Invalid Motor Insurance

ABC123XYZ
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased temporary motor insurance which was non refundable under the companies terms.

The application was made on the phone and then said they would call back after doing checks on the licence number.

They then called back asking for NI number to make further checks. Application was completed and payment was made and policy details emailed.

Within 24 hours I realised the licence had expired a year earlier and noticed on the documents that the policy is immediately invalid if the licence isnt valid. The company are refusing to refund despite calling them within 24 hours to tell them.

Is there anything I can do?

It's not the insurer's responsibility to check your licence validity. All they would have done with your licence number is check the Motor Insurance Database to confirm your claim and conviction history was as you claimed it to be.

What length of time was this policy meant to cover you for, and how much did it cost you? You may find that once you deduct an amount pro-rata for the number of days cover you would have enjoyed had your licence been valid, plus their 'reasonable' admin costs, there really wouldn't be any meaningful refund to speak of anyway.

Conversely, if the amount you paid was substantial then it may be worth pursuing. I'm certainly not the authority on this, but I'd be surprised if a blanket 'no refunds, full stop' can be enforceable. Do they publish cancellation terms?

Thanks for your reply.

It was a 30 day cover for £400 which was paid on credit card. The broker emailed documents to me containing the no refund policy on short term cover and its on the underwriters website.

Edited by ABC123XYZ

So as non refundable under terms, then you don't have official way of challenging.

You could contact credit card company and request section s.75 refund on the basis of an error (your error), but they might not accept this.  And even if they did accept and refund, the Insurance company would chase you for the debt owed.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread