Ethical banking?

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6664 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Coop touts that it is involved in ethical banking. This is to be aplauded of course. However, they still impose excessive charges for exceeding overdraft limits or for bouncing DDs and SOs.

Is it true, then, that only charity starts at home. Ethics begins somewhere else.

I have taken this up with their call centre muppets, and apparently their ethical policy still stands as their charges are lower than anyone elses!

They are still excessive though, as we are talking a couple of pounds cheaper - I am about to take to take court action against them on Monday unless I have had a reply to my 7 day warning letter.

I moved to them from Bank Of Scotland (HBOS) for the presice reason that I thought they would be fairer, in line with their ethical policy. Nae chance.

Smile £315 Paid In Full March 2006 (no court action)

MBNA £2600 Paid In Full May 2006 (no court action)

HBOS £5800 Paid in Full August 2006 (action raised but not defended)

Morgan Stanley £585 Paid In Full August 2006 (no court action)

It's just so much rubbish, isn't it. "We are ethical because we overcharge slightly less than the others".

The fact remains that disproportionate penalties are unlawful and therefore can scarcely be considered to be ethical.

I suppose that you could quite reasonably argue that in the case of the Coop, failure to act ethically is a breach an implied term to do so.

Good luck with your case. I hope that you give us a blow by blow account of it here.

• 3 weeks later...

That's interesting re Smile - last month my OH went over her OD limit by £65 for about 10 days and wasn't able to correct it because she was in hospital having a baby. Smile have charged £65 for this, consisting of £15 penalty plus an arbitrary daily punishment of £5 on top of penalty rate interest.

I am inclined to go after them for the £65.

The ususal disgraceful story.

Why are you only tempted?

Don't you ever give in to temptation?

If you do, the post it in Other Institutions.

8)

Well it would still be worth making them say what they are doing for their money.

I don't normally like spending my money on a pig-in-a-poke.

£35.00 on £3.75!! :o :o

So are you going to sit there and take it - or are you going to stand up and fight like a ... person? :twisted:

Get copies of the letters. Use the DPA if ncessary. However, all you really need is the bank statement. Ask for a copy of that. The you are in business.

I'm going to lock this thread as it has departed form the original subject title but split off your last post to Other Institutions and respond there

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6664 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks