Not sure if this should be in banking or consumer...

Bookworm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had a furious sister in law on the phone just now. This is what happened:

She went to the shop to get gas and electric on the keys. There is a Link machine there, but as they charge £1.75, she paid by chip and pin instead. The guy then said there would be a £1.50 charge for that. She was horrified. Then she said ok, but she wanted a receipt to show that she had paid £1.50 charge. The guy refused.

Questions:

Is it legal for the shop to charge for a chip & pin transaction? If not, who should she complain to? Surely, the very fact they wouldn't give her a receipt indicates how dodgy the whole thing is?

Was it a credit or debit card?

I know they can charge for credit cards, and for any card if the transaction is less than £5

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

I know that some shops have a 'minimum spend' for non-cash transactions, and the average is about £10. If your sis-in-law spent below this limit, then the charge covers the admin/card agent cost for the shop in question.

They are probably only making pennies on the transaction, so I would imagine there is no mileage in contesting the charge.

However, the receipt should definitely be given - supposing she got home and the key hadn't charged up? I am sure that all 'agents' are required to provide a receipt - they certainly do when I top up my mobile...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Was the charge for using the card or for getting the gas/electric on the keys. I know that if I pay my bills at a shop then they charge £1.50.

There's no excuse for not giving your sister-in-law a receipt though.

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

Guest Lueeze

if its a key meter they should be charging tho!

I checked the chip and pin site, and no where on the bussiness page does it mention chargeing the consumer...

:o we have never been charged when using chip & pin to charge our electric key!

but she wanted a receipt to show that she had paid £1.50 charge. The guy refused
I would say very dodgy!!

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

She should write to the manager of the shop and ask why she was charged. I have NEVER been charged for paying for electric key using chip and pin, or any other way, EVER...

If she writes, he will have to respond and it will be interesting to hear what the manager has to say about this...

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

Thanks for all the responses. I think we all agree there's something not right here. Incidentally, she confirmed that when paying cash, she doesn't get additional charges for topping-up her key, so it's definitely a card issue rather than a bill payment issue, if you know what I mean.

So, who does she complain to? Her own bank? The police? Tricky, innit?

Sorry, bovvered, we posted at the same time!

Thing is, while she was there, she insisted the staff calls the manager on the phone, which he did, twice, and the manager confirmed the charge.

Guest Lueeze

But if she swiped the card before chip and pin started I BET she wouldnt have had to pay a sausage!!! Some shops have to pay for their chip systems, and I wonder if its an underhanded way of clawing back their outlay??

Both myself and my partner have card machines in our businesses, the fees are automatically deducted by the card machine supplier (streamline in my case) an are either proportionate or percentage. Usually a credit card is a percentage of the total sale 1% for example whereas a switch or other debit card is 50p per transaction. This is why in convenience stores there is a minumum charge on a card sale as thier margings on groceries is so low.

If the bill was under £5 then a shop may charge you a fee to make it to the minimum BUT THEY WOULD HAVE TO SHOW THIS ON A RECIEPT. The machine only knows the amount to take the commission is done by streamline on a monthly basis.

It sounds like hes screwing you / your sister.

Bank Claim Result

NatWest £2051 UnGagged myself. They paid up in full:D

Barclays £641.81 Settled in full.:D

MBNA AOL £390 account credited

MBNA Card £880 account credited

MBNA Loan £115 LBA 03/07

I woudl say that this possibly constitutes fraud which would mean contacting the police.

I would call them (record it if possible) and ask for a justification of the charge. If they give a reason, it's probably unlawful and if they don't then ask them to stop charging for nothing.

If they were able to charge for C&P transactions everywhere would do it.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks