• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Can you force a court case?

indebtstudent
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I noticed a little while ago that when the banks pay out they do so for "commercial reasons". Some even state that they believe your case would fail in court.

What I wanted to know is could some brave soul use this to force a court case? Or would the court take a dim view of the fact that you had turned down full payment?

In case you can't see where I'm coming from I'll explain a little more. You all know the sneaky tactic where banks offer a half of the amoutn owed in full and final settlement and set conditions. Most people then cross out the conditions and state they would be happy to accept the amount as part payment. They then tend to withdraw the offer.

In the above situation you're saying I'm sorry I know you owe me the full amount and will not accept less. It is a difference only of degree when we say thanks for the payment. In so doing are we in some way endorsing the comments that come with it?

How would you stand, legally, if you said no thank you I want my day in court the point is you are acting unlawfully...

Thoughts?

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

If they offer full settlement, the court would not only take a dim view, they would likely award the othersides entire costs against you regardless of the track. Once you have the money, you must withdraw.

Please Click The Scales if I have been of help to you.

Kensington Mortgages withdrawn. no costs

NatWest Settled in full

Abbey Court Settled in Full

Capital 1 settled in full

Halifax settled in full :D

yep because if the settlement is offered and you refuse to accept it, that can be brought before the judge who will not only strike the case out but award costs against you. You are not the only one who has asked but it is unwise to continue if you have a settlement.

I was just wondering in general. I'm guessing the banks know this and that's why they work the system?

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Exactly. I,m of the opinion they are just playing a numbers game. ie the longer they drag the process out, the more people will drop out the game.

Please Click The Scales if I have been of help to you.

Kensington Mortgages withdrawn. no costs

NatWest Settled in full

Abbey Court Settled in Full

Capital 1 settled in full

Halifax settled in full :D

• 1 month later...

The Civil Courts work to a set of guidelines called the "Civil Procedure Rules" and insist that all parties comply with them to the best of their ability.

The whole point of these Rules is to make best use of Court's time and resources,, there is also something called the "overriding objective" which basically means keep it out of the Courtroom if at all possible. As such, were you to receive an offer to settle your claim and refuse it, you would in all likelihood win your case but have all costs of all parties awarded against you.

Having said that, some Judges are getting a wee bit tired of the banks settling at the Court doors and would like to see a case or two be heard to conclusion. If you are feeling really brave and would take the risk of losing some £40 thousand, be my guest. Personally, I'll hold on knowing full well that the bank won't go anywhere near the Courtroom because to do so would completely open the floodgates and probably cause some of them to go bust.

You can force a court case if you sue for a declaration.

Automatic multitrack and big costs risk if you lose.

I think that the Whistleblower evidence against the Yorkshire and Clydesdale banks is strong enough to warrant going for a declaration.

It needs someone with an account with them to bring the case.

There are a few plots afoot which may make it even stronger before too long.

If you are from the Yorkshire Bank then tell your bosses to be very afraid.

At the end of the day, what we need is to get a case into Court and prove the caselaw,, should anyone be willing to fund me, I'll take my case with Halifax to conclusion! Not sure whether the Judges down here would thank me for multitracking a £1300 claim. Our local Magistrates Court have only just realised that they cannot send people to Australia for theft and the County Court think Lord Denning is still working!!

Mind you, working as I do in probate (wills), I find that my clients tend not to revert to litigation! Still, if i can help, more than willing to do so.

Well I for one wo'nt be accepting any settlement under the guise of an offer of good will. An offer made conditionaly where the defendant still maintains the charges were lawful and fair I find patronising and demeaning and on that basis alone unacceptable. It also leaves the door open for the banks to continue lining their pockets by rifling my account unlawfuly at my expense - when the privllege of their position is founded

on trust and honesty.

And besides, my claim is for the return of charges and thats what I intend to get. If I wanted a goodwill gesture I'd talk to a charity.

If the judge in my case dos'nt want to grasp the oportunity to put an end to wasting the vast amounts of time he, his peers, court staff and claiments consume in this futile and never ending game of legal brinkmanship then so be it. And if it does go sour and end up costing me tens of thousands in costs, fortunately, I can afford it and at least I'll sleep soundly in the knowledge that I tried.

Best of luck crfx250, not that you should need it.

Your comment is exactly what I'm getting at they say goodwill gesture, or that they're paying out because of what it would cost them to defend but we can be reaonably certain that's tripe.

Best of luck crfx250, not that you should need it.

Your comment is exactly what I'm getting at they say goodwill gesture, or that they're paying out because of what it would cost them to defend but we can be reaonably certain that's tripe.

Yes we can - because were that the case, they would pay up at LBA stage and only have to pay charges. As it is, they employ Lawyers to take the case right to the brink; which as noted costs tens of thousands of pounds. Further to that they have to pay interest and Claimant's court fees too.

However; unless you *can* afford the costs of tens of thousands of pounds, (tipping hat respectfully to cruffix250) DO NOT under ANY circumstances turn down a "full" offer.

You MUST attempt to keep the case out of the courtroom; and an extremely dim view will be taken if you don't.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears the answer is yes, if you're braver than most people can imagine!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/80364-will-one-watch-2.html

I respect the hell out this guy and I must admit that this whole campaign had already rekindled my faith in the law. It is not the fault of the law that consumers were unaware of the rights and protections that have been built into the system , ( would fault the law makers). Anyhow this little crusade, as I've said, goes far beyond what would be expected of the ordinary person. Hats off to this fellow and I sincerly hope he wins, either way he is doing a very noble thing. Besides if costs are awared I'll be the first to make a donation.

This chap's actions have restored my faith in people in general. Seems we're not all out for ourselves as some economists maintain.

A step in the right direction though surely? and very brave of the chap in question?

BTW this is off topic but does anybody know the payment details for Virgin Media? I need to send a payment online and can't understand the flipping bill. Very embarrasisng given my employment!!!

I still think the case will be about damages not the actual cost to the bank.

Yes I think the csae is about damages but if successfull or possibly not

it may involve disclosure which is the crucial thing.

I think the whole problem is that the banks are not effectively regulated

and the banking code is non-enforcible, voluntary and vague.

It seems to me that tv game shows are more heavily regulated than the banking industry.

I agree he is brave and, win or lose, deserves a medal for trying.

Good luck crfx250 and keep us posted as to your progress.

Gimee! Gimee! Gimee! ma cash after midnight!