Cornucopia V Hsbc

Cornucopia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6516 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, thank God for this site, found it through Motley Fool, will make a donation when I get paid!

I want to make a claim against HSBC (2 accounts, 1 joint, 1 my own, 2 credit cards, one husbands, one mine). I have banked with them for 19 years. In all fairness, they have been pretty good to me and were very sympathetic when I found myself a single parent. However, they have charged and charged and I want to get it back. We are currently quite heavily overdrawn on 1 account (over our limit although this should be rectified within a month). I also have claims to make against Tesco Personal Finance, MBNA, Halifax, Capital One and Goldfish. Talk about stressful!

My immediate worry is my relationship with HSBC (and the others, who were are heavily indebted to!). I am extremely worried that they will call in the overdrafts and credit cards which I could not pay back in any way shape or form, I would like to know if this has happened to anybody else? Do I just take the bull by the horns and go for it or shall I complete a claim against each bank one at a time to allow us some breathing space?

I must point out I have read the FAQ's and I found another post that had links this subject but the boards were closed. I hope I am not treading on anybody's toes!!!! The Motley Fool website made it sound very easy but it seems a lot more scary since I joined here!

Any advice or encouragement (or not!) will be much appreciated! Thank you! :)

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

You do need to be fully prepared before you make any claims - it is possible that you will have to take the bank to court to get your refunds.

Whether you take it one claim at a time or not is completely up to you, but the first thing you need to do is make the DPA request for each account. This will let you know what you are claiming, and from whom.

Also recommended is opening a parachute account, just in case the bank decides to get spiteful and closes your account. To my knowledge HSBC have not yet done this, but you cannot take the chance. Additionally, an overdraft can be called in at any time, so you do need to make contingency plans for this eventuality.

All that said, the process itself is reasonably straightforward - provided you put in the required effort and act with due dilligence. Start a different thread for each of your claims, and keep us posted on progress in each one. You will also find that it is easier for people to answer your questions if they know which claim you are referring to.

Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi,

You do need to be fully prepared before you make any claims - it is possible that you will have to take the bank to court to get your refunds.

Whether you take it one claim at a time or not is completely up to you, but the first thing you need to do is make the DPA request for each account. This will let you know what you are claiming, and from whom.

Also recommended is opening a parachute account, just in case the bank decides to get spiteful and closes your account. To my knowledge HSBC have not yet done this, but you cannot take the chance. Additionally, an overdraft can be called in at any time, so you do need to make contingency plans for this eventuality.

All that said, the process itself is reasonably straightforward - provided you put in the required effort and act with due dilligence. Start a different thread for each of your claims, and keep us posted on progress in each one. You will also find that it is easier for people to answer your questions if they know which claim you are referring to.

Good luck.

Thank you very much and of course, I will keep you posted. I will start new threads for the other claims! How VERY scary!!! My main worry is if they all called in the borrowing, we would go bankrupt so I have keep my fingers crossed that this will not happen!

Thanks again! :-)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

If you think it is scary, it may be better to proceed with one claim first. Once you become familiar with the process and timetable, you will wonder what it was that you were scared of...

Yes, there is always a possibility that ODs will be called in, but as I say, I am not aware of this happening as a result of people making lawfully justifiable claims. The subject has been covered elsewhere, so if the situation does arise, we can put you in the right threads for further information.

;)

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think it is scary, it may be better to proceed with one claim first. Once you become familiar with the process and timetable, you will wonder what it was that you were scared of...

Yes, there is always a possibility that ODs will be called in, but as I say, I am not aware of this happening as a result of people making lawfully justifiable claims. The subject has been covered elsewhere, so if the situation does arise, we can put you in the right threads for further information.

;)

Thank you Spiceskull!

Right, which one first I wonder???? Will have a think on that.........:wink:

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Hi

I would like to request statements from HSBC, I suspect I've paid hundreds in charges over the past 10 years.

Can you advise me as to where I find the standard letter to send?

Many thanks

Bev

Thank you Spiceskull!

Right, which one first I wonder???? Will have a think on that.........:wink:

I don't know if this will be useful for anybody else, but I have just had a chat with my Dad who works in the Financial Services Industry (has done for 30-odd years) and has a pathological hatred of banks and he feels that this is an extremely worthwhile exercise to go through, despite the yet untested worry about the banks calling in debts. His answer was that if they decide to call in out of spite, you simply tell them you are going to the press as it appears to you that they are blackmailing you when you are making a lawful claim against their unlawful practice. He feels that no bank would want that sort of publicity and are unlikely to court it! So, I think that has made me feel a little more confident :-|

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Hi

I would like to request statements from HSBC, I suspect I've paid hundreds in charges over the past 10 years.

Can you advise me as to where I find the standard letter to send?

Many thanks

Bev

Have a look under templates, I think you will find that on the home page, please correct me if I am wrong, anybody who knows better! Also best to start your own thread as your replies will get mixed in with mine! Hope this helps! :)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Have a look under templates, I think you will find that on the home page, please correct me if I am wrong, anybody who knows better! Also best to start your own thread as your replies will get mixed in with mine! Hope this helps! :)
See...not so scary after all...show 'em who's boss!

His answer was that if they decide to call in out of spite, you simply tell them you are going to the press as it appears to you that they are blackmailing you when you are making a lawful claim against their unlawful practice. He feels that no bank would want that sort of publicity and are unlikely to court it!
There are a few threads dealing with this - the OFT takes a dim view of spiteful retaliation when the customer is acting lawfully. However, banks don't really pay much heed to the OFT unless the OFT is kicking very hard...and this is what we want the OFT to do...

There are a few threads dealing with this - the OFT takes a dim view of spiteful retaliation when the customer is acting lawfully. However, banks don't really pay much heed to the OFT unless the OFT is kicking very hard...and this is what we want the OFT to do...

I see! Could you give me a link to the appropriate thread and I will post same on there? Don't you think that if they suddenly started calling in everybodies debts, everything would just collapse? They would get nothing because of mass bankruptcies and IVA's etc etc, surely it is more cost effective in the long run for them to pay back the charges they have pinched! I would love to see them try and get anything out of me, I have nothing to give!

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Don't need to post a new thread - this is part of your claim diary. If the bank does get awkward it is better to deal with it at that time.

What the bank wants more than anything is for you to get worried, and hopefully drop your claim. You need to stay confident and focused, so one step at a time...where YOU are in control.

Don't need to post a new thread - this is part of your claim diary. If the bank does get awkward it is better to deal with it at that time.

What the bank wants more than anything is for you to get worried, and hopefully drop your claim. You need to stay confident and focused, so one step at a time...where YOU are in control.

You're right, I know. Have decided to start with the Halifax, they are the less scary option at the moment, as soon as I have got organised, I will start a thread on the appropriate board! Thanks for everything! :)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Hello, this is my thread for my HSBC claim!

I have today discovered that HSBC have charged me £1,378.00, spread over two accounts.

Straight to LBA for me!!!!

Wish me luck! :-)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

I take it you have done your Prelim already?

I beg your pardon, I meant Preliminary letter. Will be posting that tomorrow!

Sorry, got all excited and ahead of myself! Thank you for the reminder!!!

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

:D No worries.... just checking :p

I am slightly confused here, have been through FAQ's but I think I have brain damage from all the letter writing. I am just putting together my preliminary approach for payment letter and I have been floored by the bit about overdraft interest. Every month they charge me interest on the overdraft, I thought this was not reclaimable? Does this mean I have to trawl back over the six years of statements again?:eek:

I understand the 8% you add when you are going to court but could somebody clarify this question for me.

Sorry for being a dope!

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Take a look at my very detailed thread here.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=57866#post57866

It will explain everything :D

It certainly does! Thank you very much Tinkerbelle!

I think I won't bother actually, we had an arranged facility but this has chopped and changed and it will be very difficult for me to work it all out, I think I'll just hope it gets (nearly) to court and I can stick on 8%!

Thanks so much for your help! :)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Sorry to hijac your thread but i was haveing the same confusion over this interest bit.... so many thanks for your help tinkerbelle!....

as i have an arranged overdraft which limits have changed too, it would make it nearly impossible to come up with realistic figure!

but at least i can get my letter in the post now :)

Right, I've done it, sent off my prelim letter, they have 14 days to respond...........am excited and scared at the same time.:grin::eek:

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

am excited and scared at the same time
Be the former, never the latter. Good luck.

Be the former, never the latter. Good luck.

Thank you!! :grin:

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6516 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks