Advice for my daughter please. Overpayment claim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

My daughter left new employment after about 6 weeks. She was still on probation and it was her first employment after a long term illness. The reasons behind leaving are for another day but I'll briefly outline her problem. She was sent a letter stating that she had been overpaid and that she needed to repay it by a certain date. The letter had no letterhead, for a large company. There is no breakdown of this overpayment, all she has is the two wage slips. The last wage slip she recieved, she recieved a very small amount of money. She doesn't dispute being off sick but there is nothing to show how the overpayment has occurred or if this is accurate. She has now received a 'Final notice' letter. 

3008231.pdf 3008232.pdf

11 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

Hi.

Do you think you could show us the payslips [without personal information] please? Also, has she asked for a breakdown of how the figure owed was calculated?

HB

The relationship between her and the company had broken down so she has not been in further contact with them. 

wage slips.pdf

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Please can you tell us more about it.
What was her normal wage and what is the extent of the alleged overpayment.

How old is your daughter?

And frankly you may as well name the company. There is no downside to you in this at all.

She is 29, has multiple health issues of which the company were aware at the interview including Fibromyalgia , ADHD and Autism (linked to learning). She started working with them a few weeks ago with no training, which she was suposed to have.

She was reprimanded a couple of times by one of the directors in front of customers which left her visibly shaken. Several occurences of bullying happened in the time which eventually made her ill. She had several days off, on one occasion she passed out in the store and an ambulance was called.

The management were happy with her work but the attitude of the director made her ill. She mutually agreed with managers to eventually leave. While under employment legislation we know she was under the 2 year rule, there were several shortcomings. The company is Specsavers. 

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

You say that your daughter had a long-term illness – please can you tell us briefly what kind of illness this was and how long it endured. Did the company know about it?
Is your daughter now clear of this illness?

She worked there for approximately 5 weeks. The fibromyalgia is long term but is aggravated by stress and anxiety. 

• Thanks 1

• Nicky Boy changed the title to Advice for my daughter please. Overpayment claim?

Thankyou very much for this. I do appreciate the time you have put into it. I did read the estoppel thread a few times to try and understand what it meant. Yes she did take the overpayment in good faith and wasnt nor wouldn't have been aware of this had she carried on in her employment with no further sickness events and felt the need to go. She left under mutual agreement with the manager who said she needed time to get better, and agreed that she wasn't the happy person who had started there several weeks previously. 

• Like 1

Thankyou its definitely something to consider. She did join a union but there is not much they seem to be able to assist with considering she was only in employment for a short period. She is still living at home at the moment. She has had to begin a claim for UC again so is living in limbo financially. She has a disability under the UC rules.