MCOL - can we get stays lifted??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have phoned MCOL and was told my case is now stayed. When I asked if I could appeal against this, it was implaied as there was little point as the order for a stay had cme from the high court judge as was now going to be applied to all cases for bank charges once they were defended by the banks.

It was indicated that it would be a was of time and money to apply for stay unless i had a very good reason reason for it to be lifted, and this reason reason will be to be strongly evidenced (i.e if claiming illness, report from specialst/Dr confimring nature of illness and why time is an important factor).

Does anyone have any further advice on this???

had the case been transferred to your local court?

In hardship cases then you may be able to get the stay lifted - see post on here today.

jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi

2 of my cases are stuck with MCOL, it hasn't been transferred and apparently won't be until the OFT case is concluded. One managed to sneak through before MCOL started staying cases and i am waiting to hear from my local court whether they are staying that one - I have already sent the stay to be denied letter in for that one.

I would plead finanical hardship, but i don't know how to prove this and I work full time and don't have any benefits. I really can't afford to waste money on an appeal that hasn't got a chance of being successful.

Any suggestions as to what I should do

FSA grants waiver to firms on complaints handling

media.gif

Clive Briault

quote_briault.gifquote_start.gif We believe it is not in the interests of all consumers for complaints to continue to be dealt with in the current inconsistent way.quote_close.gif

FSA/PN/090/2007

27 July 2007

The Financial Services Authority (FSA) today (Friday 27 July) issued a 'waiver' from its complaints handling rules that apply to unauthorised overdraft charges complaints. This follows the decision by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and some firms to initiate a test case in the High Court to resolve legal uncertainties on the application of the law to these charges.

This action means that, until the test case is resolved, any bank or building society that applies for the waiver will not be required to handle complaints relating to unauthorised overdraft charges within the time limits set out in the FSA rules. The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) has adopted a similar approach and the county courts are expected to follow.

Clive Briault, Managing Director, Retail Markets, said:

"The FSA supports the test case on unauthorised overdraft charges as the current situation does not provide certainty or consistency for consumers or firms.

"We have granted the waiver to help facilitate this test case. We believe it is not in the interests of all consumers for complaints to continue to be dealt with in the current inconsistent way. Once there is certainty on these charges, complaints can be dealt with fairly and consistently. To ensure consumer protection we have imposed a number of conditions on the waiver that firms must adhere to."

The conditions in the waiver include dealing promptly with complaints once clarity is achieved and communicating clearly with consumers throughout the process. The FSA also expects firms to continue to help their customers avoid incurring unauthorised overdraft charges in the first instance and to continue to deal with hardship cases.

The FSA will review the waiver in two months time to ensure, among other things, that firms are complying with its conditions. The FSA can also revoke the waiver at any time if it considers that the waiver is no longer appropriate, for example if progress on the test case is not being made or if a delay in the resolution of the test case is likely to cause undue risk to consumers.

The FSA will publish later today the results of thematic work on how firms are currently handling complaints on unauthorised overdraft charges. Practices varied across the visited firms, but in some the FSA found significant deficiencies and important areas of weakness in their approach. These included:

• a failure to respond to complaints fairly and consistently; to address adequately the subject matter of complaints; or to ensure complaints are resolved at the earliest possible opportunity;
  • unfair closure of accounts, or threats to do so; and
  • false or misleading statements made to complainants.

FAQs

1. What is a waiver?

A 'waiver' from a rule means a firm does not have to comply with the requirement being waived.

2. What is being waived?

In the main, we are waiving our rules that specify time limits for dealing with any complaint about the level, fairness or lawfulness of unauthorised overdraft charges. This means firms will not have to deal with these complaints within the normal time periods required by our rules.

A firm will still have to record the complaint and acknowledge it within 5 days of receipt, but the normal time limit for handling complaints will not apply. Time will be treated as not running in relation to complaints on charges for the duration of the waiver.

Normal time periods:

• within 4 weeks of receiving the complaint, the firm must issue a written response or a holding reply; and
  • within 8 weeks of receiving the complaint, the firm must issue a written response or reply informing the complainant of the reason for delay, expected date of final response and right to go to FOS.

The waiver is initially being granted for one year, or until the resolution of the test case. We will review it after two months to ensure that there is a stay of proceedings in the courts of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland; the FOS is not proceeding with cases about unauthorised overdraft charges until resolution of the test case; that firms granted the waiver are complying with the conditions; and, more generally, the continuation of the waiver remains appropriate.

3. Why has the FSA granted a waiver?

We have granted the waiver to help facilitate this test case. We believe it is not in the interests of all consumers for complaints to continue to be dealt with in the current inconsistent way. Once there is certainty on these charges complaints can be dealt with fairly and consistently. To ensure consumer protection we have imposed a number of conditions on the waiver that firms must adhere to.

4. What does it mean for consumers and banks and building societies?

Consumers:

• Consumers with complaints outstanding (currently with a bank/building society)
    The complaint will remain with the bank/building society; normal time processing rules will not apply. Complaints will be dealt with as quickly as possible once the test case is concluded.
  • Consumers who have just been given an offer from the bank/building society
    Consumers will have two months to decide whether to accept the bank or building society's offer or to wait for the outcome of the test case. If consumers choose to accept the offer, it is unlikely that they will be able to complain again later regardless of the outcome of the test case. If consumers choose to wait for the outcome of the test case, they will not be able to take up the firm's original offer and the firm will only deal with the complaint once the test case is concluded.
  • Consumers who may wish to complain from today
    Consumers can still complain now or they can wait until the test case is complete - they will not be disadvantaged. The complaint will be recorded and stored by the firm and will be dealt with as quickly as possible once the test case is concluded.

We will still require any new complaints to be acknowledged within 5 days.

• Consumers for whom Scotland is the most likely jurisdiction
    Consumers may choose to take their complaint to the FOS or the courts in Scotland. The right to refer the complaint to the FOS will not be affected. However, if the customer wants to bring a claim to the courts in Scotland, the timing of when the claim is raised may be important. They are advised to seek independent advice on filing a claim now to protect their rights (although a court fee will be payable).
  • Consumers who have already had a settlement and think they may want it reviewed
    A full and final settlement stands. In some exceptional circumstances the complaint can be reviewed, for example, if there is evidence of coercion or bullying.

Consumers can still complain about new charges incurred.

• Consumers who have received a final response from the bank/building society which does not include an offer
    Consumers still have the option of complaining to FOS. However, the banks and building societies have also requested that the FOS does not consider any complaints about unauthorised overdraft charges until resolution of the test case.
  • Consumers who are in very difficult financial circumstances - 'hardship cases'
    Banks and building societies will have to conduct a filtering process to ensure that cases of genuine hardship are still dealt with during the waiver period. Cases of hardship would still be entitled to be referred to, and dealt with by, the FOS.

Dont know what to say really - you could try using the full transcript from internet?

If it is a hardship plea you would have to prove it.

If the stay is at the judges instigation there may not be a fee.

My case is Tuesday and I will be trying everything I can - out of a matter of principal more than anything. So you could just keep reading - see what happens in the next few days before making decision. As for the cases on MCOL not sure what you can do except use the above and write to them?

Jan

• Haha 1

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I have a claim for catalogue charges that I filed through MCOL before they started to stay claims - I haven't had a notification of stay yet, but will I be able to apply to try and get this lifted as it's nothing to do with bank charges?

Many thanks

I recently got a letter of defence from Halifax stating they were applying for a stay, however my claim is for credit card charges. I didn't actually put this on my claim form i just put 'Halifax Plc' so not sure what to do now. Should I just wait and object to the stay if it is granted or will it be quicker to just resubmit my claim specifying it is for credit card charges? can you have simultaneous claims for the same amount?