• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lady P V A & L (2)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6137 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Finally got round to taking the bank to court, and after offering me a pittance for the total claim (£650 out of nearly 4), I have written the letter back with "thanks but no cigar" letter.;)

Now a little worried, will they really turn up in court, or roll over and play dead?

Please advise as I am now worried about how to put my case before the judge?:evil:

thanks all

Lady P

try reading as many threads as you can on A&L and other banks - as far as I know they have not yet defended at a final hearing - but noisypinkbubble had to attend a preliminary hearing at the local court.

take one stage at a time - KEEP READING - FAQ - step by step instructions and library.

If it did get to that stage there is lots of help here. The two cases where the banks have won seem to be because of badly prepared cases and one where the claimant did not appear. However there are lots of cases going through and I think the judges feel there should be a test case soon to stop the unprecedented number of claimants.

I am still moving forward with my claim untill I know differently.

jansus:)

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

• 3 weeks later...

Quick Update from Lady P

I took them to court, (not won yet) and surprise, surprise, they have defended.

I have sent the solicitors a copy of the charges as they said in their defence "insufficient particulars of claim", and it has now been transferred to Croydon County court.

Sorry to sound stupid, do I sit tight and wait for a court date now, and then prepare a bundle?

Thanks all

Lady P;)

Quick Update from Lady P

I took them to court, (not won yet) and surprise, surprise, they have defended.

I have sent the solicitors a copy of the charges as they said in their defence "insufficient particulars of claim", and it has now been transferred to Croydon County court.

Sorry to sound stupid, do I sit tight and wait for a court date now, and then prepare a bundle?

Thanks all

Lady P;)

You're doing everything correctlyicon7.gif Yes, wait now for your local court to get in touch ... you'll eventually receive the judge's directions together with a court date. It normally takes a few weeks to get this, but it depends entirely how busy your local court is.

Don't automatically presume you'll have to prepare a full "court bundle" which is basically all the back-up legal papers and case histories the judge may ask you for. It's likely you'll have to include your Charges Schedule, copies of all correspondence between parties and copies of statements with charges highlighted (only those with charges on). You may also be asked for a Statement of Evidence and/or Witness Statement (templates on here) with the basic court bundle as back-up, but more and more people are only being asked to produce a minimal amount, I presume because the judges are getting fed up with these cases as the bank normally pays up.

If you do have to prepare a full court bundle, a link to the basic information (i.e. OFT report, parliamentary motions, etc.) is here to print off if you have to, together with lots of other useful info. on what might/might not happen. Take a look, but don't print anything off yet ... there's a lot and it may well not be needed :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/64911-got-court-date-guide.html#post553523

In the meantime, I'd get all your correspondence and statements in date order and wait to see what the judge requests from you. When you receive his Order, post his "directions" on here so you'll get plenty of help as to what's required from you.icon7.gif

Mimi

A-Z CAG links to all documents you'll need for

your claim

(Thanks to Michael Brown for all his efforts)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

• 1 month later...

I have a court date (finally)

Late august, now to prepare a court bundle..:(

Erm small thing, if I have mislaid a letter from the bank what can I do?

(I know I should have kept a logical filing system going)

Thanks all, will let you know when I get the money for the housing budget :)

Hi there,

What was in the letter? Did you reply and, if so, could you include this?

What "Directions" have you been given by the judge? If you post them on here, you can get advice on exactly what you need to submit (if you need it of course). It's very important you comply with the judge's request correctly.

Mimiicon7.gif

your claim

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Thank you for your reply,

the directions I have had from the judge are to provide a court bundle before two weeks before the date of appearance, which I dont have a problem finding

The letters I received from wunch of bankers were the standard "our charges are fair and reasonable, no deviations from what everyone else has received.

I am getting a bit worried now re the test cases as this money is going towards my house, and it will put me back a few months whilst I save the rest of the money. Hoping A&L pay up but not holding out much hope.

Sorry to sound down, its fustrating getting all this way for them to put a stay (until the oft's case is resolved)

:(

:D wunch of bankers:D that has had me chortling for nearly 15 mins, thanx for the lift.i realy needed that.good luk with your claim,dont worry to much,:cool: keep twisting the thumb screws you will come out on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people,

I am preparing my court bundle and will post the headings as soon as I have finihsed them.

However I am misisng (thrown away after a sort out) any letters regarding an "automated charge" and pre litigation correspondence.

What can I do about this (can anyone supply me with a sample?/ or how do I resolve this error.

Thanks again all

LAdy P

Hi there,

Well done, you seem to have included most thingsicon7.gif. I'd probably move your Statement of Evidence to the top, followed by your charges schedule and bank statements as these are the most important documents and personal to you. I'd then follow it with your correspondence, T&C's and then the rest.

I also included some relevant case laws (under Relevant Case Law Summary) from the CAG library in mine, together with the Whistleblower report (link below) and googled any up-to-date BBC online articles. Totally up to you whether you include these or not or course :-

The Consumer Action Group - Bank Charges - Reclaim Bank Charges - House of Commons Whistleblower press release from Andrew George MP

Good luckicon7.gif

Mimi x

your claim

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing line in view

Wragge and co have offered a settlement - the amount of fees less interest without appearing in court.

Do I take the money and run or do I go for interest and costs?

Please could you advise - (Fairly urgent as I need to make a decsion soon)

Thanks

Lady P:confused: :D

sorry did not see your post earlier :(

We were both in the same position.

Technically the S69 interest is only awarded at the courts discretion and mine was £168 I halved it called them back saying - I know in previous settlements you have included this interest and I have been subject to considerable costs bringing this case this far - so my counter offer is £xxxx - ( the charges/fees and 1/2 interest) they went away and came back and settled.

Maybe could have got all interest but in view of stays etc - was not going to risk it for £80 and now I dont have to loose money for a day off in court.

Its a case of who blinks first - keep calm and do whats suits you.

Jan

Let us know how you get on - my thread is in A&L successes if you want to see more details - jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Where's the Champagne Cork Smiley :) ?

A & L have just settled, with interest but minus some of the charges which are statute barred (I knew they were, but went too far along the route before I realised).

No day in court (was tomorrow!) so I now have the day off to please myself.

Thanks for all your support and guidance, thanks for those who put this site up and made it easy for the little guy to take on the big guy.

Lady P

Great Well done :D :D

Good result

you will have to join us in the successes forum!

JAn

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Fantastic news, that has given me some hope with the two A&L claims I have sitting on my shoulder. Well done

HFC Bank - First letter claiming £196/LBA sent/£75 offered/rejected/Claim filed

HFC Bank Take 2 - Statements received

A & L - Prelim sent/LBA sent

Barclays (for my Dad) - Awaiting statements/LBA for S.A.R. sent/Statements received/Prelim sent/LBA sent

A & L (for my Son) - Awaiting statements/Statements arrived Prelim letter sent/£280 offered and rejected

Abbey (for my Sister) - ***Won***

Barclays PPI claim

Studio - ***Won***

HSBC - (for my brother-in-law) ***Won*** 8-)

It was Wragges who settled, I am now thinking that they settle according to location, i.e this was to be heard in South london, and Wragges are in Birmingham - therefore may not be in their interests to defend due to costs (I cant see solicitors travelling by coach or cattle class!)

They made an offer last friday for just the amount I had claimed, and I said no as they had fought this all the way, and held out for some of the interest. They paid in full with interest minus the statute barred items.

Waiting for the cheque (as they had closed my account!) - a letter to OFT will be forthcoming, if I want to take it that far!

Best of luck to those in court today.

Regards

Lady P