UKPC parking invoice - tesco Faraday retail park,Coatbank Street, Coatbridge. ML5 3SQ scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4805 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you can an upload the paperwork (washed of personal info)? It would be a useful paper trail for others to see what to expect from them!

No problem Buz, I'll do todays later or tomorrow & any subsequent correspondence as I receive it.

Cheers

Booster

because he held the opinion that it was obvious that the terms fine and charge mean the same thing and quoted the Oxford English and Chambers Dictionaries definitions as supporting this position.

I'm having trouble finding a dictionary definition that says as much.

Chambers:

fine: (noun) an amount of money to be paid as a penalty, constituting a punishment for breaking a regulation or law.

charge: (noun) an amount charged; a price, fee, or cost

Hi All.

I got my 3rd letter today, i have had the 2 from UKPC since the 19th july 09 i now have my 3rd letter from a DCA called Debt Recoveries Plus LTD. phone no 0844 561 0965. does anyone no of these muppets. they seem to have gone straight to ITENDED LITIGATION and court stage unless i pay the fee of now £141.75 within 10 days. saying they will give ccj and the like, its been since the so called offence the 9th july.09.

im not gonna pay it at all.

My advice is based on my opinion and my experience. It is not to be taken as legal advice as I am not legally qualified

If my advice has been helpful, please take a moment to click on the scales

on the bottom left hand side of my profile :p

hi guy/girls

im new but ive been having a little look at this site after getting a ukpc parking ticket in july. it was at bath rd trading estate in slough, berkshire. i had parked (yes hands up) over two marked bays on a fairly quite day. the reason is my car being a expensive mitsubishi evo 9 and the thought of any type of car dings from mind-less drivers (happened before) is not worth the costly hassle. i procceded to buy £200+ in b&q.

15 mins later i find a ticket stating the offence. upon examining the ticket i find what i class as a big mistake, the date 28-07-08. one year out of date!!! i wrote explaining the mistake and said it was invaild and should be cancelled. they wrote back basically stating what was written on the signs and no word about my letter. it also stated that my payment was put on hold for 7 days due to the appeal but three days later a demand for £90 arrived.

i have no intetion in paying and have no worries about "door stop visits" which would be illegal if not instructed from the courts. of course these are just harrassment techniques to get the money from vunerable people.

but im intersted on your take on my little situation. what you reckon?

cheers

Hi All.

I got my 3rd letter today, i have had the 2 from UKPC since the 19th july 09 i now have my 3rd letter from a DCA called Debt Recoveries Plus LTD. phone no 0844 561 0965. does anyone no of these muppets. they seem to have gone straight to ITENDED LITIGATION and court stage unless i pay the fee of now £141.75 within 10 days. saying they will give ccj and the like, its been since the so called offence the 9th july.09.

im not gonna pay it at all.

ANYONE please. My orginal fee was 45 pound a month ago 2 weeks after was 90 pound now within a month 141.75 can they charge this amount.

I have never contacted these muppets at all.

Edited by Like-Im-Being-Ripped-Off

My advice is based on my opinion and my experience. It is not to be taken as legal advice as I am not legally qualified

ANYONE please. My orginal fee was 45 pound a month ago 2 weeks after was 90 pound now within a month 141.75 can they charge this amount.

No, but they can ASK for any amount they like, they could even ask for £1,000,000 if they want, but whether they would get it, like the £141.75 is another matter.

Carry on ignoring.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Or if it makes you sleep easier. Pay it.

But you would be silly to do so as they prey on respectable people who have respect for 'authority'. The trouble is, they have no authority, and you're falling into a trap.

Ignore it - and if you can't, pay it.

Al27 - In the case i was refering to he held that the words fine and charge had entirely different meanings and therefore he couldn't be held to account if the wrong term had been used.

The Sheriff at the first hearing didn't agree, so he appealled. The Sheriff hearing the appeal didn't agree with him either and, as part of his reasoning quoted entries from the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary and Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary as follows - The defender's argument appears to me to be disingenuous. The meaning of 'fine' in this context is obviously 'fee'. That is one of the meanings of 'fine' given in standard dictionaries: 'a fee paid for any privilege' (Shorter Oxford English Dictionary); 'a fee paid on some particular occasion' (Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary). As the Sheriff points out, a familiar example of the use of 'fine' in this sense occurs where a lending library requires a borrower returning an overdue book to pay a 'fine'.

As this has now been accepted as case law, it seems a bit pointless to argue that these are not the correct definitions, as stated by the learned Sheriff.

Reading further about Mr Onifade, he practices employment and immigration law in Edinburgh and also stood as a prospective candidate for the Scottish Parliament and is a Race Equality Advisor to Strathclyde Police.

He has been before the appeal court on another claim, against the Secretary of State for Social Security seeking justice by examining technicalities - that is the point I was making.

In Scotland at least, the spirit of the law seems to have a bearing on the outcome of cases, whereas in England more weight is given to the letter of the law.

If he felt the Sheriff was wrong I am certain he would have taken it further given his legal knowledge and track record of appeals.

Sorry if my previous comment didn't make this clear. The Sheriff's response and definitions can be read in the written judgement just google (The University of Edinburgh against Daniel Onifade)

Hi all, I am just looking for some advice really. I received a letter from UKPC re a 10 min over stay in one of there car parks ( I was actually sat on the phone to my partner in the car hence the over stay, I did not even see any signs ) I admitted on the phone to the company that I was the driver however explainned my situation and it also took me a number of minutes to exit the car park. The genteleman on the phone was so rude infact close to harrassment and insisted I paid, I then decided to write an email of complaint, anyway to cut a long story short the orginal person I spoke to Mr Peter Haswell was also as it seems awnsering my emails and basically ignoring any of my questions and insisting I pay. I am not paying however do I use the templates to reply or just ignore ??? I have loads of evdience agaisnt the company in the form of the emails and also discrimination as they have just let an elderly man of the fine an for a 6 min stay in the same car park, just because I am younger they are saying I must pay, this has all been on the front page of our local paper. Any advice pleassssse ?????? sorry in advance if I posted this incorrectly !!!

The Sheriff at the first hearing didn't agree, so he appealled. The Sheriff hearing the appeal didn't agree with him either and, as part of his reasoning quoted entries from the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary and Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary as follows - The defender's argument appears to me to be disingenuous. The meaning of 'fine' in this context is obviously 'fee'. That is one of the meanings of 'fine' given in standard dictionaries: 'a fee paid for any privilege' (Shorter Oxford English Dictionary); 'a fee paid on some particular occasion' (Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary). As the Sheriff points out, a familiar example of the use of 'fine' in this sense occurs where a lending library requires a borrower returning an overdue book to pay a 'fine'.

I don't agree. The two words are completely distinct and I fail to see how a fine can anything other than punitive. It's wider purpose in this instance is to draw parallels with legitimate fines backed by statute.

Lending libraries do charge fines as they are entitled to under the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964 I believe.

Hi Kels2010 and welcome to CAG,

As you have found any sort of appeal or reasoning is a complete waste of your time and money.

The best advice is to ignore these clowns and the various threats they will now send you escalating in seriousness. They are all designed to eventually frighten you into paying.

So treat them as they have treated you, ignore them.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Or if it makes you sleep easier. Pay it.

But you would be silly to do so as they prey on respectable people who have respect for 'authority'. The trouble is, they have no authority, and you're falling into a trap.

Ignore it - and if you can't, pay it.

As i say BUZBY i wont be ever paying it.:-D

I don't agree. The two words are completely distinct and I fail to see how a fine can anything other than punitive. It's wider purpose in this instance is to draw parallels with legitimate fines backed by statute.

Lending libraries do charge fines as they are entitled to under the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964 I believe.

I take your point, but what we think is irrelevant here, it's the sheriff's decision that carries the weight in the real world. If his decision had been so questionable, I doubt an experienced lawyer like Mr Onifade would have accepted the ruling.

This is not to anybody Spacific.

I had a fine/ticket/invoice/whatever you want to call it from ukpc in april.

I Ignored the letters (5) Inc balif threats etc...Boring

They did look up my number on Bt.com directory, not very hard seeing they allready paid £2.50 for my address from dlva.

I havent had a letter for 2 months now, i just laughed when they arrived, i took the advice from off here back in april and its all good.

Seriously, dont even bother worrying.

I still get the odd call and message from uk search limited saying we can work something out, ive never spoken to them, but i have allready sorted Everything :) I bin the lot!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4805 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks