JamPal -v- First Direct | CONCLUDED 09/06/06

JamPal
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

During a conversation with First Direct (I was chasing the 6 years of statements I had requested over the phone ) the chap let slip the name of the Data Security Manager at First Direct.

Her name is Linda Young, one of her key roles is ensuring FD do not breech the DPA. She is very good at getting your statements out to you next day. I wrote her a letter quoting some of the precident mentioned on here, (Smith v Lloyds etc) on Wednesday and sent it by Special delivery and this monring a parcel arrived.

Oh and she sent it free of charge BTW.

So to any one struggling to get information about their account from FD, you might like to address your DPA letters to:

Linda Young

First Direct

40 Wakefeild Road

Leeds

LS98 1FD

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

************Disclaimer *******Don't take my advice. I have no idea what I am talking about. If you take my advice you must be bonkers or something.

Blimey!

First 5 pages of 6 years accounts show over £150.00. If it keeps going like this for 139 pages i will be able to clear my FD loan.

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

************Disclaimer *******Don't take my advice. I have no idea what I am talking about. If you take my advice you must be bonkers or something.

Not sure if this will get an answer as I seem to have upset a very touchy moderator by starting a new thread for erm.. well a new thread. On any other forum I have ever used a new question goes on a new thread. Otherwise you cannot follow the subject matter of each thread, they will just wander off topic and the forum is rendered useless. So thanks for shouting at me. I will chance my arm here for clarification and leave you all in peace for ever more.

I am going through my statements now and some are marked -

Overdraft Fee - £15.00, this is not a fee for going over my limit, just a standard over draft fee as far as I can see. i assume I can't claim that back. Wher as the ones marked Excess overdraft fee i can claim. Is that right?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. Searching this site for Overdraft fee returns almost every post

Overdraft fee is for going over your overdraft during a statement month.

Excess overdraft fee is for going over you overdraft AGAIN in a statement month.

You can claim back both.

And yes, please use one thread for your claim.

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

Thanks for the answer.

Sorry I thought this was a forum not a blog. How does one search for topics of discussion then? I now have two topics in one thread. This place is very confusing.

Ok, Well they owe me £1173.00 the ffrrrkkkrrs.

It made me really angry and sick reading through it. The number of months where the charges took me over my limit and therefore caused more charges.. gggrrrr..

Sorry but one last question before i leave you all alone.

I understand that I do not claim the 8% APR on the money they owe me unless this goes to court.

Hwoever the charges took me further into my overdraft and therefore incurred interest in their own right. Does any one have a quick method for calculating how much this is and should I claim it?

I have read the step by step guides and the FAQ but can't find any help on this issue.

Thanks in advance. James.

If anyone could point me to the FAQ I have missed that would be very helpful. Thanks.

FAQ's : - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Stick around JP... This ain't such a bad place once you get to work out the few little quirks around the place...

It'll probably pay of financially as well as the karmic (sp?) good from helping others in the same position as yourself.

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

Seek advice of a qualified, insured, professional if you have any doubts.

Guest BlueRuby

Yes, Dinghy's right - you can get all the help you'll need right here so don't go just yet!

FAQ's : - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Stick around JP... This ain't such a bad place once you get to work out the few little quirks around the place...

It'll probably pay of financially as well as the karmic (sp?) good from helping others in the same position as yourself.

aww shucks.

Thanks guys. :-)

Letter sent thus not 5 minutes ago by recorded delivery.:

First Direct

40 Wakefield Road

Leeds

LS98 1FD

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxx

I now understand that the regime of ‘fees’, which you have been applying to my account in relation to exceeding overdraft limits and so forth, are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract, which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner that complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I always had confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken £1228.00.

I require repayment in full of this money within 14 days. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest and my costs and without further notice.

Yours faithfully,

James Palmer

Congrats... And another nail in the banks coffin is duely(sp?) hammered :D

Have you sent it through the website e-messaging service too ?

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

JamPal,

I can understand your frustrations with being "told off" or whatever, but the rules are there for a reason, and I'm sure you'll understand those reasons when you've stuck around for a while (which I hope you decide to do).

This site is all about people helping each other.

I hope you stick around, best of luck with your claim.

Keep us posted.

P.S: Are you related to Paypal? Is he your brother or something?! :-)

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

JamPal,

I can understand your frustrations with being "told off" or whatever, but the rules are there for a reason, and I'm sure you'll understand those reasons when you've stuck around for a while (which I hope you decide to do).

This site is all about people helping each other.

I hope you stick around, best of luck with your claim.

Keep us posted.

P.S: Are you related to Paypal? Is he your brother or something?! :-)

Haha! If I was related to paypal, do you think I would be over drawn. lol.

Thanks guys.

I run a forum of my own in my spare time, it's incredibly laid back, apart from when threads go "off topic". This one works differently and having read a lot more of it I can see why now. So no worries. ;-)

I tell you what, I find this so dissapointing as in all other respects i have found First Direct to be the best bank i have ever used. That may be blasphemy on here, but for me it's been true.

Cheers,

James Palmer,

In all other respects i have found First Direct to be the best bank i have ever used.

I said the same on another thread.

If it wasn't for the charges, fd really are fantastic;

No Indian Call Centres

No IVR systems (press 1 for XXX, press 2 to sue us, etc)

Friendly staff. One of their ad's had a customer on saying "it's just like talking to your mate" and that really is true in my opinion.

Online banking, whilst not great is FAR better than Halifax's system.

--

I said the same on another thread.

If it wasn't for the charges, fd really are fantastic;

No Indian Call Centres

No IVR systems (press 1 for XXX, press 2 to sue us, etc)

Friendly staff. One of their ad's had a customer on saying "it's just like talking to your mate" and that really is true in my opinion.

Online banking, whilst not great is FAR better than Halifax's system.

The talking to your mate thing is very true, and the person that answers the phone deals with your call from beginning to end. Very good IMO. Lloyds were embarrasingly bad and although I still have an account (parachute) with them I would never recoomend them to any one. I reccomend FD all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my "thanks for your letter, we will get back to you within 10 days" letter from them.

How amusing. They can't even count. If they don't respond within 7 days of them sending that letter they will have court proceedings against them as promised in my original letter.

Lets see if it gets that far. It probably will I think. They have until Friday to pay me back the money they stole. Next Monday morning I will be off to court.

Will I have to pay some fees up front on Monday BTW?

Will I have to pay some fees up front on Monday BTW?

Unfortunately you will, but you can add these to your claim.

Personally with my claim with cahoot the court fees went on my cahoot card and my claim against FD went on my FD solo card ! It just made it feel better somehow !

Don't know the exact way the fees are worked out, but I had to pay £120 for a £1228 claim against FD.

Don't forget to add in the interest. Because all of my charges were quite old £360 of the claim was for interest ! :D

Unfortunately you will, but you can add these to your claim.

Personally with my claim with cahoot the court fees went on my cahoot card and my claim against FD went on my FD solo card ! It just made it feel better somehow !

Don't know the exact way the fees are worked out, but I had to pay £120 for a £1228 claim against FD.

Don't forget to add in the interest. Because all of my charges were quite old £360 of the claim was for interest ! :D

Ok, thanks for the info.

I will be back here tonight working out the claim details and calculating interest. Shame really, but I can see why they do it. THey want there solicitors invloved to persuade you to sign a non disclosure agreement.

Hi all.

Just trying to work out the 8% interest for my claim on monday. I guess I need to enter every charge individually into the on line calculator and sum the interest on each to get my result.

In the interests of laxyness, Is there a spreadsheet anyone has done so that i can jsut fill in the columns and dates to get a quick answer?

Sorry to be lazy, I suppose I should knock one up myself but I hate to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks,

James.

Thanks for that.

Money claim filed just now. £1479.50 including the interest.

The Money claim form doesn't really lend itself to claiming interest which has occurred at different dates does it.

Should be ok though. I made myself clear enough.

Wish me kuck ;-)

James,

• 2 weeks later...

letter received from DG solicitors as per others here. Crossed out confidentiality, Signed and sent.

Thanks for all your help so far chaps and chapesses.

James.

Great news Jam old Pal (see what I did there, hey, hey?!)

Don't forget a donation to the site, maybe 5% when you get the money (which if you fax it back to DG you'll probably get into your account tomorrow or wednesday).

--

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks