Evri driver claims one of the dogs has bitten him

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 277 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Irrespective of the driver's motives and whether you think he is right you must send this letter to your insurers immediately and without replying to it yourself. 

It is a formal letter of claim from a solicitor alleging that your dog on your premises caused personal injury to the driver and wanting financial compensation from you. Your insurance policy will have a condition requiring you to send it straight to insurers and they will deal with the solicitor direct. If you don't do this your insurers could refuse to deal with the claim if the driver later took you to court.

If insurers decide the driver has a case then your insurers will pay it. There is not  normally any excess on cover for third party personal injury claims so insurers would pay from the first £.

Your insurers will ask you for a written statement of what you know so you will have the chance to tell them everything you have told us here.

EDIT I'm not sure whether this claim is against you or your mother. If it's against your mother then she must send it to her insurers.

Passing the letter to insurers to deal with is definitely not admitting liability. It's simply that your insurers deal with third party claims on your behalf. 

I'm not surprised the solicitor is acting for the driver personally as I believe all Evri delivery drivers are self-employed.

To clarify the point Manxman raises about which insurer, I mean the household/home insurer of the occupier of the house where the driver was bitten. I assume the occupier is your mother/parents.  If she/they has separate buildings and contents policies it is the insurers of the contents (not the buildings insurer) because the claim is being made against the occupier, it's an 'occupiers liability' claim. 

Whether there is any complication later because it is your dog not theirs we can't say at this stage. But don't overcomplicate it. Right now the claim hasn't been made against the dog's owner, it's been sent to the occupier of the premises where the incident occurred. Unsurprisingly it won't be addressed to them by name as the driver probably doesn't know their name. But there's little point in ignoring it on that technicality as the solicitor would soon be able to find out who occupies the premises by using enquiry agents if you do nothing. And the cost of that gets added to the claim.

1 hour ago, Halfwaythere said:

what I found strange to in the letter it gives the drivers address date of birth and national insurance number, I thought that would be against gdpr rules 

Why? The information has been given (presumably) with the driver's consent. You can disclose any personal information you like about yourself.

Anyway there's a reason why the information is given, which is that if at a later date your insurers do make a compensation payment the NHS can make a recovery from the insurer of their treatment costs if the driver received hospital treatment. The DoB/NINO allows the injured person to be correctly identified.

Pass it to your mother's/parents insurers asap. It doesn't matter what you believe, it may invalidate your mother's/parents' insurance if you try to deal with it yourself.

Insurance companies are very well aware that third parties exaggerate, invent, and tell outright lies to try and get money from insurers. They deal with third party solicitors trying it on every day. They are well used to investigating the allegations and rejecting them if they can't be substantiated.

All the reasons you think the driver isn't being truthful you can put in your/your mother's statement to insurers so that their lawyers can take them into account.

You can't. The third party has issued a demand for compensation to your mother as occupier of the premises where the alleged incident occurred. Your mother can't transfer the claim to you.  The most likely result of you contacting the solicitor and saying 'it was my dog' would be that you would be added to the claim as a co-defendant, not that your mother would be deleted from it.

Were you there when the alleged incident occurred?

• Like 1