Jackanory Vs Egg ***WON***

Jackanory
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5781 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right then, after last year successfully getting £1100 back from HSBC, now it's Egg's turn! Like a lot on here it seems, they have taken my card away despite never missing a payment and not going over my limit in 2 years. I requested my statements, paid a tenner and hey presto - they owe me £*** plus interest. Which will pay for my holiday this year, thanks Egg!

I wrote my first letter on April 20th, got the standard "we think our charges are valid" letter back from someone called Sheila Hood. I've now sent letter 2 (LBA), I have about £600 outstanding on my account so I've added on the letter that "I will only accept complete payment by form of cheque, any offer to fully, or partially credit my account will be rejected as being completely unacceptable".

Will keep everyone one here informed.... Would be good to hear from anyone else at a similar stage or, in particular, anyone that has requested payment by cheque rather than account credit?

Edited by Jackanory

I requested payment by cheque and accepted payment (in full without interest) by BACS. My thread is here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/egg/134069-steveh2508-egg.html

Nationwide - Prelim sent 02/07 - MCOL filed 04/07 CHARGES SETTLED IN FULL!!

Woolwich- Prelim sent 04/07 - Offered 90% - 06/07 accepted

MBNA - Prelim sent 02/07 - CCA request sent 03/07 - CCA reply (illegible + no T&Cs) - DCA sent packing - Restons now trying - gone quiet

Citicard - Prelim sent 02/07 - CCA request sent 04/07 - replied 04/07 No contract & not enforcing!- passed to 1st Credit- gone quiet

Egg - Prelim sent 02/08 - 3 letters - full offer 03/08 SETTLED IN FULL!!

(All starry, rep, clicky thingies gratefully received!)

I believe Egg would be more disposed, if so requested, to pay any moneys into your own bank account (sortcode, accno). If a cheque is sent and it goes astray or is intercepted, regardless of crossed or not, it can be cashed quite easily these days using an unscrupulous cheque cashing shop.

Another reason why Egg ask for proof of ID and utility bill when statements are requested.

Good luck.

Edited by Mistermind
typo

Cheers, very helpful actually, some top quality letters in there too! Any reason why you didn't chase the interest?

Speed - lack of hassle - certainty of outcome - I took a value judgement that they would roll over for the basic amount fairly easily and I have other things to do with my time than argue with that crowd (in or out of court). They took a 'commercial decision' - I took a commercial decision - who do you think was right? :grin:

MBNA - Prelim sent 02/07 - CCA request sent 03/07 - CCA reply (illegible + no T&Cs) - DCA sent packing - Restons now trying - gone quiet

Citicard - Prelim sent 02/07 - CCA request sent 04/07 - replied 04/07 No contract & not enforcing!- passed to 1st Credit- gone quiet

Right then, Egg have offered me a £4 refund on all 20+ charges that were £20. It mentions in the letter that the OFT stated that the presumption of unfairness in relation to charges over £12 would NOT apply and specifically refer to Egg's practice of requiring all account holders to have a direct debit set up.

It also says "you allege these charges are a penalty. You put forward no evidence to support this and we do not accept it" I thought as I am contacting them they are the ones required to show me evidence to prove that they are justified at £12, £16 or £20?

I'm going to push for court proceedings now, should I use MCol or go to a court direct? Do I have to wait for the 14 days to pass after my LBA before I can do this or can I do it now? I suppose I need to send the old "I accept your offer of £*** but will only accept this as a part payment for the full amount of £*** that I want paid by cheque or BACS transfer" etc?

Your help, as always, is very much appreciated!

It is your case to run as you see fit.

Forum experience is that the court route will only slow down repayment. Egg does not stall and resist like other cards. The £4 offer Eggployees just sent you is their red herring template letter which they are obliged by upstairs to send out. They do not believe CAG claimants will be put off, but are obliged to try. It is a choreographed dance, already performed many times in the past.

A letter in plain English, such as the one below, is generally sufficient to produce a result, sometimes within the week -- provided your claim figures are accurate.

03 weeks
- 22 JAN 2008 -
WINNING TEMPLATE LETTER
- andrew_nwide -
WON!! Egg Smashed £900

Excellent, I'll send it recorded delivery first thing tomorrow ala the superb example on the link you attached. To be fair Egg have been very quick in responding so I'll give them a week (maybe 2) from tomorrow for them to respond before I go legal on them.

As you can see from my thread and from Mistermind's post they are just producng the standard boiler-plated letters, hoping that you will take the money and run. Stick with it and they will pay up in full.

Think of it from their point of view, if 1 in a 100 of those letters saves them a payout or reduces it from £20 to £4 an item they are quids in over the thousands of claims they deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been offered the full amount + interest, a 100% refund - to a bank account of my choice. Victory - Chalk it on the list of Egg victors! As soon as the money is in my account a donation will be made to the site.

Cheers for the help.

Congratulations!

Don't like to say 'I told you so - but - I told you so!' They coughed given enough pushing.

Like me, they closed your account so we thought 'don't get mad - get even'

I wonder how much their 'commercial decision' has cost them? :D

• 1 month later...

HI Jackanory

Egg have just offered me a full refund plus interest after a few letters back and forth. However my account was one of the ones terminated and they are refusing to give the money in form of cheque or bacs - I can't afford to donate or even to start next claim if this happens as the money will just go to paying off 1/10th of the outstanding balance...... could you give me any clues as to your obviously winning arguments as to why the money should be paid to bank account not to defunct Egg account?

Many thanks

Moobelle