Exemption from Council Tax & Use of Bins

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My father has moved into a care home leaving his house empty & so I am planning to apply for a Council tax exemption on his behalf.

I regularly visit the house to keep it and the garden maintained. Once I have applied for an exemption will I be permitted to continue using the bin service? I cannot find anything on the Council's website and their outsourced call centre is extremely hard to contact.

My reading is that it's indefinite so long as he is permanently in a nursing home (different to deceased when I think the exemption is for a limited time as you describe).

Anyhow, you are confident that it's OK to use the bins?

Cheers

I guess I am thinking of both as I need to keep the garden under control as well as de-clutter the house.

It looks as if my father was paying an annual fee by DD for the garden bin - so do you reckon I will just need to continue with that? Should be easy enough as I can just leave the DD intact - unless the exemption causes it to be automatically cancelled.

OK thanks.

It seems that the consensus is that I really need to persevere with the call centre (council tax has been outsourced to Capita & I tend to give up after listening to music for 30 minutes). I might try one of my father's local councillors - they may have contacts that the public do not.

• I agree 1