flopper vs hfc

flopper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there,

i took a loan out with hfc (beneficial) around 2002 and recieved a credit card also. i lost my job around 2004 and got into arrears with both. They then re-structured both accounts into 1 account. I know i have been charged numerous times for late payments etc. I was just wondering what i should do as in the beginning i had 2 acc's now i only have 1, do i send £10 and a sar for all 3 acc's or £10 for each? As i have been charged on all 3

Thanks

Current Progress

Halifax current account - On Hold

Halifax visa - Won, settled in full 6/08

Capital One - Won settled nearly in full 5/08

HFC (Beneficial Finance) - DCA letter recieved 3/4/09 after 17 months of silence and being told account was paidoff Dec 07!!!. 1 phonecall and i recieved and offer of double what my claim was, waiting for cheque as of 16-4-09

Woolwich - Settled in full 17-5-07

I have just started my claim with HFC more or less same scenario as yours. Restructured account also included credit card and made it one new loan. I sent £10 and quoted 2 account numbers both now closed.Hope this is helpful

Thanks,

I am going to phone them up tomorro and get all 3 account numbers just to be on the safe side. As i dont know any of them i may as well get all 3.

Thanks again

Current Progress

HFC (Beneficial Finance) - DCA letter recieved 3/4/09 after 17 months of silence and being told account was paidoff Dec 07!!!. 1 phonecall and i recieved and offer of double what my claim was, waiting for cheque as of 16-4-09

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi,

i have not sent a SAR as yet, waiting for payday on friday. I have managed to get my old loan account number, credit card number plus i have my new re-structured loan number. I intend to put all 3 on the SAR as i think that they would try and hold back info if i didn't. I put this one on the backburner while i started two other claims as i had to wait for the acc numbers.

Will keep you posted

Flopper

Current Progress

• 3 weeks later...

Still not got on the ball yet, but im definately going to get it sent this friday. A quick question, from reading other threads on hfc they have asked for id to be supplied when submitting a SAR, is this needed? (didn't need it for my halifax statements). Should i just send it anyway.

Flopper

Current Progress

Still not got on the ball yet, but im definately going to get it sent this friday. A quick question, from reading other threads on hfc they have asked for id to be supplied when submitting a SAR, is this needed? (didn't need it for my halifax statements). Should i just send it anyway.

Flopper

I don't think any need for ID if you supply them with Address, acount number etc etc

Just hate every DCA out there

They requested same from me even though they communicate with me at my address, I sent copy of my passport so as to not give them too many stumbling blocks to fall on. I followed up with a phone call to find out where my statements/data were as its nearing their 40 days, I'm hoping to receive later this week. I am awaiting details of 2 accounts plus credit card.Will keep posting on progress.

Flopper

Hi Flopper

When giving out sensitive personal information, banks need to be certain who they are giving it to. There is no hard and fast rules on how they do that, but I think HFC are being extra cautious. I used to work there some time ago and when I left, they didn't have any facilities to even check if a passport was genuine, but ID theft etc is a different matter entirely.

If I were you, I would send a copy of your passport "for their records" as this should help speed the process up. I believe they try to buy themselves some time by writing back to you to request your passport or some other form of ID.

Crazy thing is, they don't need your ID everytime they send you your bank statements, settlement letters or a letter stating your account is in arrears and they are charging you for the pleasure....!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice scooby,

SAR will be sent this week, it was difficult to get access to a scanner and printer. I am going to enclose a copy of my passport, drivers licence and details of my previous addresses, that should be enough.

A question, as i said above my account was origionally a loan, then it was combined with my beneficial credit card to give the loan i pay now, in the process of re-structuring they told me they had written off a part of the debt. I dont know how much (il have to wait till i get my statements) but would i have to remove any written off monies from the amount i would be claiming. Just asking as i estamate just from charges from my c/c i could settle the amount i owe. Also the amount that i have been told i owe, does this include all those £15 late charges on the loan or do they get added at the end?

Any advice would be apreciated

Flopper

Current Progress

Thanks for the advice scooby,

SAR will be sent this week, it was difficult to get access to a scanner and printer. I am going to enclose a copy of my passport, drivers licence and details of my previous addresses, that should be enough.

A question, as i said above my account was origionally a loan, then it was combined with my beneficial credit card to give the loan i pay now, in the process of re-structuring they told me they had written off a part of the debt. I dont know how much (il have to wait till i get my statements) but would i have to remove any written off monies from the amount i would be claiming. Just asking as i estamate just from charges from my c/c i could settle the amount i owe. Also the amount that i have been told i owe, does this include all those £15 late charges on the loan or do they get added at the end?

Any advice would be apreciated

Flopper

Hi flopper

I would doubt very much that you would have to offset your claim against the "written off" amount unless there is some contractual thing in place that allows them to reclaim written off amounts. Last I knew, HFC don't do anything like that.

When you re-structured your account, I assume you signed a new contract. If they agreed to waive some of the monies that you owed them, that's their choice and they can't go back on it unless it's in the new contract.

If you have asked for a closing balance (or settlement figure), then this would include any and all late fees, admin charges etc. If you've just asked for a balance, this may not include late fees. The difference betweent he closing balance and current balance is the closing balance will include any additional fees and also any rebates on interest and insurance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info scooby,

i see your like me, up till the wee hours on the computer.

Your info does clear up why i previously have had different amounts quoted to me in the past.

Thanks again

Flopper

Current Progress

Thanks for the info scooby,

i see your like me, up till the wee hours on the computer.

Your info does clear up why i previously have had different amounts quoted to me in the past.

Thanks again

Flopper

It's only because I'm on annual leave this week :D

I mentioned on another thread - I have this habit of checking emails before switching the pc off and when I see emails from the CAG website, I just can't help myself!! Sad, but true :rolleyes:

Hi all,

At long last, SAR sent today they have till 26th May.

Flopper

Current Progress

A question,

i was having a look at the PPI fourm and i thought that you could answer a question for me scooby. When i took my loan out in 2002 i was told that i had to take out either gold, silver or bronze insurance, i took bronze. Of course they loaded it on and i was paying interest on it. Could you tell me if this was common practice at HFC and could i claim it back? I never claimed on my insurance or even tried to at anytime as when i lost my job it was due to my own fault and i was never off sick.

Flopper

Current Progress

A question,

i was having a look at the PPI fourm and i thought that you could answer a question for me scooby. When i took my loan out in 2002 i was told that i had to take out either gold, silver or bronze insurance, i took bronze. Of course they loaded it on and i was paying interest on it. Could you tell me if this was common practice at HFC and could i claim it back? I never claimed on my insurance or even tried to at anytime as when i lost my job it was due to my own fault and i was never off sick.

Flopper

If I remember rightly, they had Platinum, Gold and Silver cover, but these were for an Accident Cover policy. It's what's known as "specialty" insurance.

It's still a general insurance policy and the premium will have been financed by your loan and of course, interest charged on top. This policy would pay out to you in the event of a serious or disabling accident (loss of sight, limb, hearing etc). PPI on the other hand covers your loan repayments when you're off work (usually for more than 14 consecutive days).

Whether it was PPI or Specialty insurance, they are ALL optional and not a condition of the loan.

It was a fairly common practice in Household Bank and Beneficial Finance to tell customers it was compulsory. If you saw the Whistleblower programme about Barclays' selling techniques, well that's just like HFC. Obviously, these are just my opinions based on my experiences whilst working there.

Claiming back the PPI is different from claiming back bank charges. I've seen other people in other threads state that it's just the same, but it's not. Charges are being contested on the grounds of the legality of the charge. PPI is being contested on the grounds that it was miss-sold.

In order to start the ball rolling, your SAR should detail how they established that the policy was suitable for your needs. You cannot sell a policy to a customer unless you have established that they have a need for it and that they have no other cover or funds they could use.

There have been a lot of high profile cases recently of big companies failing to treat customers fairly when selling PPI. Capital One is a prime example - FSA fines Capital One for PPI sales failures

First off, I would make a formal complaint to the bank about it's sales practices and that you were told it was optional and you've only recently found out that it wasn't. They will bat it off and say you signed for it, blah blah blah. But don't give up - you can then take the complaint to the 2nd stage where it is reviewed by a senior manager. They will try to bat you off again but when you write back to say you are still dissatisfied, they will then need to issue you with a final response. At this stage, they will make the decision whether to risk losing the case with the Financial Ombudsman Service or just pay up.

You can only take your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service once they have issued a final response, or if they have failed to resolve the complaint to your satisfaction within 8 weeks of it being received by them. The FOS is a free and impartial service and any decision from them in binding upon the bank.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Statements recieved for my 2 loan accounts today, they are not much use as i really am looking for my credit-card statements because that i where they have charged me most. I will phone tomorrow to see if they are on their way.

Flopper

Current Progress

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

long time since i looked at this, i got to lba stage and they basically told me no so i left it. HFC have not contacted me in any way for about a year, even though i owe them money (which works out around the same as they owe me). I think my last letter to them said that i wanted the debt cancelled due to the monies owed cancelled each other out and that if this was done i would not persue any PPI claims. Anyone have any advice as its not like HFC not to call and send numerous letters.

Current Progress

Hi flopper

Don't rely on them having forgotten about the debt - they are most likely swamped and are chasing the bigger balance customers first. They will eventually get around to you, or sell the debt on to a debt collection agency to chase on your behalf.

Personally, I'd pursue the matter until you get what you want.

You may or may not be aware that HFC was fined over £1m for it's failures in selling PPI...

BBC NEWS | Business | HFC Bank fined £1m over insurance

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

A long time since i have been on, but........ just recieved a letter from a DCA about this account nearly 2 years after my last contact with HFC. After my last post i called HFC and the lady on the phone told me my accounts were all closed the main one is classed as payoff in Dec 2007 and i was told it was closed. I thought that was me all sorted out untill the letter yesterday...... several calls later and HFC have managed to tell me that the debt has been passed on and cannot tell me why i have had no contact for all this time. They gave me the number for their litigation department which is only open 8-5 mon-fri. I also called the DCA and informed them and told them i will keep them up to date.

So what should i do? Call up the litigation dept or write to the CEO, executive complaints, litigation Dept etc. All i want is my debt cleared or i claim for my Credit Card charges (£1200) and claim mis-sold PPI (bronze cover on a 5K loan (Told i had to take one of their policies or no loan) which i think cost me £1073.92 plus interest, dont have a clue how much!!!) , my debt is only around £1200 and i really just want it outta the way because it is my last debt and its annoying when you think your debt free only for it to surface again). Problem is my original loan date is feb 2003 which is now over 6 years old so can i still claim for my PPI?

Hope someone can give some advice

Current Progress

Hi flopper

You can still make a complaint regarding the mis-sold PPI. There's no time limit as far as I am aware. Note in my last post that HFC were fined over £1m by the FSA for PPI mis-selling - any complaint about PPI mis-selling prior to the fine is more or less a done deal.

As for the debt, I would ask for them to provide a copy of the legal agreement - did you get these with your subject access request?

Thanks scooby,

I never recieved any copies of the legal agreements but i will ask for them when i call tomorrow. I will keep you posted on what they say tomorrow.

Current Progress

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

ok, i called the litigation department and they were not helpful at all, they actually did not have a clue what was going on and could only say to contact the DCA as they have all my documents. After the call i looked at the old documents that i had from my claim in 2007 and decided to call a lady who was dealing with my case in 2007. The number got me through to her but she no longer deals with cc refund claims and wondered how i got her number, she listened to my query and was very helpful. She said she would re-open my old claim and get one of her staff to re-investigate it. Today i recieved a letter, looked like the usual go away were not interested one, i read through it till at the bottom it offered me DOUBLE what i origionally asked for. The acceptance letter will be in the post tomorrow and i will reply back when i get my cheque. Many thanks for all your help.

Current Progress