British Gas and Buchanan, Clark + Wells

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I originally posted this elsewhere, but as someone pointed out, It would be better in the utilities section if this website. Schoolboy error on my part!

Debt: Just over £1000 to British Gas Trading

I am hoping someone can help me through this quagmire. In August last year I started a new job in a distant country and left my flat in the hands of an estate agent. I was instructed by the agents to allow them to transfer over the gas and electricity accounts when a new tennant moved in. This is because they wanted to avoid a reconnection fee.

A new tennant moved in in the middle of December. My agents wrote to British Gas to transfer the gas and electricity accounts. I have copies of the letters.

My father recently received a 'formal demand' from BC+W, addressed to me, for the above sum. It is dated 4th June 2007. They provide no explanation in their letter. It came as something of a shock since I paid by direct debit for the whole of the three years that I lived in the flat.

I telephoned BC+W from distant lands and was told that it was a debt for the whole of the three years for electricity. I needed to pay immediately (what with?) to avoid further action. I had relinquished all rights by absconding from the country without informing British Gas. Maybe my retired parents could pay on my behalf? They also told me not to bother phoning British Gas: they would not talk to me.

On 18th June I sent them a letter from abroad, registered, saying that I am in dispute and would deal with this when I returned to the UK. The postmaster said the letter might take 15 days which worried me.

I arrived back in the UK 2 days ago (2nd July) to find a 'final notice' dated 9th June! They threaten legal proceedings to recover interest and costs.

Since I paid by direct debit the whole time I lived in the flat, I fail to see how a debt of over £1000 can build up. I feel that British Gas have behaved quite unreasonably in this matter since they has the contact details of my agents and could have persued this through them.

I am sorry to be so lengthy but I thought that some detail might be useful.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions!

[i got another very threatening letter this morning headed 'Legal Notification'. It is clearly a standard letter so they have made no attenpt to address my particular situation.]

I would recommend sending in a letter requesting a copy of all statements for that 3 year period, to investigate your missing direct debit payments (you are sure they were taking both payments aren't you, not just gas?), and to hold collection action until this is resolved.

If there is no response within 21 days complain to energywatch ;)

Just one point though, in all fairness BG couldn't have persued this through your agents as if they discussed the account with them they would be breaking the data protection act.

When you were paying by d/d, did you pay on estimated or actual readings?

When your tenants moved in, your agent should have arranged to read the meters and sent the reading (your closing reading, the tenants' opening reading to British Gas.

You should then be billed up to your closing reading. If you'd been paying by d/d on underestimated readings for a while, and not paying enough, a substantial bill could have built up, but IME it's more likely that there is an error somewhere.

I work for a letting agent so deal with BG and meter readings every day, it's astonishing how many errors they can make.

Once you have copies of the bills and a note of your closing reading, and records of your d/d payments you should be able to see what has happened.

Thanks, gondukin. I have done something like this, and so I can only wait to see the response. The 21 days limit is useful to know as is who to complain to.

There is no 'fixed limit' as such, but energywatch will only take on a complaint if you have given the company an opportunity to resolve it first. 21 days would seem ample, at least to acknowledge your complaint if not resolve it altogether.

Check the reads and i would complain to Ofgem instad of Energywatch.

Energywatch are just a consumer group with no clout!

Everytime you complain to Ofgem, British Gas and all the other energy companies get a £300 fine.