Can i claim back my student loan charges or will they blackmail more money from me?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can i claim back my student loan charges or will they blackmail more money from me? Heres the situation:

I have £350 student loan ""arrears"", made up of £200 charges ( mostly all from letters) and £150 from loan repayments.

I have disputed the arrears as I was assured by their staff my loan was deferred. It wasnt. . .I am now liable to pay almost 3months of repayments + charges.

I pay £20 per month towards this direct debit.

From this the slc takes the £7 interest from my total loan amount and pays £13 to the arrears.

I am furious about this and think I have good grounds to at least get the £200 charges refuned.

BUT.....

When I asked for an independent review the slc threatened to take me to court and repay my entire loan amount unless I made an arrangement to pay. Threatened with this I made an arrangement to pay. However I was sent to a debt collector. After a struggle my account is now back with the slc. and Im paying my £20 per month.

So what can I do? Will they just demand the full loan amount and cancel the loan agreement if I try to reclaim my charges?

I think its blackmail!

Can anyone help ?

Can i claim back my student loan charges or will they blackmail more money from me? Heres the situation:

I have £350 student loan ""arrears"", made up of £200 charges ( mostly all from letters) and £150 from loan repayments.

I have disputed the arrears as I was assured by their staff my loan was deferred. It wasnt. . .I am now liable to pay almost 3months of repayments + charges.

I pay £20 per month towards this direct debit.

From this the slc takes the £7 interest from my total loan amount and pays £13 to the arrears.

I am furious about this and think I have good grounds to at least get the £200 charges refuned.

BUT.....

When I asked for an independent review the slc threatened to take me to court and repay my entire loan amount unless I made an arrangement to pay. Threatened with this I made an arrangement to pay. However I was sent to a debt collector. After a struggle my account is now back with the slc. and Im paying my £20 per month.

So what can I do? Will they just demand the full loan amount and cancel the loan agreement if I try to reclaim my charges?

I think its blackmail!

Can anyone help ?

Who did you talk to? Collections? These monkeys earn 13k a year plus bonuses so the bonus depends on how much they can collect. So they lie….. in my opinion

The changes are unlawful, and can be claim back via the same process as bank charges. See previous threads. Your “arrears” seem quite low for court action but if you have time do it.

Make a formal compliant, ask to speak to a collection team leader and explain the situation. Imply your going to make a formal complaint. Ask for names of the Team leader tell them you going to include their name in you formal complaint, tell them you have been subject to harassment, unlawful practices as set out by the office of fair trading by their collection team ( sit back and watch them run). If they refuse to help you! Make your make a formal complaint . IT’S YOUR RIGHT!

I think you’ve made a mistake with you interest calculations. So check again.

I’d all so send a DPA letter to see what’s going on. This will also have the effect of letting them know you mean business and know your rights. They hate that…

Good luck the power!

Thanks. I have recently been told by one of their employees that the slc is not under the same guidelines as banks as it is a "non profit organisation".

Has anyone been told this?

Was also told that I am liable to pay towards the full account interest until i clear my arrears.

Its infuriating! And I've been charged £200 for several identical letters!

Im going to seek some more advice. Keep you posted!

I have a court claim in process at the moment to reclaim SLC charges and the statutory interest.

I also have arrears of approx £2K, I think. They will try to say the charges are lawful but, as with the banks, they will not supply info and the letters are automated. As are the phonecalls on the auto-dialler. Also, they try to say their costs are such and such but won't supply proof, and their estimates for employee time do not balance out with job adverts which quote salaries.

Have you deferred your loans? If so you are not liable to pay towards them.

I'd dispute the account, ask them to refund the charges (prelim letter), if you have already done a SAR.

Just shout if you need some help/support.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hiya!

I claimed my charges back in the same way as from a bank.

They sent an Offer of Settlement for the full amount claimed, on the day they had to respond to my claim.

(£212 in £12 and £20 letter charges, interest on these charges @ 8% and my £36 Court fee)

Sorted. :D