Housing Association taking away internet access due to kiosk mode

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 619 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They might mistakenly think they are protecting you from scams and phishing, but sadly Kiosk mode is a chocolate fireguard as far as digital inclusion is concerned, one way might be to get a cheap tablet with a 4G data SIM in it, but its a bit shady when most online activities require full access to email etc.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have asked someone I know in TPAS the Tenants Participation Advisory Service what they would recommend without disclosing more than the basic facts as presented, and what redress they think there could be.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

All salient questions, that will help frame further advice, one other, Is the Computer on its own  unique internet connection, or accesses internet through the HA network?

Looks to me to be IT dept control freakery, as in lock it all down to make it in their mind safe, many firms and HA do lock out USB functionality to stop potential malware getting on if stick infected with something. 

Looks to me like they are just being petty to make their life easier.

Presumably this isn't  the same computer that has been there for 12 years?

They are being totally unhelpful by locking it down so its just a browser with no other interaction than viewing as a kiosk.  Sadly many HA don't actually engage with Tenants as they should.

I will have a think around possible actions and ways to get them to reinstate what was previously in place.

Which HA is this, and are you in England? There are standards they have to maintain, also that PC is so old its likely way past its use by date creaking under Edge.  Is there any way one of your healthcare Professionals could help you source your own PC in your flat, maybe one of the Computer recycling charities are some  essential user Broadband deals available

From Post#1 :

"There have been no problems with it for all the years I've been here, but just recently, the housing association changed the browser from Google Chrome to Microsoft Edge, configured in 'Kiosk Mode'. Kiosk Mode only allows you to surf the Web, and nothing more - the rest of the computer is locked out. This means you can't send a document as an email attachment, because there's no way of uploading it. It also means that if you book anything online that requires a printed document - say, you book a budget flight and you need to print boarding passes - you can't. It also means that if you send any information to an organisation via its own online form, and you want to have a record of what you've written, you can't copy and paste it to Notepad in order to save it as a document. I and one or two other tenants like cooking recipes we find on the Internet, but this is now very difficult because we can't download and print the recipes to take them back to our kitchens. We can't even copy and paste within the browser now. "

Don't think the real issue is Edge of itself, more the loss of interaction so they disabled USB so can't copy files, can't cut and paste to save, no printer attached therefore cannot print nor save a file to transfer to USB to print elsewhere

Its running in a View Only Kiosk Mode, like a local information booth terminal.

As to browser's I personally have no special preference I use  Linux, but the user's in these flats are used to chrome, so can't see why they can't both be on there.

Looks like the HA IS the problem DX one question for Dave2019 do the HA staff when they do come in use that computer at all?

Reason being they might want to lock you all out due to a Data Security Policy they implemented for GDPR, they do get paranoid some HA IT depts.

Good solution would be as DX suggests a shared connection,  if another Tenant has their own Broadband and wifi router  or something like BT essentials if you can manage £15 per month cut the HA out of the loop.

As you are disabled have you claimed all your entitlements along with Pension like Attandance Allowance?

• Like 1

That HA might well need something like this to show it how it should be engaging with Tenants, something also available from TPAS in England.  Likely that HA not affiliated to TPAS

WWW.TPAS.CYMRU

Is Tenant Participation at the heart of everything your organisation does? Does the culture of your organisation live and breathe TP?

That's superb Stu, I would also imagine if that's the same PC and not changed for 12 years it would be like wading through treacle if Win 10 is the distributed desktop.  That HA has shown exactly how not to engage with elderly Tenants.  I would definitely send that letter as provided and maybe set up a Tenants group within the block to collate other issues you can present a united front in presenting to the HA, using the computer as the lever for further complaints on other omissions like tardy repairs etc.  

They probably could arrange it to be standalone with a desktop on the local machine with security measures to allow local storage, and file transfer, but likely the IT crowd just want an easy life. Better still give it a separate connection wouldn't cost more than  10 pence a week each likely from 45 residents  and cut the Cisco out of the equation, but that would mean site visits.

And send that letter as suggested by stu007 its not fit for purpose as it is Like stu I have been on a HA board and IT dept would have had a severe tolchok from the Board if the IT dept there had pulled that stunt across elderly tenants.  That HA was s providing IT training for elderly residents and how to surf safely without locking them out. That Council bod obviously doesn't understand the real issue.

That needs to be part of the Letter of Complaint, as they have knowingly withdrawn user priveliges unilaterally with no consultation or explanation, that basically renders the computer unfit for its original purpose of giving tenants secure online access.

22 hours ago, Dave2019 said:

For years, every tenant had their own private account if they wanted one. This meant that when you switched the computer on, you got a screen with a list of tenants, each one with an 'avatar' just to the left of the name (if they wanted an avatar). You clicked on your name, then put in your own indidivual password, to gain access to the computer. This meant you could store files securely, you could have your own set of bookmarks for the Internet, and so on.

Yes as per myself and Stu send that Formal Complaint clearly worded as such if you can get other Tenants to sign it as well, or even send their own complaint, and include that wording you posted here in the letter of complaint it succinctly illustrates what the issue is and what pertained previously I would also copy it to that useless Council zonk.

Might be worth shaming them in the press if the complaint goes unheeded, nothing worse than pushing a digital divide on elderly residents of a block like yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree make sure it sghows that you are being effectively digitally excluded were before you had reasonable viable access.  Looks like that HA is not a TPAS member as well.

No harm done  I see DX's point about as short letter, however what you have written has entirely illustrated what the issues are and what prevailed before, anyway, give them time and chase up as suggested above, meanwhilesee if the local press are interested, As the government and councils want digital delivery maybe the press will catch on to how the HA have actually Digitally Excluded tyou unilaterally when you had a workable IT provision they have now revoked with no reason given.

Agree Stu, they should be enabling their Tenants not digitally crippling them unable to use a service they enjoyed for more thabn a decade. Local Press is good idea, maybe even a national one both left and right wing Guardian, Mail etc. n This HA mus t be shamed and outed as uncaring and dictatorial.  as an aside and it can be indicative of the HA management culture, what is their record with Repairs as in ease of reporting and response?    Might just be another angle to use as an aside in any press attack.

Ideally there could be a broadband and closed WiFi for Tenants, some have PC's but can't afford the connection, however, it seems the HA is not willing to listen, so what good their welfare team would do is another story it seems.

I mentioned this thread to TPAS, they were horrified by this TPAS is the Tenants participation  Advisory Service, for those unaware wonder if this Association is a TPAS member,  if it is it should would know that their action is not the correct way to deal with tenants and Digital Inclusion.  If it is a member of TPAS might be worth giving them a call and see if they can help.

WWW.TPAS.ORG.UK

We're Tpas, England's leading tenant engagement experts. We've been representing our members across England since 1988 and our...

In Wales TPAS Cymru

WWW.TPAS.CYMRU

TPAS Cymru supports social housing tenants and landlords across Wales to develop effective participation and engagement in housing. We provide...

From their Digital plan on that leaflet

"To build our DIGITAL CONNECTIVITY
contribution we will:
l Continue to deliver a range of virtual
engagement roles, activities and projects.
l Work with internal and external
stakeholders to identify digitally excluded
customers and those with equipment or
broadband needs to direct them into free
local training and funding.
l Develop and publish a directory of free
learning opportunities including face
to face, and online courses, plus an
online drop in live chat help centre for
customers who need immediate support.
l Support customers who are digitally
excluded.
l Explore new and innovative engagement
approaches including smart technology.
l Carry out a customer digital access
survey to inform our approach to digital
delivery and communications.
l Develop and pilot accessibility-enhancing
communal spaces for customers.
l Continue to develop and deliver our
Digital4Everyone programme.
l Engage customers in the exploration and
implementation of smart technology"

mammoth Fail in this case, they are talking the talk but not implementing what they promise.

• Like 1

Hits the spot, might be good to  precis it a bit, rather than give chapter and verse of the previous complaint concentrate on the lack of functionality the lack of training and the seeming lack of interest of the IT dept who think Tenants are like staff told to switch off and on again when there is a problem they could easily put an adblocker on and they should, They have not taken into account what they promise in their leaflet about  Digital inclusion hold them to what they promise in that document you uploaded for us to check.

That kicks them where they need it Stu, they have failed abysmally, also, if no housing staff use it, there is no need for it to be on the HA network, a discrete broadband connection would not be too expensive to provide, nor would training and an attached all in one Printer/Scanner/Copier, a laser device preferably, also would allow a better experience for Residents. allowing all the functionality they might need like copying of DWP pensions letter#s etc, as well as allowing digital scans

As to TPAS I have searched and yes Platform are TPAS members, Tenants can also join TPAS, so I would say maybe Dave 2019 might consider joining, its usually free for Tenants, and what they offer is an insight into the sector and how to keep an eye on your landlord and hold them to their promises.

Platform is the sixth Association in that list

WWW.TPAS.ORG.UK

Tpas member search

• 2 weeks later...

That would be good, stick it on YouTube and embarass them if someone could gfilm it and do that.

OOPS a typo  ....an over sensitive mechie keyboard I meant Film, I do  film and edit video.  I also would have offered if I was close but I'm up in North Wales Even if someone trusted could film with a smartphone that would also be good, you can get excellent video from phones.

• 2 weeks later...

That is superb stu, it should hit a couple of raw nerves, and is exactly the sort of response to expose their intransigence.

An excellent response, they should take you up on that if they have any nose for a story.

Yes their document is the best weapon to use against them they have breached every commitment in there at The Firs.