Bailiff clamping for unpaid parking fines etc.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I've read a lot about the rights of people when bailiffs come to the door, but can find very little about what happens if they clamp your vehicle.

Is there any definitive info on this?

I had a letter put through the door telling me that unless I pay up £600 they would return to clamp my car.

So, what are my rights, does anyone know how I might go about avoiding this, what action I can take should this happen?

What would be the likely ultimate consequences of removing a bailiffs clamp?

How long after this visit should I expect them to return? Is there a cut-off time when they just write it off and don't bother any more?

Incidentally, I'm not disputing the ticket, I just forgot about it, I don't even remember who it was from now. However, my mistake has meant I have a debt that I just cannot afford.

Anyway, thanks

Guest Herbie

You need to telephone the Traffic Enforcement Centre at Northampton County Court who would have issued the warrant. Their tel number is : 08457 045007. They will tell you about the ticket and the date when the warrant was issued.

Which firm of bailiff have left you this letter?

In the morning you need to contact the bailiff company to ask what these fees relate to. Request a breakdown of their fees and charges.

If this is a London PCN the amount that you should pay is:

for a first visit: £222.84

for a second visit £289.46

for a third visit £359.26

The fees scale up to when they clamp or remove a vehilce are Statutory Fees and can be very easily challenged, if need be.

Until a response....I would certainly advise parking your car out of site for the meantime....

I can't find the letter shoved through my door now. I'll have to look some more for it later as there was a handwritted breakdown of costs on it.

Cheers.

• 2 years later...

A bailiff came to my house today for a unpaid parking ticket demanding £401 was his 1st visit wouldnt come to any arrangement to pay him even offered him £100 he clamped my car before I had even spoke to him and was waitin for a lorry to come and tow it! But the lorry didnt come so he said he's be bk by 10am to get it!

If i take his clamp off without damagin itand hide my car and offer to pay in installments will tha be ok do you think? He cant take my car then and will get what he's given and when! He was a right arse aswel I dont know how they live with themselves doing that job.

Ive paid him now but i want to take this further. I didn't have much time and was worried about getting into more trouble if i just took it off I didn't even have 24hrs to sort it out and im not up on these kinda things only found out about this forum yesterday through google! Damm wish I had known that.

Who do I complian to is it the court?

Ive paid him now but i want to take this further. I didn't have much time and was worried about getting into more trouble if i just took it off I didn't even have 24hrs to sort it out and im not up on these kinda things only found out about this forum yesterday through google! Damm wish I had known that.

Who do I complian to is it the court?

You really need to complain to the bailiff company who dealt with this and ask for a break down of all charges and fees

I'm writing a letter as we speak. Thanks everyone for the advise. Theres so much he done which was dealt the wrong way he discussed how much I owed with my mother and not me, on the drive in front of neighbors, clamped the car before I got there threated to put it up another £200 because my mother was saying how disgusting it was and parked on my drive for 3hours whilst waiting for the removal! I didn't have time to even go to a saving account and get it or he wouldn't make an arrangement to pay over a week not even a day.

I spoke to a a police officer who said if I removed the clamp with damage It wouldn't have been illegal and handed it in so he couldn't accuse me of stealing it. I wish I had done this but didn't know had less than a day to find all this out! I wouldn't mind paying ova a period of time but up front like this is ridiculous.

Jelly Bones, put "subject access request template letter" in google and fill that in and send it to them, remember to send a cheque for £10 to cover thier fees and you must allow them 40 days to reply. I would consider sending it by recoreded delivery also and keep copies off everything, letters and proof of postage. I intend to fight my bailiff for "attenence to recover" fee of £175 just for putting a letter through my door!

I think the more people who stick up for themselves the better :)

There are lots of people who can point you in the right direction on this forum, so stick with it :wink:

This might sound silly - but if you are in this position where your car is clamped - could you not sell/transfer ownership to another member of your family.

The car is yours - but if you transfer ownership prior to clamping - then if the change in date of registered keeper was prior to the date the car was clamped - then would the Bailiffs not be breaking the law?