• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Getting a refund but account still "overdrawn"; what to do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I lost my job a few years back and we were shown no mercy by Blair, Oliver, Scott (aka the Bank of Scotland) and it now looks as if, even though we're gradually crawling from the wreckage, I'll be repaying them for the next ninety years.

Now we're obviously going after BoS for the horrendous charges we were hit with during our time of pain, but I'm really wondering if they have some sort of liability based on an element of contributory negligence for their "Sure! HOW much do you need to borrow?" vs "Oh! So you've lost your job? Well your asse belongs to ME now little boy!" modus operandi?

I'm compiling a fact sheet of the entire circumstance and would appreciate the help of any "buddy" who has knowledge of similar.

Best wishes to all of you and a great site!

Ian P of Edinburgh

well in my opinion it is their job to sell loans to people etc, but if the person chooses to have one it is their choice, harsh i know but you must have thought you could afford to have it at the time or you wouldnt have got one.

i dont think that the route that your thinking of going down will get the results you want.

good luck lisaxx

if i have helped you at all click please the scales on top right!

ABBEY

11/4 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) SENT OFF

1/6 LBA SENT

22/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING THEM TO REFUND CHARGES

15/7 STATEMENTS RECEIVED (ALL 6 YEARS WORTH)

20/7 CLAIM ISSUES IN OLDHAM COUNTY COURT.

8/8 CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGED GIVING THEM TILL 21/8.......

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

16/6 Data Protection Act SENT OFF

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

7/8 LBE SENT GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO COUGH UP MY CASH

7/9 FULL REFUND BEEN SENT!!

So what you are saying is that you had been pushed into a loan due to your financ ial position ???

There has been one thread on this site where they claimed a similar story, and won all there charges and the loan amount from RBS. Unfortunatly cannot remember who it was, or how they did it.

So not much use then...............

Tomba90

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

- Mahatma Gandhi

• 1 month later...

Hi,

just in the midst of gleaning Data Protection Act accounts from Scotland (pre-merger) and Halifax for 4 BoS accounts.

Lost my job a few years back and that's when the nightmare began because we could not sustain our loan repayments; so for a couple of years I've been repaying "Blair, Oliver, and Scott" on a monthly basis. Their letter dated 8th June 2004 confirmed that “neither interest nor credit care insurance” would be applied, but this did not turn out to be the case.

It now looks that the penalties incurred and accumulated could amount to £4K plus interest and so I've written to Blair, Oliver and Scott to confirm that we're suspending payments to them until the "charges" issue has been addressed to my satisfaction.

Questions:

1) Should I be asking for refunds payable to me, or offset against the outstanding loan, and

2) In the light of this should I be trying to re-negotiate a final settlement agreement for this loan? (And should I do this with the help of a lawyer under Scots Law?)

thanks!

Ian P of Edinburgh

I tell you what this bunch really are the biscuit. They are very professional don't shout, don't threaten at least in my case.

The trouble is they don't reply to anything in writing only phone calls which they make you ring. Incidentally www.saynoto0870.com have other 'phone numbers under the Bank of Scotland 'collections'.

What I would do as I have done is ask for the original agreement in the first case, they won't have it and neither will the files department in Chester. That allows you to stop making payments, that will then get their attention. Ring them up and ask the relevant questions regarding your position and ask them to put in writing. Keep a diray of the events. Obtain your credit history to ensure that they are not passing on your data to the original lender which is what they shouldn't. Threaten them with the Ic for non compliance, you'll soon get their attention.

Mike

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm just in the midst of gleaning Data Protection Act accounts from Scotland (pre-merger) and Halifax for 4 BoS accounts.

Lost my job a few years back and that's when the nightmare began because we could not sustain our loan repayments; so for a couple of years I've been repaying "Blair, Oliver, and Scott" on a monthly basis. Their letter dated 8th June 2004 confirmed that “neither interest nor credit care insurance” would be applied, but this did not turn out to be the case.

It now looks that the penalties incurred and accumulated could amount to £4K plus interest and so I've written to Blair, Oliver and Scott to confirm that we're suspending payments to them until the "charges" issue has been addressed to my satisfaction.

Questions:

Over £4K through 4 accounts -- Do I proceed claiming in £750 segments via Small Claims Court, or go for the lot at once? (As we're in receipt of Working Family Tax Credit I was exempted from Court fees for my continuing fight v The ShAbbey)

Should I be asking for refunds payable to me, or offset against the outstanding loan? Because of the loan I accept that I owe THEM (loan) and they owe ME (charges refund)"

and

In the light of this should I be trying to re-negotiate a final settlement agreement for this loan?

Would appreciate any help on these points before I proceed...

Ian P of Edinburgh

I'm currently collating Data Protection Act accounts from Scotland (pre-merger) and Halifax for 4 separate BoS accounts. They're holding out on one of these ("microfiche" and all that nonsense):mad: so I'm setting my "Evil Twin Brother" on them...

I lost my job a few years back and that's when the nightmare began because we could not sustain our loan repayments; so for a couple of years I've been repaying "Blair, Oliver, and Scott" on a monthly basis. Their letter dated 8th June 2004 confirmed that “neither interest nor credit care insurance” would be applied, but this did not turn out to be the case when I look at the repayments summary.

It now looks that the penalties incurred and accumulated could amount to £4K plus interest over the four accounts, and so I've written to Blair, Oliver and Scott to confirm that we're suspending payments to them until the "charges" issue has been addressed to my satisfaction.

Questions:

Over £4K through 4 accounts -- Do I proceed claiming in £750 segments via Small Claims Court, or go for the lot at once? (As we're in receipt of Working Family Tax Credit I was exempted from Court fees for my continuing fight v The ShAbbey). Of the three accounts for which I have data, two are under the £750 threshold but one looks like perhaps TWO claims via Summary (£2,445.00 total).

Should I be asking for refunds payable to me, or offset against the outstanding loan? Because of the loan I accept that I owe THEM (for the loan); however, they also owe ME (unfair charges refund).

and

In the light of this should I be trying to re-negotiate a final settlement agreement for this loan?

Would appreciate any help on these points before I proceed...

Ian P of Edinburgh

Wow, we've got a few things to look at here.

First, is one of the BOS accounts the Blair Oliver one, because this is a whole story in itself.

On the first loan you couldn't keep up repayments on, did you have payment protection, and shouldn't this have kicked in?

Secondly, if you weren't working then I think that if they did try to sell you credit care then it would be mis-selling,

If they have applied it, I expect you should be able to claim it all back too.

I would apply for each one separately through small claims. I think I would want it all back in cash/cheque to do with as I chose.

I think renegotiating the loan would come separate.

That doesn't seem very clear to me, hope it makes sense to you.

BoS:- D P A sent 09/06 Prelim. request 29/06 £1755 plus interest

1st claim Filed 5/10/06 SETTLED 19/10 £747.80 plus £534.31 interest

Hi GiveItBack and thanks for your response.

:)

Here goes:

First, is one of the BOS accounts the Blair Oliver one, because this is a whole story in itself.

>>

They took over 3 accounts from the Bank when we “crashed and burned”.

On the first loan you couldn't keep up repayments on, did you have payment protection, and shouldn't this have kicked in?

>>

My wife (Caroline) replies:

“When Ian lost his job, we had three months” grace” before starting to make repayment. We had hoped he would be employed by then. However, he wasn’t so BoS advised that we apply for the payment protection to kick in. I (Caroline) phoned the appropriate number and after a length discussion was told that my job (working with horses) was a seasonal job (like fairground workers) and therefore PP didn’t apply.”

GiveItBack – I’m beginning to think I should be seeking out a “no win, no fee” sort of lawyer like Digby Brown to help us out here – looks like (as most of us on CAG) we’ve rolled over and taken all the kicking before finally deciding “enough is enough”…

Anyone with (non-binding, of course) advice can call me on [edited for your safety]to talk it over in person – he / she will be rewarded with fine wine and dining chez nousonce the storm clouds have parted!

Although I wish I didn't have to be here (if you catch my drift), what better place is there to be when in such a fix, eh?

I only hope that i can be of as much help to others as others have been to me on these forums!

Ian P of Edinburgh

Personally wouldn't use no-win no fee as you can do it here and then donate 5% and feel good about it, instead of forking over a huge chunk.

If you told them of your job when you signed up for PPI, then I think you could argue it was missold and claim THAT back, but I think that's a bit of an extra and separate thing (It's newer to us). I'm assuming that it's taken out in both names?

Blair Oliver. So they're charging you for insurance even though you'll probably never be able to benefit? And they know this, so that's another potential mis-sell.

(Problem is many PPis are missold, getting anything back might nt be possible)

First step - let's get the charges back. You'll probably need to do each account separately, but if there are 2 that come in under 1500, bundle them. I'd also go for Summary Clauses as it's faster.

read throught the FAQs, and Scotia's advice

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/6165-scottish-procedure.html

PS. I wouldn't post your number on here - no matter how friendly we all are, anyone can read these.

Also, if that isn't a Scottish phone number, and you have an English address, then I'd look at claiming in England.

BoS:- D P A sent 09/06 Prelim. request 29/06 £1755 plus interest

1st claim Filed 5/10/06 SETTLED 19/10 £747.80 plus £534.31 interest

Good call! I have one at £713.38 and another at £403.22 -- you're recommending I "bundle" these as a summary claim, yes?

The third is £2,445.18 so I reckon that should be one claim of 1500 and a follow-up of 945.18.

We still await details of a 4th account -- they're over their 40 days so I'm complaining to the Information Commissioner.

HUGE thanks for the advice! :grin:

Ian P of Edinburgh

• 4 months later...

Just mailed a decree from my local Sheriff Court for £1,504.48 to BoS giving them 7 days to pay up! I went via summary procedure and enlisted the help of a Sheriff Officer. The above sum includes my expenses.

:p

Now I am pursuing another £2,445.18 plus interest and obviously I shall have to divide this into bite-size chunks in respect of Scots Law. I have to decide whether to go via Summary Procedure over 2 claims or 4 "Small Claims" of £750 max -- what would you recommend in terms of speed of execution, etc?

Thanks!

Ian P of Edinburgh

• 2 weeks later...

On 09 March I wrote to BoS (Recorded Delivery) with a copy of the Sheriff's Decree and asked them to settle £1504.98 with me by 16 March.

Nothing doing so I faxed them a reminder yesterday (21 March).

If there's nothing by tomorrow I'm thinking of either phoning them or turning up in person at their Rosyth office -- anyone ever tried that?

Should I give them until (say) Tuesday and then request my local Sheriff Officer to serve a charge on them?

Would appreciate guidance from anyone who's likewise been kept waiting with no acknowledgement.

Ian P of Edinburgh

On 09 March I wrote to BoS (Recorded Delivery) with a copy of the Sheriff's Decree and asked them to settle £1504.98 with me by 16 March.

Nothing doing so I faxed them a reminder yesterday (21 March).

If there's nothing by tomorrow I'm thinking of either phoning them or turning up in person at their Rosyth office -- anyone ever tried that?

Should I give them until (say) Tuesday and then request my local Sheriff Officer to serve a charge on them?

Would appreciate guidance from anyone who's likewise been kept waiting with no acknowledgement.

Might be best to try and ask this question in the 'Scotland' section.

If you have to go through with it, make sure you alert local and national media so they can capture this for posterity. :D

Nothing doing so I faxed them a reminder on 21 March.

Should I give them until (say) Tuesday and then request my local Sheriff Officer to serve a charge on them? Or even turn up at my local branch in person with local press in tow?

Ian P of Edinburgh

Hi Barobalti,

I do not know why you have waited so long, I would have given them an ultimatium that they have the money in my account by tomorrow morning or on Monday morning I would be in my local branch at 9.30 with the sheriff officers and the press. That should get them moving. I certainly would not have waited this long for my money. If you let them mess you about they will. When Lloyds solicitors put my money into my account after I got my decree, the bank still did not want to give me my money because my account was at collections because I owed them £500 and they tried to fob me off and tell me to come back on Monday when collections was opened. I said no that I was not leaving that bank until I got my money. I never got out that branch until 5.15 but I had my money with me. The last thing the banks want is the press turning up. Be firm and stand by your time scale. Monday morning and go into the bank with the sheriff officers.

lol Eileen

your in East lothian so get yourself along to musselburgh

Llewellyn & Co. Suite 2

47B Bridge Street

Musselburgh

EH21 6AA

Tel: 0131 665 5429Fax: 0131 665 7469

it will cost you £31.26 (this is added to the charge for payment) or there abouts to serve the decree(charge) on the bank. the sheriff officers will serve the decree on them and give them 14 day's to pay directly to you. you will receive your money near the end of the 2 weeks by cheque. trust me been there and done it. ;)

My local Sheriff Officer is serving a charge on BoS requiring them to honour a Sheriff's Decree for £1.5K plus.

Now, this account still appears to be "overdrawn" to the tune of £705.80 according to the statements they keep sending me and the monthly interest they keep adding on. Where do I stand in respect of this "overdraft"?

As I see it, the account would not be "overdrawn" had it not been for the illegal punitive charges they had kept piling on over the years. The account was sort of "recalled" when we got into deep doo-doo and our cheque books & cards taken back.

I'm sure some of us have been through a similar scenario, so I'd appreciate help on how to bring this to a happy conclusion.

:???:

Ian P of Edinburgh

8 threads merged, pls keep to 1 thread per claim, it helps keeping track of your progress.

I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

You're getting 1.5 k, £705 of that will wipe off the o/draft. If the debt is still outstanding, it's not money you actually paid out, so you can't just get it wiped out and still get 1.5k. Or am I missing something here? :confused: