Pub Doormen Stole From and Assulted Me...

iwgunter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5258 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was in a wellknown cheap drink pub chain on Dec 23rd and still had a pint of beer left when the doormen came around asking everyone to moove to the doors and drink up.

I asked for a plastic cup to pour mine into and was told that I would get an £80 fine from the police if they caught me drinking in the town centre. I said I'd take the risk and poured my beer into an empty water bottle, but they still wouldn't let me leave.

So I was drinking my drink and then the doormen snatched the bottle from out of my mouth and said "You're taking the p***", threw my drink in the bin and said "Now you can leave".

I asked him for his name which he refused to give, then gave me a false name of Jeff Bigglesworth.

I asked to look at his doorman's id card which was hanging around his neck, he said no so I went to reach out to look at it. As soon as I touched it, both him and his colleague threw me up against the wall.

They then proceeded to physically throw me out of the pub and lock the door. My fiance was still in the pub as she went to ask the manager what the doormans name is. The manager refused to tell her it.

She came back to the front door and they refused to let her out, as I was standing outside. They then made her wait about 5 minutes before sending her out the fire exit on her own at about 1.30am.

I'm going to be writing a letter the the pubs head office explaining all that happened and telling them that I want to know the doormans name as I'm going to be taking out civil action against him, and if they still refuse to give me his name, I will be taking action against the pub chain as a company for theft, 2 counts of assult, imprisonment and humiliation of me in front of my fiance, friends and member of the pubic. I will also be requesting a copy of the CCTV of the front doors of the pub.

Is there any legislation I can do this under and does the doorman HAVE to give me his name if he is there a a doorman?

Ta

Capital One - Charges

PAID OUT IN FULL WITH 8% INT

HSBC - Charges

Unfair Dismissal

PAID OUT FULL COMPENSATION

NCP PAD Parking 'Fine'

FULLY CANCELLED

I do agree with mailmannz, this would be a matter for the police, not a civil mattter through courts, what would you be asking the courts to do for you, reimburse the cost of a pint?

Mr & Mrs Bigboy

14/09/06 - Prelim letter sent

15/09/06 - Prelim letters received in Leeds & Canary Wharf (our branch)

29/09/06- LBA Sent

02/10/06 - LBA's received in Leeds & Canary Wharf (our branch)

13/10/06 - Received part offer - rejected

16/10/06 - MCOL issued

Quite report them to the police You can always explain the delay in that it was/is Xmas. Also if the pub is using unlicensed bouncers they could be in deep trouble. This might explain why they have refused to name the doorman.

Okie dokie.

The reason why he wouldn't tell me his name is because he is the smuggest of smugness and is always looking for someone to start the trouble so he can "restrain" them. I didn't really want the police involved as all I really want from him is an apology to me either in writing or in front of my finance and friends that were there.

Capital One - Charges

HSBC - Charges

Unfair Dismissal

NCP PAD Parking 'Fine'

FULLY CANCELLED

OK, Please dont have a go at me here BUT

You said you had been asked to drink up by the doorman and you promptly refused and asked for a plastic container. I would presume you were drinking 20 minutes after the drinkling up time allowed, hence commiting an offence and asking the licensse to do also. They refused because you could receive a fine but I also know in Sheffield if the police find someone drinking in the streets from containers obviously from Public Houses they ask the person where they have been drinking and will, if enough people are found, complain to the licensing sergent at the nick. Part of the granting of the licenses n Sheffield ask for retriction of drinking away from the premises in fact a few only have on licences.

While if anyone asks for my ID I happily show it however, you say you leaned forward to look at it and as soon as you touched it, he and his colleague pushed you against the wall. Not being funny but if a punter tried to lean forward and touch me after I had asked them to leave and had someone, imho, trying to take the mick (as he thought you were), I would restrain them then throw you out.

You say 2 counts of assault, I can only read one. Was there another incident?

Theft, I presume is taking the drink off you after being asked to drink it up. If it was taken from you after the 20 minute drinking up time, I doubt you would receive any joy.

Not sticking up for the doorman as I know and have seen 35Xs worse what you are describing believe me but in 7 years of doing the job I have never had to hit anyone and like I said, would happily show anyone my ID card.

By all means go to the police if you believe you have a case, but I think he would say you tried to assault him first (the lunge for his ID card) and he was acting in self defence.

Isiris

The Devils Advocate :)

• Haha 1

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

I asked to look at his doorman's id card which was hanging around his neck, he said no so I went to reach out to look at it. As soon as I touched it, both him and his colleague threw me up against the wall.

Without wanting to get into a debate about the rights and wrongs of you being asked to leave the pub, I would just offer a word of caution regarding the alleged assault on you.

In the quote above from your original post you say "As soon as I touched it....". In his defence the doorman could argue that you had assaulted him first by merely touching his ID badge and he (rightly or wrongly) feared a further, more serious assault.

In the title to the thread you use the word "stole". What was "stolen"? Was it a platic bottle containing beer? That's the only possible conclusion I can aome to based on what you say.

If you were on licenced premises after the recognised drinking-up time I would respectfully suggest he had every right to relieve you of the beer....possibly to prevent the committing of an offence.

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

It was 1.13am when I was actually thrown out of the pub, therefore I still had 7 minutes to drink up.

The first count of assault is when he snatched the bottle from my mouth, not only yanking my arm in the process, but pouring drink down my front.

He could've explained to me why the pub cannot give plastics and I would've been happy with that, but as he didn't, I wasn't.

I was not drunk or abusive, merry and happy. The doorman in question is a complete git anyway and nearly all my friends have lodged complaints to the pub about him previously anyway.

I'm not bothered about the price of the drink, or the assault, but I think that if people are going to be employed in a position of power and then flout it and get "trigger-happy" then they need be accountable for their actions.

Capital One - Charges

HSBC - Charges

Unfair Dismissal

NCP PAD Parking 'Fine'

FULLY CANCELLED

Then report it to the police.

Mr & Mrs Bigboy

14/09/06 - Prelim letter sent

15/09/06 - Prelim letters received in Leeds & Canary Wharf (our branch)

29/09/06- LBA Sent

02/10/06 - LBA's received in Leeds & Canary Wharf (our branch)

13/10/06 - Received part offer - rejected

16/10/06 - MCOL issued

Read the SIA website (security industry Authority)

doorman are licenced and have to abide by a code of conduct,

see what their complaints procedure is. maybe they have some bite.:evil:

you don't have any rights to drinking up time at all its a common mistake - the pub CAN offer up to the allotted time but don't have to, also as it is private premises they can ask you to leave at any time. Unless they have a license to sell alcohol for consumption on and off the premises the bouncer had every right to stop you taking the drink out. As someone also pointed out - you assualted the bouncer first by entering his personal space and touching him. I wouldn't bother pursuing this, the police def won't be interested and if you complain to the brewary/chain head office then you may find yourself barred not just from that pub but also all the others in the area using the same security firm.

• 3 years later...
He could've explained to me why the pub cannot give plastics and I would've been happy with that, but as he didn't

According to your original post he did explain.

was told that I would get an £80 fine from the police if they caught me drinking in the town centre.

• 3 weeks later...

Do we know this was 3 years ago ?

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth