the new HDTV and HD camcorder we're planning on for next year.

Cheers to everyone for your help and advice, I'm sure I wouldn't have got such a positive outcome if not for your help.

David.