Im starting my claim today - ex Nationwide employee

insomniac
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, this is my first post and I must congratulate everyone for making this a fantastic forum with superb information.

I am today sending the request for letter and DPA fee etc,

From my online banking which goes back to May 2005 I can see that i have incurred £237 in charges for unpaid direct debits and unpaid cheques etc.

I worked for Nationwide from February 2001 to October 2003 and opened my Flex account around April 2001.

I can't even to begin to think of how much in charges I have lost between then and May 05, its almost 4 full years but I would estimate my claim will be over £500 and im not going to bother with claiming the 8% interest on top, as I feel that just getting the charges back would be enough justice.

Whilst working there it often annoyed me when customers would come in with lots of charges for bounced direct debits and taking their accounts overdrawn resulting in more charges, I myself had to put up with their complaints and in truth I sympathised with them, if only I knew then what I have learned from this site I would have told every customer to challenge them.

Anyway, I will keep posting on this thread to let you know how I get on.

Dean

• Confused 1

Nationwide:

DPA Letter sent 10th May, Received 1st June, calculated approx £330 charges, Prelim to sent soon.

Egg

£60 Charges - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, declined refund,

Halifax

£39 Charge - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, Halifax have agreed to refund the £39

but I would estimate my claim will be over £500 and im not going to bother with claiming the 8% interest on top, as I feel that just getting the charges back would be enough justice.

Hi Dean

All the best with your claim, however just a thought for you. If you had borrowed £500 from your bank, they would have charged you around 16% interest.

Worth thinking about.

I have been thinking about the reply I am going to get from Nationwide once I send my Preliminery letter.

I am certain they will reply with the standard:

"Thank you for your letter of .... , about charges incurred on your FlexAccount.

Feedback from our members is absolutely invaluable, so we appreciate the time you've taken to get in touch with us about this issues, and we're grateful for the opportunity to explain the rationale behind our charging policy.

As you know if we allow items to be paid and it means you exceed your agreed overdraft or we have to return an item unpaid on your account then we will make a charge in accordance with the terms and conditions. Details of our tariffs are contained without our "FlexAccount Interest Rates and Charges" leaflet, freely available in branches and provided when opening an account and agreed to by yourself when you sign in acceptance of these terms when signing the application forms.

Nationwide belives it is open and transparent about charges and members are pre-notified prior to charges being debited via their monthly statements. If, at any time, we make changes to the tariff, account holders are always informed.

I hope that this has helped to clarify our position and you will appreciate why I am unable to refund any charges on your account. If you would like any further help, please contact me directly at the address at the top o the page or by telephoning me on 01793 xxxxxx.

I must make you aware The Nationwide Group uses the Financial Services Authority rules when dealing with customers' complaints. I've enclosed a leaflet that explains our Internal Complaints Procedure should you not be happy with my reply."

Therefore I was thinking of sending a modified version to save time, something along the lines of "I would like to have all the charges refunded on my account, if this cannot be done instead of sending me a standard letter, please now refer to my 2nd letter which indicates which my next line of action will entail"

The 2nd letter will be the LBA that would be enclosed within thus saving time waiting for the in-between reply.

What do you think, and as anyone tried this approach or maybe just sent the LBA without any Preliminery letter?

Nationwide:

DPA Letter sent 10th May, Received 1st June, calculated approx £330 charges, Prelim to sent soon.

Egg

Halifax

Right, the DPA letter has gone in the post and they should get it today, I also sent a copy via online banking in the hope I might get the info quicker.

I have been thinking of what I will do if they start being funny and asking for my overdraft to be paid back etc, so if this does happen then heres my plan.

Once I have added up the total of what they owe me, I will transfer all my money over to a new current account but leave the account overdrawn my the amount they owe me. I am expecting that the charges will be around £500 so I will leave my account overdrawn by £500 and say that when they settle the claim the can clear the overdraft themselves with the money im owed.

Any interest that is added to the overdraft will be down to them also as "no real debt" exists.

Lastly can someone just confirm that whatever costs I have to pay to moneyclaim.gov.uk will be reimburssed in the settlement from Nationwide if I make a claim.

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

Sorry one last thing.

I also have some charges on my Nationwide Credit Card, should these be claimed at the time as the Bank charges and details provided?

Or does a seperate claim need to be filed to Nationwide CC.

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

Guest Lueeze

You should have done the CC and Bank acc all in 1 DPA, with 1 cheque. They can be claimed together AFIK!

I would send the prelim and LBA as we suggest here, as you will have a stronger case, I know it is extra waiting but Its worth it in the end!

Lou x

• 2 weeks later...

I received the letter stating they have received by DPA Request and they have even cashed the £10 cheque I sent, even though I have read on here that they don't charge for it and people have had it returned to them.

Anyway I don't really care that much about the £10 fee, but I have been waiting for over a week since the letter and nothings arrived yet.

I guess they are getting busy with all these complaints and court cases coming through :-D

Im getting impatient but I can't send my preliminary letter untill I know just how much they owe me. :evil:

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

I have a quick question that hopefully someone can help with,

I sent off the DPA Letter, Nationwide cashed my cheque, it cleared from my account on 17th May and although I received the standard reply from Gary Perkins staying my request has been received, I still havent got the information.

What happens if Nationwide to do not get the information to me within the 40 days allowed? :confused:

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

Guest Lueeze

well you have a long wait yet, so Im sure by then you would have.

If you dont then its either going to court to force them, or reporting to the Information commisioner...

Lou x

Ok, thanks.

More waiting......... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

Getting bored now, it doesn't take that long to print off some statements!

I really hope that they owe me thousands!

In truth its probably around £500 but I have no idea.

Looking forward to having my accounts closed and i'll be looking forward to laughing at them.

I bet they won't try to close my Loan though, maybe they'll write it off?

Heres hoping.

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

• 2 months later...

Got my statements back in a nice binder,

Total amount owed just shy of £400.

Sent Prelim bout 4 weeks ago, and I admit i've been slacking with deadlines, but my LBA would have got to them yesterday (27th July)

Which means I will be filing the money claim on 10th August should they not pay up.

I have had replies from them saying they have up to 8 weeks to investigate etc, that I have just laughed at. They seem to keep mentioning the Financial Ombudsman but if they realised I am not making a complaint, I am just asking for my money back.

Just wanted to ask if people are still getting joy with Nationwide, and does Charles Bacon ever reply to emails? I get read reports but no reply.

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

Good luck - we're all getting joy with Nationwide :) One of the easiest IMO at the moment. I have had one reply off Mr Bacon but I expect he is a very busy man :lol:

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Thanks Dolly,

I can't wait to FRY Mr Charles, and soon i'll be bringing home the BACON.

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

• 2 weeks later...

Have just completed my MoneyClaim online, paid the £50 fee, so now Nationwide owe me £410.50 in charges, £35.29 in interest and £50 in court fees.

I know I said I would be filing it on 10th August, but i was getting bored, I have give Nationwide plenty of time anyway(more than the 28 days) and there not going to refund me, so its time for the showdown.

Anyone know how long it should be before I get my money now?

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

Just checked MoneyClaim:

My Claim has been issued, says the defendent has 14 days to respond.

It also as another option to "default" or something else, whats this mean? and should I be doing anything with it?

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

• 3 weeks later...

MoneyClaim now shows that Nationwide have acknowlegded the claim as of 16th August, and that they have 28 days from the intial date to file a defence or pay up. The intial date was 8th August, so that gives them to 5th September.

Can someone just confirm I am fine to wait until that date, because I did receive a letter from MoneyClaim with Charles Bacons name on it.

Im pretty sure the note states that they intend to the defend the claim, but from what I gather thats standard practice for them.

Just wondering when i'll get my money now?

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

Hi there, I'm in a similar position, though a bit behind. My Moneyclaim went to NW on 17th August, and they acknowledged it on 22nd. It seems to be standard for Nationwide to acknowledge the claim and say they're going to defend it, but then they don't. I'm sure Dolly would tell you to keep checking your bank account, as you should get your money back any day now :)

*fingers crossed for both of us*

Nationwide: £2443. Settled in full

Co-operative Bank Visa: £351. Settled in full.

MBNA Visa: £476. Settled in full.

AA Account with Capital Bank: £80. Settled in full.

Capital One Visa: £160. Settled in full.

Paragon Personal Finance: £120 fees SETTLED ERC claim withdrawn Feb 07.

Kensington Mortgages: Claim withdrawn Feb 07.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Nationwide:

Egg

Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks